Our lawn experts have spent the two years testing nearly 20 of the best grass seed spreaders on the market to finally conclude in these 7 top picks. If you’re in search of the right model for your lawn and budget, look no further:
Here are the best grass seed spreaders you can buy in 2020:
- Best For Large Area: Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard DLX Broadcast Spreader
- Best For A Small Area: Brinly P20-500BHDF
- Best Overall: Scotts Whirl Hand-Powered Spreader
- Accurate: Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader
- Best For Hilly Terrain: Earthway 2750 Hand-Operated
- Durable: Agri-Fab 45-0288
- Best For Bumpy Terrain: Brinly BS36BH
|Top 7 Best Grass Seed Spreaders|
Best For Large Area
|Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard DLX Broadcast Spreader|
Best For A Small Area
|Scotts Whirl Hand-Powered Spreader|
|Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader|
Best For Hilly Terrain
|Earthway 2750 Hand-Operated|
Best For Bumpy Terrain
Push Seed Spreaders
Best For Large Area: Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard DLX Broadcast Spreader
- Deliver even, uniform coverage – Exclusive EdgeGuard Technology
- Ideal for large lawns - ultra-large hopper
- Easy to use – control panel’s precision rate settings
- The inside of the wheels catches whatever is spreading
The very first grass seed spreader that we really want to introduce to you, especially those who have a large lawn, is the Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard DLX.
This tool highlights an ultra-large hopper that is already pre-calibrated to readily use right out of the box. Moreover, it holds a 25-pound bag of granules, equivalent to 15,000 square feet of Scotts Lawn Care Products.
It means, with larger areas, this unit doesn’t require as many refilling times as other counterparts would do to hence help you finish the task earlier with less effort.
We particularly appreciate the uniform coverage of fertilizer of this machine, which avoids disease, weed, uneven coverage more efficiently.
There is also an Exclusive Scotts EdgeGuard Technology that you can use to stop granules from spreading onto non-lawn areas.
|Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard DLX Broadcast Spreader Specifications|
holds 5,000 sq. ft. of fertilizer
15,000 sq. ft.
Control panel's precision rate settings
Exclusive EdgeGuard Technology
We would recommend the Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard DLX to any homeowner who is finding the most effortless and time-saving way to seeding their large lawn.
Best For A Small Area: Brinly P20-500BHDF
- Flexible and maneuverable - simple calibration settings & easy-to-reach controls
- Long-lasting durability - stainless Steel hardware & fully enclosed rust-resistant gearbox
- Perfect for small areas – a 50-pound hopper
- A bit tricky to adjust the rod connecting the lever to the hopper
- Wish the agitator was bigger
The Brinly P20-500BHDF is a small yet mighty grass seed spreader that we’re confident to add to this roundup.
With a 50-pound hopper, it is specifically designed for small lawns.
But what truly makes it outstanding is the simple calibration settings, large 12" X 3" Pneumatic turf-tread tires, and easy-to-reach controls. These three features help enhance seed spreader’s flexibility and maneuverability.
Therefore, it’s easier to push and your seeding task is much more effortless.
The stainless steel hardware and fully enclosed rust-resistant gearbox are two other big bonuses of this unit. They keep the maintenance simpler while lasting longer.
Definitely a worth-trying model!
|Brinly P20-500BHDF Specifications|
8' to 12'
1000 square feet
simple calibration settings
Stainless Steel hardware
Fully enclosed rust-resistant gearbox
Made with a 50-pound hopper, easy-to-reach controls, and highly maneuverable construction, we think the Brinly P20-500BHDF is best for small areas.
Handheld Seed Spreaders
Best Overall: Scotts Whirl Hand-Powered Spreader
- Deliver more precise spreading & save more seeds
- Full of controls – good flow adjustment on how hefty to spread seeds
- Comfortable – adjustable arm support
- If only the hopper was bigger to reduce the number of refills
In the realm of handheld seed spreaders, we found the Scotts Whirl Hand-Powered Spreader is unbeatable at all sides.
It is well-built, highly maneuverable, and delivers uniform coverage when spreading seeds over an area of 800-1000 square feet. It allows you to be more precise where to spread and not waste granules, therefore, you’ll save tons of money.
There will not be any mess with hanging the wheeled spreader back up because when you’re done, just set it back on the shelf.
One big bonus for its good flow adjustment on how hefty to spread seeds. Besides, the handle crank mechanism is very smooth.
|Scotts Whirl Hand-Powered Spreader Specifications|
Holds up to 1,500 sq ft of Scotts lawn products
Up to 1,500 sq. ft.
Holds up to 1,500 sq ft of Scotts lawn products
Adjustable arm support;
For those times when you don’t want to have to drag out your wheeled seed spreader, the Scotts Whirl Hand-Powered Spreader is definitely the best alternative.
Accurate: Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader
- Superb accuracy – 23 settings
- Prevent feed from spreading on one side - 5-foot broadcast + EdgeGuard Technology
- Friendly for arthritis people – no cranking and no gripping required
- Short battery life
- Wish it was bigger
- The provided little instruction card is inconvenient to use
In terms of accuracy, the Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader is hard to beat.
It emphasizes 23 settings for good control of spraying field and quick applications for small areas. You can easily choose the right setting to work for all granule products.
The side guard is great. It prevents feed from spreading on one side and if you want to spread down a tight strip-like between the sidewalks and hedgerows, just use your other hand to block the other side.
This advanced design also helps arthritis people as it requires no cranking or gripping at all. What you need to do is letting it dangle from your hand and go for a brief walk around your lawn.
|Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader Specifications|
a full gallon size
2,500 sq ft of Scotts Lawn Products
5-foot broadcast + EdgeGuard Technology
The Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader is surely perfect whenever you don’t want to drag out a large spreader for lawn applications or small gardens. It works as accurately as a traditional model!
Best For Hilly Terrain: Earthway 2750 Hand-Operated
- Dependable – Made in the USA
- Simplify the seeding progress – high-speed direct-drive gearbox
- User-friendly – on/off control switch + flow-rate adjustment
- Sturdy and long-lasting – weather-resistant nylon material
- Installation is a bit tricky
- Wish there was a table of seed types to figure out pounds per acre
When looking for the best grass seed spreaders for hilly/wet terrains, we pay attention to its weather-resistant ability, especially the internal gears. We want it to be well protected against the impacts to last as long as possible.
Finally, we found out the Earthway 2750 Hand-Operated.
It is crafted from high-grade nylon materials known for phenomenal sturdiness and longevity. It’s also collapsible for easy storage.
In terms of seed spreading performance, what we like the most about it is the high-speed direct-drive gearbox. This feature significantly simplifies the whole process by giving a smooth, feathered edge broadcast.
Our testers also like its comfortable design to feel less fatigue when carrying it along.
|Earthway 2750 Hand-Operated Specifications|
25 lbs. of seed
8ft. to 12ft.
MADE IN AMERICA
High-speed direct-drive gearbox
Flow-rate adjustment and on-off control switch
Weather-resistant nylon construction
All-in-all, the Earthway 2750 Hand-Operated is our favorite choice for hilly terrains due to its decent sturdiness and weather resistance.
Tow-Behind Seed Spreaders
Durable: Agri-Fab 45-0288
- Durable, long-lasting, and heavy-duty - Premium galvanized steel agitator & Rustproof poly hopper
- Easy to use – simple design and clear instructions
- A bit complicated to install
Featuring pneumatic tires, a high-end galvanized steel agitator, and a rustproof poly hopper, Agri-Fab 45-0288 is undoubtedly the most durable seed spreader in our list.
We like its simple, straightforward construction as well as its wonderful fertilizer distribution which is much nicer than the broadcast spreader. The drop rate adjustment has a wide range.
Seem to be well-made for home use. The parts are all heavy steel and the unit is very solid when assembled.
For the price, this is a good value.
|Agri-Fab 45-0288 Specifications|
42" controlled spread width
Premium galvanized steel agitator
Rustproof poly hopper
If your biggest concern is about the durability when searching for a grass seed spreader, this is worth a try.
Best For Bumpy Terrain: Brinly BS36BH
- High-quality and reliable – made in the USA
- Absorb shock and impacts well – thick pneumatic tires
- Convenient – universal hook-up, auto flow technology, and hopper cover
- The rubber slide-on grip on the handle doesn't stay in place
- Wish the illustrations were more detailed
We’d like to give this final pick for people who need a grass seed spreader for bumpy areas. This is considered one of the most struggling terrains for seeding, which requires your tool to roll more smoothly for even granule distribution.
And, the reason why this Brinly BS36BH wins Our Editor’s Choice Award is its ultra-thick pneumatic tires.
Compared to other counterparts, it absorbs shock and impacts phenomenally well to deliver the most even seed distribution. The tool, moreover, features hundreds of pre-calibrated settings with a locking dial for more accurate and efficient adjustment.
Some other noteworthy add-ons are the patented auto flow technology, the hopper cover, and the universal hook-up.
|Brinly BS36BH Specifications|
175 lb and 3. 5 cu. Ft. (6, 048 cu. In. ) of seed
8' to 12'
Made in the USA
Thick pneumatic tires
The fantastic shock absorbance combining with the accurate calibration makes the Brinly BS36BH the best pick for bumpy terrains.
How To Choose The Best Grass Seed Spreaders?
First thing first, choose the right type of seed spreader. This feature is decided by three elements:
- Your desired degree of accuracy
- The number of obstacles in your lawn
- The lawn dimensions
There are three main types of seed spreaders to choose from, each of which come up with specific pros and cons.
- It features a wide range of spreader type settings to adjust. It’s usually easy to use, durable, and rustproof. What you need to do is choose the selection set, pull its trigger, and begin to walk at an adequate pace while turning the crank counter-clockwise.
- Best for: Small lawns or areas.
- Deliver even seed spreading
- Easy to use
- Hold nearly 300 square meters of seed
- Require more refills because of the small hopper
- Rather than spraying seeds, this type takes advantage of gravity force and situates them down in neat rows with superior precision. And, whenever passing across the lawn, you have to overlap the wheel paths because seeds only directly drop between the wheels.
- The distance between the two furthest holes on the hopper is its spread width.
- Best for: Dry granular fertilizers and Small yards/gardens/lawns
- Simple to maintain
- High precision
- Not be affected by winds
- Ease of use and control
- Time-taking because of less coverage
- If the wheel paths aren’t overlapped, it’s risky and dangerous
- This type is the most versatile and works by filling seeds onto a spinner or rotating wheel then, scattering them evenly over a large area in a fan-like pattern. That’s why it is also called rotary spreaders.
- The actual coverage can be up to 275-centimeter wide if the unit’s arc is around365 centimeters across at its furthest points.
- As the passes are various in back and forth motion, its distribution is much better that requires less effort to spread the seed two ways like other types.
- Best for: Large areas
- Time and effort saving
- Better seed distribution
- Easily affected by gusts
- Less precise in tight spots or around obstacles
- Grass seed spreaders are commonly made from either of these two common materials – plastic or stainless steel.
- The plastic is obviously less durable and sturdy than the steel, however, it’s more budget-friendly, which is ideal for occasional use or people in a tight budget. The steel, on the other hand, is heavier and more durable to last longer. But its price ranges are higher.
Which Brands Make The Best Grass Seed Spreaders?
- Brinly-Hardy is a big American corporation specializing in landscaping products and lawn care products, including grass seed spreaders. Founded in 1839, it’s been the longest-standing brand in this industry and undoubtedly becomes the leader.
- Earthway is far younger than Brinly-Hardy but we admire their attention towards customers and always listen to what they need to provide the most practical and helpful products.
- Earthway has been in the industry for 55 years and by keeping listening to their customers’ needs, they’re now getting a high position in the chart.
- Another American grass seed spreader manufacturer but this one is based in Illinois. It was established in 1975 and after 45 years of growth, Agri-Fab now has over 400 employees and 350,000 sq ft manufacturing facility.
What should I set the spreader for grass seed?2
Choose a setting of 4 if you use a handheld broadcast spreader to seeding or overseeding a new lawn.
Choose a setting of 5 ½ with a pushed broadcast spreader for overseeding.
Can you use a drop spreader for grass seed?
Yes, you can.
But a drop spreader won’t work as efficiently as a grass seed spreader because it doesn’t cover a full area at once when applying seed. If you intend to use a drop spreader for grass seed, make sure to use it properly.
Do I need a grass seed spreader?
If you wish to complete the task of spreading granular substance over an area more evenly, effectively, and efficiently, equipping yourself with a grass seed spreader is essential.
Can you just sprinkle grass seed on the lawn?
Yes, you can. It’s only slower, less even and efficient, and takes more effort than using a grass seed spreader.
Do you put fertilizer down before grass seed?
Yes, you do.
By feeding the soil with appropriate fertilizer before grass seed, your lawn will grow faster and healthier. Never apply the fertilizer and seed together.
Knowing what is the best grass seed spreader to purchase depends on your specific seeding needs and lawn size. This review is intended to highlight the advantages and disadvantages of the options available today. Hopefully, it is helpful to you.