For those beginners who may acquire basic knowledge about a metal detector, choosing the first one is a pain. An expensive and sophisticated device is not a good option for new users with a broad wide range of settings and functions.
That is why it is better to go around to look for an entry-level branded metal tool with essential features.
Here is our practical advice to help you go ahead with the best metal detector for beginners:
Here are the best metal detectors for beginners you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall: NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Junior Metal Detector
- Versatile: Fisher F22 Weatherproof Metal Detector with Submersible Search Coil
- Best For Coins: INTEY Metal Detector Waterproof
- Best For Beach: Avid Power Metal Detector
- Lightweight: Bounty Hunter BHJS Junior Metal Detector
- Best For Deep Seeking: Viewee Metal Detector
|Top 6 Best Metal Detectors For Beginners|
|NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Junior Metal Detector||Read Our Review|
|Fisher F22 Weatherproof Metal Detector with Submersible Search Coil||Read Our Review|
Best For Coins
|INTEY Metal Detector Waterproof||Read Our Review|
Best For Beach
|Avid Power Metal Detector||Read Our Review|
|Bounty Hunter BHJS Junior Metal Detector||Read Our Review|
Best For Deep Seeking
|Viewee Metal Detector||Read Our Review|
Best Overall: NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Junior Metal Detector
- Lightweight and portable, 1.4 lbs
- Large water-proof dual coil, 7.5 inches
- Deep detection, 10 inches
- Easy to use
- Cheaply-made arm extension.
- Detection modes are not always correct.
If you are looking for a moderate cost and quality device, NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Junior Metal Detector is the best metal detector for amateurs on the market.
The most highlight of this kind of machine is lightweight. It weighs only 1.4 pounds as well as collapses to a small size that is more portable for users to travel around.
The respectable 7.5 inch-square search soil is a key plus. It’s large enough to cover more ground faster. With the detection depth reaching more than 10 inches beneath the land, the tool is exceptionally perfect for treasure hunting.
Further, the ease of use is suitable for new detectorists. The metal device comes with a padded arm strap and soft grip, which is easily adjusted to any sizes.
Accordingly, the LED light flashes and the pinpointer sounds “beep” when it locates metal that helps to quickly find objects buried underground.
Despite some ideas from the efficiency of detection mode, the product is still worth a good budget option.
|NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Junior Metal Detector Specifications|
26 x 10,2 x 4 inches
6 - 10 inches deep
A LED light
Adjustable arm strap
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Junior Metal Detector is a perfect option for budding detectorists.
Versatile: Fisher F22 Weatherproof Metal Detector with Submersible Search Coil
- Easy to use
- Fast processing speed
- Not completely water-resistant, only search coil.
If you carry on treasure prospecting in extreme conditions, Fisher F22 is a fantastic weatherproof metal detector. Uniquely, the submersible search coil enables users to take the ideal device on the beach or rainy days.
Similarly, the detector is well - equipped with four modes of operation, namely jewellery, coins, valuable artefacts, and custom that let beginners extend a wide range of buried targets in the 9-inch deep underground.
On top of that, the device features adjustable iron audio or Fe-Tone that exaggerates iron signals, and consequently, saves time to find targets without digging unwanted ones.
Also, the packages of these features, such as 9-Segment Target Categories, a 0-99 numeric Target-ID, and 4-Tone Audio-ID System, make it easy to identify objects.
In addition to two AA batteries for 25-30 hours of use, the detector is extremely lightweight at 2.3 pounds and comes with a 5-year warranty. That is why it is a value choice for that money.
|Fisher F22 Weatherproof Metal Detector with Submersible Search Coil Specifications|
22 x 8 x 5 inches
9 inches deep
9-Segment Target Categories
0-99 numeric Target-ID
Fisher F22 Weatherproof Metal Detector is versatile and well-equipped with high-quality features.
Best For Coins: INTEY Metal Detector Waterproof
- Waterproof stem and coil
- Easy to assemble
- Lightweight, 1.3 lbs
- High sensitivity
- The control panel is not water-resistant.
- The display doesn’t identify specific metals.
INTEY Metal Detector Waterproof is a superb cool tool for both adults and kids within a small budget. Indeed, with considerable qualities, users will have a great pastime of coin shooting by the device.
Initially, the detector is well-built with the waterproof stem and coil that makes it possible for use outdoors or on any terrains. Besides, the length-adjustable stem offers a different height of the human body from 33.5 to 45 inches which helps out for parents and kids for hunting.
Another factor to make this device trendy for unprofessional users is high sensitivity coil. That feature enables users to detect even small metal parts like rare coins, ancient relics, lost jewellery, gold nuggets, or rings. And, buzzer and LED light alert to remind you not to miss targets.
There are also some benefits like ultra-lightweight, easy to assemble, and use. It has two modes of operation, such as discrimination mode and metal mode. While disc mode is used to eliminate the targets you don’t want, the metal mode helps to locate all metals.
|INTEY Metal Detector Waterproof Specifications|
8 inches deep
2 modes of operation
9-volt alkaline battery
8-inch waterproof coil
INTEY Metal Detector Waterproof is a perfect choice to help you come into your hobbies and lead kids to the world of coin shooting.
Best For Beach: Avid Power Metal Detector
- High accuracy
- Ergonomic design
- The control box is not water-resistant.
Avid Power Metal Detector is one of the best beach metal detectors on the market because it is well-structured by top-notch functions in a cost-effective budget option.
The first top feature of a beach metal explorer is waterproof. The device has a submersible search coil which can be used underwater, or on the beach and riversides as well. The large LCD is a key plus which offers the detection mode, sensitivity, and battery level.
The detector can tell what type of metal explorers have searched out through the arrow to the left of the target icon.
Also, like the other detector system, the small machine has all-metal mode and discrimination mode that enables users to detect their targets and eliminate unwanted objects.
Besides, high accuracy plays another essential role to build strengths for this tool. It features three distinctive audio tones of a low, medium, or high level to identify different metals. And, the pinpoint button has buried objects discovered accurately.
|Avid Power Metal Detector Specifications|
17.3 x 11.5 x 5.7 inches
7 inches deep
9-volt alkaline battery
Metal audio tone
Length-adjustable stem (33-47 inches)
Avid Power Metal Detector is one of the top-notch beach metal explorers for beginners.
Lightweight: Bounty Hunter BHJS Junior Metal Detector
- Lightweight, 1.5 lbs
- Easy to use
- Weather-resistant coil
- Good search depth
- A bit pricey for children’s device
Bounty Hunter BHJS Junior metal is a fantastic gift for children from 6 to 12 which leads them to the world of treasure hunting. Even the tool weighs only 1.5 pounds, and it still features the same functions as professional devices.
With the discrimination mode and target indicator meter, it allows kids to detect coin-sized objects in 5 inches deeps as well as larger objects to 3 feet deep. The accurate search system helps to determine a specific location significantly and saves time not to dig out the unnecessary items.
In addition to incredible search depth, the tool impressed users through the ease of handling. The ergonomic design offers a comfortable grip and a 6.5-inch weather-resistant coil that helps amateurs search their targets easily with one hand in any conditions of weather.
|Bounty Hunter BHJS Junior Metal Detector Specifications|
10 x 9 x 57 inches
5 inches - 3 feet deep
Child-size for 6-12
9-volt alkaline battery
Bounty Hunter BHJS Junior Metal Detector is very lightweight for kids to carry easily around.
Best For Deep Seeking: Viewee Metal Detector
- Lightweight, 2.9 lbs
- Easy to use
- Height adjustable
- Good search depth, 8 inches deep
- Quite expensive
Viewee Metal Detector is one more fantastic gift for children as well as amateurs that helps them explore and uncover things underground outdoors.
A big part of having success with this machine is its search depth. It allows junior users to detect their targets beneath the surface up to 8 inches deep.
With a classic style, the product is user-friendly designed with a simple power switch. Users can start its operation by rolling over the button ahead until it can spot metal items, as the light turns red.
Then, they need to roll back the button to maximum sensitivity to identify targets precisely. High performance enables budding detectors to explore in many adventurous places, likely in the garden or on the beach, in the park or outdoor locations.
Additionally, the adjustable stem and coil are easy to use according to different locations. For the reason that they are designed with waterproof material, this metal detector can be used in all weather or wet conditions.
Even so, like other low-end products, its display panel is not water-resistant, so users need to be careful to avoid damaging it.
|Viewee Metal Detector Specifications|
7.4 x 5.1 x 28.1 inches
8 inches deep
Height-adjustable stem (27.5 - 35.4 inches)
100% waterproof coil
Viewee Metal Detector is an ideal purchase for those beginners who prefer an extensive search depth.
How To Choose The Best Metal Detectors For Beginners?
- Treasure hunting, a popular recreational activity for all ages, is not a hobby only for professional detectorists. That’s why there are various metal detectors for beginners, let’s find out the features to take consider to:
- First of all, you need to determine which location you are more likely to seek valuable objects with a new device.
- The top areas for treasure hunting are on the beach and underwater, but you can extend the fields to the park or stream. It has much fun if you try to explore different terrains.
- The next thing to consider carefully is your target objective. Even as a beginning, the first metal detector should be worth investment because it can save hours of digging up unnecessary items.
- Following this, you can focus on several key features like calibration, waterproof search coil, discrimination mode, pinpoint function, and sensitivity meter. Detection depth is also a key to choose the best tool to meet your demand.
- Hence, for entry-level detectorists, a metal detector equipped with the ease of use and primary function is a perfect choice.
Which Brands Make The Best Metal Detectors For Beginners?
National Geographic Toys
- National Geographic Society has been one of the world’s largest nonprofit scientific and educational organizations for more than one hundred years.
- National Geographic Toys, one of the company’s branches, offers education, research, and exploration products which focus on Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math for kids. Their mission is to create the highest quality science toys to inspire curiosity in young minds.
Fisher Research Labs
- Founded in 1931, Fisher Research Labs offers the most advanced technology to manufacture the most high-level products in the business.
- The company successfully launched a wide array of products that help consumers to identify underground utility, following as digital line tracers, leak detectors or leak correlators, magnetometers, metal detectors, and water-level indicators.
- Further, They put their focus on serving the needs of gas and water utilities with locally manufactured products, service facilities and technical service.
- Intey is an American company that has specialized in digital and electronics products of various categories for over ten years.
- Though, the company decided to enter the market only last year, quickly becoming a distributor of digital devices all over the world.
- With special attention to its customers, Intey offers the highest quality, durable, reliable, and affordable home accessories such as digital thermometers, metal detectors, and accessories dedicated to outdoor sports.
Is it worth buying a metal detector?
Yes, if you find treasure hunting is fun of discovery. A typical metal detector can help you locate and uncover valuable metal stuff in a short time.
How deep do most metal detectors go?
A standard metal detector can pinpoint six to ten inches below the ground for coin-sized objects, and up to 16 inches underground for large-sized targets in the right conditions.
How can you tell if a metal is underground?
Buzzer sounds “beep...beep”, or LCD light turns red or green to alert detectorists when it locates a metal. On the other hand, with some machines equipped with an audio tone, it sounds a tone if you reach close to a target or you can see the signals on the display panel.
Can a normal metal detector find gold?
A standard metal detector is not capable of detecting gold. You need to look for a deep seeking or two box metal detector.
There are various products, but only one meets your needs. With the best metal detectors for beginners on the list above, we hope you enjoy a fun and productive new hobby.