Top Poisonous Plants For Dogs

By Harry RamosLast update: 2024-06-11

Dogs tend to eat anything they see because they can’t distinguish between safe and poisonous foods. Thus, this task belongs to you.

Sago Palm

Top Poisonous Plants For Dogs

Sago palm lives well both indoors and outdoors. This is good news for sago palm fans, but it is bad news for dog owners. It’s harder for you to protect your pets when sago palm develops well everywhere. In particular, this type of plant is popular in areas with warm climates.

The whole plant is toxic to dogs (from leaves to bark), especially since the seeds and nuts contain many toxins. The worse news is that your dogs feel delicious.

Its severe side effects are liver failure, even death.

American Holly

Top Poisonous Plants For Dogs

Although this plant is popular, it’s low in toxicity. If your dog catches American holly poisoning, he will have the following symptoms: vomiting and diarrhea.


Top Poisonous Plants For Dogs
This type of flower blooms in spring, so you need to be careful when walking your dog on these beautiful days with nice weather.

Once your dog eats a daffodil, he will have one or some of the following symptoms: tremors, salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, low blood pressure, and cardiac arrhythmia.


Top Poisonous Plants For Dogs

This plant is also common in North America and toxic to your dogs. If he eats any part of the milkweed, he might get these symptoms: usual vomiting, diarrhea, hard-to-breath, fast and weak pulse, dilated pupils, kidney or liver failure, and death.

Castor Beans

Top Poisonous Plants For Dogs

Though this plant isn’t common in gardens, it’s easy to find them in parks or big-scale outdoor landscaping.

Castor beans can cause your dogs these symptoms: loss of appetite, thirst, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, tremors, twitching, seizures, coma, even death (in severe cases).

Azalea/ Rhododendron

Top Poisonous Plants For Dogs

While some bloom in spring, you can see other azaleas in summer. Thus, be careful when walking your dog at this time during the year. Besides, you also should pay attention to areas where this kind of flower develops the most, like back and front yards.

Any part of azalea contains grayanotoxin. So, eating a small amount is enough to cause severe gastrointestinal issues. Besides, your dog can have other symptoms, such as discoordination, weakness, weak heart rate, even death. The seriousness level depends on how much azalea your dog eats.


Top Poisonous Plants For Dogs

If your dog eats the lance-shaped leaves, it’s straightforward for him to get a usual gastrointestinal problem, central nervous system depression, convulsions, and death.

Unluckily, this dangerous flower to dogs is grown both indoor and outdoor. Never let your dog eat the newly planted bulbs, which contain the most toxins.


Top Poisonous Plants For Dogs

Oleander is common, especially on the West Coast. The worst information is that all parts of this flower in both dried and fresh conditions are poisonous.

This poison can cause heart rate and heart rhythm changes and other usual symptoms, such as drooling, stomach pain, diarrhea, and death.

Lily Of The Valley

A tiny amount of this flower is enough to cause heart problems for dogs, like heart rate and rhythm change.

Other symptoms include vomiting, disorientation, low blood pressure, seizures, and coma.


Top Poisonous Plants For Dogs

This is another popular plant featuring leaves and long vines.

Its insoluble calcium oxalate crystals can irritate the mouth and lips of your dog. Meanwhile, consuming a few leaves, your dog will paw at his mouth, drooling and retching.

Dieffenbachia (Dumb Cane)

Top Poisonous Plants For Dogs

This common indoor plant features lush green leaves with white spots or stripes on the left surface.

When eating this plant, your dog will feel that his mouth, tongue, and lip seem burning due to the calcium oxalate crystals.

Here are some common symptoms, such as drooling, vomiting, and hard-to-breath.

Japanese Yews (buddhist Pine Or Southern Yew)

This plant is popular in the United States. Excepting berries, eating its leaves, seeds, and bark can cause the following symptoms: a wobbly gait, vomiting, lethargy, serious heart, and blood pressure changes, threatening your dog’s life. Warming signs include seizures and muscle tremors.


You shouldn’t walk with your dog in winter (actually, not many people tend to walk with their dogs on these cold days). My advice comes from the fact that cyclamen is popular in winter.

Protect your dog from all parts of this flower unless you want your dog to get the following symptoms: drooling, vomiting, having diarrhea, and bad effects on the heart rate and rhythms, even death.

When walking the dog, you must keep him from these poisonous plants. Moreover, don’t grow them in your garden and yard, especially never to put them indoors.

Related Articles