A sprinkler used for small lawns is not the same as those used for large lawns. For example, there are many types of sprinklers but not all of them can handle a large area. So, how do you figure out the best sprinklers for large areas? The following guide will make that clear as day.
Here are the best sprinklers for large areas you can buy in 2023:
- Best For Raised Bed Garden (Impact Sprinklers): Orbit 58308Z
- Best For Newly Sodded Lawn (Impact Sprinklers): Rain Bird 35ADJTNTB
- Best For Smooth, Even Flow (Oscillating Sprinklers): Melnor XT Metal Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler
- Best For Front Yard (Oscillating Sprinklers): Aqua Joe SJI-OMS16
- Most Durable (Others): GrowGreen Sprinkler 3,600 square feet
- Best For Flat Lawn (Others): Nelson Traveling Sprinkler RainTrain
|6 Best Sprinklers For Large Areas|
Best For Raised Bed Garden
Best For Newly Sodded Lawn
|Rain Bird 35ADJTNTB|
Best For Smooth, Even Flow
|Melnor XT Metal Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler|
Best For Front Yard
|Aqua Joe SJI-OMS16|
|GrowGreen Sprinkler 3,600 square feet|
Best For Flat Lawn
|Nelson Traveling Sprinkler RainTrain|
Best For Raised Bed Garden (Impact Sprinklers): Orbit 58308Z
- Provide even, consistent coverage – spray coverage of 90’, adjustable from 25 to 360 degrees & solid brass impact head
- Ideal for raised bed garden – adjustable metal tripod legs
- Easy to use - leg support pads & easy flip adjustment clips
- The hose attachment site is not particularly stable
Ease of use, adjustability, and reliable performance is the hallmark of Orbit 58308Z.
Watering an area of up to 90’ in diameter, and adjustable from 25 to 360 degrees, the solid brass impact head provides even, consistent coverage for years of reliable performance.
The metal tripod legs provide independent, infinite adjustments between 22.5 and 48 inches, allowing for use on uneven ground or rough terrain. It’s also a perfect choice for raised bed gardens.
Orbit tripod includes many features not found on most competitive products.
The leg support pads are securely anchored and weighted to keep out debris and provide a sturdy base. The easy flip adjustment clips are ergonomically designed for fast, one-handed adjustments, and are reinforced with ribbing to prevent breakage.
|Orbit 58308Z Specifications|
15 x 9 x 8 inches
6,360 square feet
spray coverage of 90’, adjustable from 25 to 360 degrees
solid brass impact head
adjustable metal tripod legs
leg support pads & easy flip adjustment clips
Orbit 58308Z’s quality and innovation offer a competitive advantage over similar products available one the market, making it the best option for raised bed gardens.
Best For Newly Sodded Lawn (Impact Sprinklers): Rain Bird 35ADJTNTB
- Easy to use and set up - 3/4
- Not rotate if the water pressure isn’t high enough
After tested lots of impact sprinklers, we have found this to be superior in build and function, making it the best candidate for newly sodded lawns.
It is very easy to install and modify, including a ¾” pipe thread connection for simpler assembly to risers, high-gallonage output, and grit proof bearing. It prevents side splash onto walkways or buildings efficiently thanks to the PJTM spray arm.
You can adjust the spray distance from 23 to 50 inches in diameter.
The biggest benefit when using this sprinkler is it allows for a 25% radius reduction and can break water into smaller droplets for uniform watering.
|Rain Bird 35ADJTNTB Specifications|
2 x 7.5 x 9 inches
23' - 50'
3/4" male pipe thread connection
2 adjustable water direction settings
Adjustable deflector flap
made of stainless steel, bronze, and brass
We’d recommend the Rain Bird 35ADJTNTB for anyone with a newly sodded lawn.
Best For Smooth, Even Flow (Oscillating Sprinklers): Melnor XT Metal Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler
- Easy to connect to a hose – adjustable knobs on the metal connection
- Offer maximum coverage, smooth and even flow, and stabilize the sprinkler - large-volume tube
- Easy to adjust the water stream – the optional flow control and length control
- The sweep control is plastic
- The brass fitting for tightening it onto the hose is too short
What we like about this oscillating sprinkler is the metal connector and its little knobs on the outside that makes the product really easy to connect it to a hose. This innovative design is perfect for people who have got arthritis in their thumbs or some grip strength issues.
These knobs also spin to not start twisting once you hook them up to the hose and move the sprinkler.
Talking about the biggest selling point of this sprinkler, it is the large-volume tube. It gives you two big benefits: giving maximum coverage with a smooth, even flow, and stabilizing the sprinkler itself.
Some other bonuses are the optional flow control and length control.
The flow control is used for changing from low to high flow, which saves you from getting wet when making adjustments. Meanwhile, length control is set to narrow or widen water streams. The good things about it are pretty intuitive and easy to use.
|Melnor XT Metal Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler Specifications|
6.25 x 18.18 x 2.79 inches
from 10 feet to up to 75 feet
4000 sq. ft.
adjustable knobs on the metal connection
a large-volume tube
the optional flow control and length control
If you’re in the market for a high-quality oscillating sprinkler offering smooth, even flow, don’t hesitate to try this.
Best For Front Yard (Oscillating Sprinklers): Aqua Joe SJI-OMS16
- Durable, stable, and reliable - extra-large indestructible solid-metal base and sealed, turbo gear-driven unit
- Prevent clogging efficiently – the 16 clog-resistant nozzles + include a convenient built-in clean-out tool
- Dependable – backed by a 2-year warranty
- The base is a little too narrow
Water your front yard with unparalleled precision using the Aqua Joe SJI-OMS16.
It is specifically designed for superior durability, stability, and dependable performance, thanks to the extra-large indestructible solid-metal base and sealed turbo gear-driven unit.
The 16 clog-resistant nozzles are easy to control range and width, making it able to cover up to 3600 square feet of space.
And every awkward sprinkler comes with a complete 2-year warranty.
|Aqua Joe SJI-OMS16 Specifications|
15.86 x 5.24 x 2.44 inches
3600 Square Feet
extra-large indestructible solid-metal base and sealed, turbo gear-driven unit
the 16 clog-resistant nozzles + include a convenient built-in clean-out tool
backed by a 2-year warranty
Check out the Aqua Joe SJI-OMS16 if you’re in need of the best oscillating sprinkler for your front yard.
Most Durable (Others): GrowGreen Sprinkler 3,600 square feet
- Durable and long-lasting - rust-proof polymer and high-grade ABS plastic
- Stay firm during the use – weighted base
- Customize your watering - adjustable 360-degree nozzles
- Water-saving - water conservation technology
- Come with no instructions
- Feel a bit where it attaches to a water hose
If durability is your top priority when seeking a sprinkler for your large area, this is a great option.
As being built from rust-proof polymer and high-grade ABS plastic, it stays durable and lasts really long compared to other counterparts at the same price point. A big bonus is it doesn’t move around while spraying water.
It is also quick to install and easy to use. The adjustable 360-degree nozzles allow you to customize your watering and besides, it offers maximum even water sprinkling at 80psi water pressure.
By highlighting water conservation technology, it also helps you save lots of water during the use.
|GrowGreen Sprinkler 3,600 square feet Specifications|
9.9 x 8.1 x 4 inches
3600 sq ft
rust-proof polymer and high-grade ABS plastic
a weighted base
adjustable 360-degree nozzles
water conservation technology
The GrowGreen Sprinkler 3,600 square feet is our pick for the most durable option in this review list.
Best For Flat Lawn (Others): Nelson Traveling Sprinkler RainTrain
- Controllable and easy to use - three-speed settings, adjustable spray arms, and coverage of 13500 square feet
- Durable - chip-resistant cast iron body with powder-coated paint
- Automatically shut off
- Sometimes, it can lose its track from the hose
If your lawn is pretty much flat with no slopes, we highly recommend the Nelson Traveling Sprinkler RainTrain.
It can travel up to 200 feet, cover a max space of 13500 square feet with three-speed settings – neutral self-propelled, slow, and fast. It also features adjustable spray arms for a coverage range of 15’-55’ in radius.
Our testers particularly love its impact-resistant body. It is made of chip-resistant cast iron with powder-coated paint.
A cool additional function is it can automatically shut off after running a certain amount of time you’ve set it beforehand. Very practical!
|Nelson Traveling Sprinkler RainTrain Specifications|
20.13 x 9.38 x 8.13 inches
40 & 50 PSI
from 15 feet to 55 feet
13,500 square feet
three-speed settings, adjustable spray arms, and coverage of 13500 square feet
chip-resistant cast iron body with powder-coated paint
Automatically shut off
Looking for the best sprinkler for flat lawns? This is it!
How To Choose The Best Sprinkler For Large Areas?
The market is currently flooded with countless models of sprinklers, but these are the right types for a large area.
- In-ground: this kind of system features various sprinkler heads, all of which water areas differently. This is one of the best options for large areas.
- Pop-up: when turned on, the sprinkler heads rise above the grass and spray water to the ground. When turned off, they hide underground.
- Rotary: this type of sprinkler is often used in a golf course, a park, or other extra-large lawns. Its rotating heads spray water in a powerful, long stream that can reach very far.
- Gear-driven: these sprinklers are made for medium to large lawns. They are quieter and offer adjustable patterns.
- Multiple-stream: this type can handle a large area with hills. It releases thin water streams from different holes on its head and usually rotates.
- Rotor: these are suitable for a large lawn that needs big droplets. You can also adjust the spray distance.
- Impact: this type can cover a big yard but can be loud.
- Oscillating: its head features several holes and oscillates back and forth, allowing it to cover large lawns.
- Traveling: due to the traveling characteristic, this type of sprinkler can handle a large area quite easily.
When it comes to a large area, it’s important to make sure the chosen sprinkler has the right coverage. It’s best to go with a sprinkler that can reach as far as 1000 or 2000 feet.
Which Brands Make The Best Sprinkler For Large Areas?
Since its foundation in the 70s, this brand has been leading the market of outdoor watering products with customers around the world. Its sprinklers are easy to use, innovative, and reliable.
Over that past 90 years, this brand has focused on delivering high-value products for users. If you want the best sprinklers on the market, it’s a good choice.
Founded more than 70 years ago, this brand has been trusted by global consumers for high-quality products, including its historic oscillating sprinkler.
This brand’s sprinklers make it much easier to water your large lawns. It offers a wide selection of products so you can surely find what you need.
This bran offers various types of sprinklers to handle whatever kind of lawn you have. It has earned a reputation for addressing consumers’ needs since 1911.
How deep should a sprinkler head be?
The suitable depth is around 6 to 8 inches.
How do I keep my sprinkler heads from sinking?
You just need to lift the head and straighten it by packing soil around until it’s level with the ground.
How high should pop up sprinklers be?
The ideal height for pop-up sprinklers is from 6 to 12 inches.
How many sprinkler heads can I put on one zone?
This depends on the gallons per minute (GPM) and pounds per square inch (PSI) pressure. The higher the GPM and PSI value, the fewer sprinkler heads you need in one zone.
How deep do you bury sprinkler heads?
Generally, you should bury sprinkler heads 8-12 inches deep underground.
Hopefully, this post has helped you understand what characteristics make the best sprinklers for large areas. If you need further information or guides on other products, don’t hesitate to come back here, we are always happy to help.