A drop spreader is a type of fertilizer spreader that can either be pushed or pulled to evenly distribute small, spreadable material like fertilizer and seeds over large areas. It, therefore, is a necessary device for both home users and professionals to maintain their gardens and lawns.
However, there is a wide range of drop spreaders in size and build on that market that makes it suitable for their needs.
We’ve framed a list of the best drop spreaders for buyers to learn more about their functions associated with highlight features.
Here are the best drop spreaders you can buy in 2020:
- Durable: Agri-Fab 45-0288 175-Pound Max Tow Behind Drop Spreader
- Best For Small Areas: Agri-Fab 45-0543 100 lb. Tow Spiker/Seeder/Spreader
- Best For Thick Lawns: Brinly AS-40BH Tow Behind Combination Aerator Spreader
- Easy-To-Maneuver: Agri-Fab 45-0545 175 lb. Tow Spiker/Seeder/Drop Spreader; 42-inch working width
- Best For Medium-Sized Lawns: Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader
|Top 5 Best Drop Spreaders|
|Agri-Fab 45-0288 175-Pound Max Tow Behind Drop Spreader|
Best For Small Areas
|Agri-Fab 45-0543 100 lb. Tow Spiker/Seeder/Spreader|
Best For Thick Lawns
|Brinly AS-40BH Tow Behind Combination Aerator Spreader|
|Agri-Fab 45-0545 175 lb. Tow Spiker/Seeder/Drop Spreader; 42-inch working width|
Best For Medium-Sized Lawns
|Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader|
Tow-Behind Seed Spreaders
Durable: Agri-Fab 45-0288 175-Pound Max Tow Behind Drop Spreader
- Sturdy and well-built
- High capacity, 175 lbs
- Relatively difficult to assemble
- The holds keep getting clogged up
The Agri-fab products, though, refer to the top of durability and high capacity, Agri-Fab 45-0288 is not exceptional.
The machine is well-constructed with a galvanized steel agitator coupled with a rust-proof poly hopper as well as a spread plate. It helps to improve the long-range durability of the spreader.
The massive carrying capacity of 175 lbs is another feature that tends to be the right solution for those who possess large areas as well as commercial properties when it covers up for roughly one acre.
Further, two wide 15-inch pneumatic tires enable it to make for a solid drive on any terrain behind a tractor. Such a unit has a universal hitch, so the connection to a tractor is smooth. Users also use an on/off control to adjust spreading patterns from the front seat of the tractor.
Despite the ease of use, this model is not pre-calibrated. And it’s not as easy to assemble in 30 minutes as advertised.
|Agri-Fab 45-0288 175-Pound Max Tow Behind Drop Spreader Specifications|
1 acre (40,000 sq. ft.)
Galvanized steel agitator
Three year limited consumer warranty
Agri-Fab 45-0288 is a perfect model for people who want a reliable model with sturdy construction.
Best For Small Areas: Agri-Fab 45-0543 100 lb. Tow Spiker/Seeder/Spreader
- Decent capacity
- Smooth movement
- Built by promising material
- Aerating capable
- The model requires assembling
- Not capable of aerating wet grass
With a modest size and decent capacity of 100 pounds, Agri-Fab 45-0543 makes a bright choice with spike disks in both aerating and spreading functions.
Spike disks made of galvanized steel are star-shaped. It aims to aerate the soil and then release material into these holes with 32-inch spread width.
Two 10-inch flat wheels are maneuverable for easy moving over the land. The rust-proof hopper is another good material to increase its durability.
There is no doubt that this unit is a perfect option for small-sized areas despite the downside of assembling requirements.
|Agri-Fab 45-0543 100 lb. Tow Spiker/Seeder/Spreader Specifications|
⅓ acre (17,500 sq. ft.)
Galvanized steel agitator
Three-year limited consumer warranty
Agri-Fab 45-0543 is a helpful tool for lawn maintenance in small-scope areas.
Best For Thick Lawns: Brinly AS-40BH Tow Behind Combination Aerator Spreader
- Huge hopper capacity, 120 lbs
- Aerating capable, 2 in 1
- Large spread width, 40 inches
- Its steel is not stainless.
Designed with a two-in-one model, Brinly AS-40BH serves as a drop spreader and an aerator. It is a good option for those who prefer to aerate their lawn as well.
Like the Agri-Fab model for small areas, such a tow-behind device features 8-inch galvanized tine spikes that allow it to spread on thick lawns.
With a super-wide opening of 40 inches to drop material, the heavy-duty steel hopper can carry up to 120 lbs. It also comes pre-calibrated and has various settings to adjust the flow control from the spreader in precision.
These qualities enable lawn users to spend less time refilling and get the job more efficient. Even though the model is not entirely corrosion-resistant and a not-affordable price, it is still a good option.
|Brinly AS-40BH Tow Behind Combination Aerator Spreader Specifications|
Unique 2-in-1 design
Heavy-duty steel Hopper
8-inch galvanized tine spikes
Brinly AS-40BH with sturdy spike plates can perform your jobs on thick lawns done effectively.
Easy-To-Maneuver: Agri-Fab 45-0545 175 lb. Tow Spiker/Seeder/Drop Spreader; 42-inch working width
- Smooth movement
- High capacity
- 2-in-1 design
- Not enough weight to aerate without filling a hopper with material
Like the Agri-Fab high-capacity models, Agri-Fab 45-0545 is also a superior drop spreader with a maximum wide opening of 42 inches. It works at the best with the same as the Agri-Fab 45-0288, just differentiated at the combination of aerating and drop-spreading.
Mainly the 10-inch galvanized steel spikes help aerate the soil in 2-inch depth for better fertilizer. Therefore, it is good to say that Agri-Fab 45-0288 is also a skillful aerate spreader.
Moreover, the connection to a tractor through a universal hitch associated with the variable spread control adjusted from a seat in the tractor makes the unit more accessible to use.
Constructed by rust-proof galvanized steel, the model is immune to corrosion and rust. The 10-inch flat wheel helps the tool traverse any surfaces.
Even though the price is immense, such a spreader deserves to be one of the most high-end tow-behind options.
|Agri-Fab 45-0545 175 lb. Tow Spiker/Seeder/Drop Spreader; 42" working width Specifications|
1 acre (40,000 sq. ft.)
10-inch galvanized steel spike disks
Rust-proof poly hopper
Agri-Fab 45-0545 is the best choice for those who prefer maneuverability and extra-large capacity.
Push Seed Spreaders
Best For Medium-Sized Lawns: Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader
- Easy to push
- Not consistent in term of covering
- Require set according to the calibration
The Scotts models focus on the accessibility as well as the ease of use, and Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader is counted in these.
The unit is well-fitted for medium-sized properties with decent capacity and 10,000 square feet coverage. A heavy-duty frame, which is well-built, makes the device stable and durable.
The precise application and variable control are other benefits of this option. It can provide an even distribution of material like seeds or sands.
On top of that, the spreader comes with a fully assembled and pre-calibrated. Therefore, lawn users don’t have the hassle from the poor instruction or losing some items any longer.
|Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader Specifications|
10,000 sq. ft.
Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader is proven to be a perfect push seed spreader for medium-sized lawns.
How To Choose The Best Drop Spreaders?
A drop spreader comes packed with a feature that most seedsmen have been looking for: precise application. Nevertheless, it is not the only reason for them to take up. Several factors which assist purchasers in going for the right choice are listed:
- In general, a broadcast spreader is suitable for large-scale spaces, while a drop spreader is an ideal option for medium or small areas. It depends on its hopper capacity and coverage level. When you go ahead with a drop spread because your land is less than 40,000 square feet, you have to consider whether you need a tow-behind option or a push spreader is better. Therefore, take up a pull spreader if your property is medium-size and, conversely, get benefit from a push model if you have a small lawn.
- One more suggestion is that you need to check the capacity of a spreader before a purchase. Small capacity is compatible with a small garden, and the large is better for a medium property. By scanning several reviews, you take consideration of the number of the capacity to pick the best one.
- To be able to work in all conditions of the weather, a drop spreader must be rust-proof. Most hoppers are usually made from poly or powder-coated or galvanized steel that can prevent rust or corrosion for an extended period.
- A high-end device costs you more than the others at first, but it deserves to invest. And you will never be disappointed about the spreader that is corrosive after a season in the future.
- Aerating a lawn helps fertilizers be deeply embedded in the soil and make it suitable for dropping material on the ground. Therefore, you can search for a spreader with aerator attachments, or galvanized spikes.
- Some models come with control patterns; some don’t. It is better if you can adjust the flow rate of a spreader at variable rates. Then, you can control the direction and quantity of dropping material.
- Wide flat tires help a drop spreader work on any surface. It enables smooth ride and movement instead of getting stuck on rough terrain. Just look for pneumatic or heave-duty tires when you search for one.
Which Brands Make The Best Drop Spreaders?
- In 1975, Agri-Fab started up in a small town located in the middle of American. Agri-Fab has been a leading brand name of lawn products and garden attachments in the USA for years.
- Nobody knows that in the beginning days, the company targeted building a better lawn sweeper. To launch the high-quality lawn products with durability, they continuously innovate technology to apply in products to provide the best appliances for lawn owners.
- Founded in 1839, Brinly had a firm position in the industry of home alliances and agricultural power. They launched their broadcast spreaders, rollers, lawn vac systems, aerators, etc. Until now, their business has been developing with high-rate quality.
- In a range of lawn care equipment, Brinly spreaders are upgraded with the features like rust-proof material and stainless steel interior hardware, and accessible calibration settings. It allows customers to maintain their lawns with effortlessness and efficiency.
- Founded more than 150 years ago, from a family store, Scotts has become a North-America leader in lawn and garden. It comes with the vision of delivering products and solutions that help homeowners create and maintain the gardens they want. They confirm to be always seeking ideas to make their product even better and innovating to meet customers’ needs.
How do I maintain my drop spreader?
If your drop spreader doesn’t require reassembly after use, you can lay the device on its side. Rinse off the hoppers, wheels and moving parts by a water hose. Then leave it to drain for a while before storing or use a light lubricant spray to dry it.
If your model requires reassembly after use, you can clean off each part with water and let it dry completely.
You can follow the manufacturers’ guidelines for lubricating, cleaning, and storing your device if necessary.
You can oil the moving parts and store them a dry place.
Which is better, drop spreader or broadcast spreader?
There is no answer, as each one has strengths and things-to-improve. And it depends on your needs as well.
Drop spreaders are compatible with medium-sized gardens under 1 acre because it provides precise and controlled coverage.
Meanwhile, a broadcast spreader is more fitted if you have a substantial working area, more than 1 acre. It can spread material rotated to all directions with a massive hopper capacity.
How do you use a drop spreader?
Prepare material fit with the size of the area. (per 100 square feet)
Place the spreader on a path or driveway.
Mark the area and adjust the flow rate for those spreaders which require pre-calibration.
Pour material into the hopper to dispense it to the lawn.
Walk at a steady pace when handling a spreader.
Turn off the spreader opening when you get shifts or stop.
Handle a garden hose to wash the spreader after each use.
Leave it to drain then apply light machine oil to metal parts in the wheels and spreader mechanism.
Can you spread topsoil with a spreader?
Absolutely. It can work well with a drop spreader because of its high accuracy.
Can I use a drop spreader for grass seed?
A drop spreader is perfect for grass seed distribution due to its precise application.
These are all about the best drop spreaders. After diving straight into the article, we hope it will help you choose the best appliance for your lawn.