One simple purchase can make a huge difference in the amount of time and effort you’ll spend on this task – probably ½ of a day or just ½ of an hour.
And we bet nobody wants to waste their time and energy, so equipping yourself the most powerful hedge trimmer is a good investment, at least if compared to shears or other garden tools. From that point, let’s dive right in this review list!
Here are the most powerful hedge trimmers you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall (Gas Hedge Trimmers): Poulan Pro PR2322
- Quiet (Gas Hedge Trimmers): Husqvarna 966532302 122HD45
- Best Overall (Electric Hedge Trimmers): BLACK+DECKER BEHT350FF
- Best Pole Hedge Trimmer (Electric Hedge Trimmers): Sun Joe SJH904E
- Best For Bushes And Shrubs (Electric Hedge Trimmers): Greenworks 2200102
- Best Overall (Cordless Hedge Trimmer): DEWALT DCHT820P1 Hedge Trimmer
- Best For Thick Branches (Cordless Hedge Trimmer): EGO Power+ HT2400
- Best For Consistent Performance (Cordless Hedge Trimmer): Snapper XD 82V
|8 Most Powerful Hedge Trimmers|
|Poulan Pro PR2322|
|Husqvarna 966532302 122HD45|
Best Pole Hedge Trimmer
|Sun Joe SJH904E|
Best For Bushes And Shrubs
|DEWALT DCHT820P1 Hedge Trimmer|
Best For Thick Branches
|EGO Power+ HT2400|
Best For Consistent Performance
|Snapper XD 82V|
Best Overall (Gas Hedge Trimmers): Poulan Pro PR2322
- Powerful yet easy to use - a 23cc two-cycle full crank engine
- Durable - rust-resistant stainless steel blades
- Large cutting capacity – able to cut 20” swaths through bushes or neatly trim them
- Offer superior comfort, reduced fatigue, and maximum cutting control - rotating handle with grips and advanced anti-vibration
- The prime bulb is horribly positioned
This machine is powerful yet easy to use since it’s equipped with a 23cc two-cycle full crank engine for maximum cutting performance to get the job done in a matter of minutes.
The durable action rust-resistant stainless steel blades cut up to 22” wide and limb up to 1” in diameter.
Besides, it offers a huge cutting capacity. The machine cuts up to 20” swaths through bushes or neatly trim them.
We find this option to be a perfect choice for all sorts of shrubs and hedges around your yard which are starting to look more like that overgrown jungle.
One big bonus is its rotating handle with grips and advanced anti-vibration, offering superior comfort, reduced fatigue, and maximum cutting control.
|Poulan Pro PR2322 Specifications|
A 23cc two-cycle full crank engine
With an affordable price, the Poulan Pro PR2322 is the best overall machine in this review.
Quiet (Gas Hedge Trimmers): Husqvarna 966532302 122HD45
- Easy to use - smart start engine & air purge
- Allow for trimming hedges in either direction - a dual blade hedge trimmer
- Do more cutting with each pass - a cutting speed of 4050 cuts per minute
- Reduce noise pollution effectively – Low noise engine design
- Require feathering the throttle to get the blades moving to full speed before any cutting jobs
- Not easy to re-install after disassembling it for cleanup
The second option in this category is Husqvarna 966532302 122HD45.
This one is low noise, and a lightweight hedge trimmer with easy-to-use functions. Its starter and smart start engine are designed to start fast with the least effort.
Air purge removes air from the fuel system and carburetor to help you with that easy starting.
It features 18” long blades that slice through branches, twigs, and shrubs up to 0.8” in diameter. It also has a dual blade hedge trimmer which is good to trim your hedges in either direction, allowing you to work more efficiently.
Combining with a cutting speed of 4050 cuts per minute, you can do more cutting with each pass for a quicker job. One last bonus is for its auto-return stop switch which automatically resets to the on position for easier starting.
|Husqvarna 966532302 122HD45 Specifications|
Smart start engine & air purge
Trimming hedges has been made much more comfortable with reduced noise pollution with the Husqvarna 966532302 122HD45.
Best Overall (Electric Hedge Trimmers): BLACK+DECKER BEHT350FF
- Easy to maneuver – lightweight, only 6.49 pounds
- Exceptional vibration absorption capabilities & great control - a 22” dual-action hardened steel blade & full wrap-around front handle
- Avoid unplugging issues - cord retention design
- Quite noisy
We found ourselves felt immediately for this corded hedge trimmer in the very first try. It’s so lightweight and comfortable to use yet exceptionally powerful.
In today’s list, it’s also the lightest, weighing only 6.49 pounds. Combined with a 22” dual-action hardened steel blade, it enhances vibration absorption capabilities to the extreme, leaving hardly fatigue or stress on the arms while trimming.
Besides, it features a full wrap-around front handle to easily control with extra comfortable feeling.
We also believe that you’ll like the cord retention design of this hedge trimmer as it efficiently avoids unplugging issues.
|BLACK+DECKER BEHT350FF Specifications|
Weigh 6.49 pounds
We really like the BLACK+DECKER BEHT350FF because of not only its powerful performance or the comfort feel during the use but also the thoughtful cord design. Above all, the price is incredible for tight-budget people.
Best Pole Hedge Trimmer (Electric Hedge Trimmers): Sun Joe SJH904E
- Safe and dependable - ETL-approved & backed by a full 2-year warranty
- Reduce fatigue & offer extra precise trimming - 19-inch dual-action steel blades & comfortable grips handle
- Flexible – able to switch from a corded pole hedge trimmer to a handheld one
- Help you overhead reach with convenience – adjustable telescoping pole
- A bit expensive
- Quite heavy
- The enclosed support strap could be better
The Sun Joe SJH904E is our second proud option suggested to those people who want to shape up a tall hedge while standing safely on solid ground.
This is also one of the rare corded pole hedge trimmers here that are ETL-approved, meaning that it’s ensured for quality, safety, and performance. The product, on the other hand, is backed by a full manufacturer 2-year warranty.
Sun Joe SJH904E is quite powerful yet comfortable to use.
It reduces up to 40% vibration, which also allows for a more precise trimming experience.
The 19-inch dual-action steel blades offer efficient cuts in either direction and if you want to swap it from a corded pole hedge trimmer to a handheld one, just detach the handle and cutting head.
Another interesting thing about this product is its adjustable telescoping pole which can be extended from 3.8’ to 5.9’. As a result, it allows you to reach any overhead shrubs with ease and extra safety.
|Sun Joe SJH904E Specifications|
ETL-approved & backed by a full 2-year warranty
Designed with an extendable telescoping pole for safe overhead reaching, the Sun Joe SJH904E is a safe choice for people who have tall hedges needed trimming.
Best For Bushes And Shrubs (Electric Hedge Trimmers): Greenworks 2200102
- Easily and comfortably trims at multiple angles - wraparound main handle & 180-degree rotating rear over-mold handle
- Ensure the extension cable to not get loose while cutting - power cord retainer
- Perfect for trimming shrubs and brushes - a 9/16” cutting capacity
- A bit loud while working
- No sorts of plastic/nylon slide on blade protector to slide on during storage
- The cord retainer could be better
At the push of a button, the powerful 4-amp motor enables you to get any job done efficiently at 3200 strokes per minute.
It easily and comfortably trims at multiple angles with the innovative 180-degree rotating rear over-mold handle and wraparound main handle.
The power cord retainer ensures your extension cable doesn’t come loose in the middle of the job. And with a 9/16” cutting capacity, the dual-action steel blades easily cut through bushes and shrubs while delivering a precise cut.
|Greenworks 2200102 Specifications|
Wraparound main handle & 180-degree rotating rear over-mold handle
The Greenworks 2200102 is our Top Pick for bushes and shrubs this year 2020 for many good reasons.
Best Overall (Cordless Hedge Trimmer): DEWALT DCHT820P1 Hedge Trimmer
- Reliable – offer a 90-day money-back guarantee, a 3-year limited warranty and 1-year of free service
- Deliver fast and powerful cuts - a ¾” cutting capacity & 22” dual-action blades
- Become fatigued if you do lots of overhead work
The DCHT820P1 is one of the products included in DEWALT’s 20V MAX system of tools.
This compact hedge trimmer is quite surprising because of the heavy-duty performance despite its lightness. The manufacturer is so confident at its toughness that they offer a 90-day money-back guarantee aside from a 3-year limited warranty and 1-year of free service.
It is specifically designed for fast cutting and can quickly go through a ¾” in diameter branch with its 22” dual-action blades.
|DEWALT DCHT820P1 Hedge Trimmer Specifications|
Offer a 90-day money-back guarantee, a 3-year limited warranty and 1-year of free service
If you’re looking for the best overall cordless hedge trimmer, we suggest the DEWALT DCHT820P1.
Best For Thick Branches (Cordless Hedge Trimmer): EGO Power+ HT2400
- Have your hedge trimming jobs done in a shorter time - 24” dual-action hardened steel reciprocating blades
- Able to work longer without strain - high-efficiency brushless motor
- Handle tough tasks, like thick branches - 3000 strokes per minute
- Allow for constant working - industry-leading arc lithium battery technology compatible with all EGO power plus products
- The battery clips on the back of the unit could be more quality
Next up is a cordless hedge trimmer with a 1” cut capacity – the EGO Power+ HT2400, which persuasively wins our Best Buy for Thick Branches award.
It allows you to make short work of every shrub bush and tree with the 24” dual-action hardened steel reciprocating blades.
It’s also equipped with fully serviceable blades for DIY sharpening and works longer without strain thanks to the high-efficiency brushless motor. But what truly impressed us the most was it delivered 3000 strokes per minute to get tough jobs done faster and more efficiently.
Powered by industry-leading arc lithium battery technology which is compatible with all EGO power plus products, you never have to stop what you’re doing.
|EGO Power+ HT2400 Specifications|
24” dual-action hardened steel reciprocating blades
Designed with exceptional power, the EGO Power+ HT2400 goes through thick branches like butter, allowing you to work freely around the yard forgetting about the mass of extension cords.
Best For Consistent Performance (Cordless Hedge Trimmer): Snapper XD 82V
- Allow for consistent operation – interchangeable batteries
- Safe & good bump protection - blade reverse button controls & built-in cast metal tip
- Easy to trim at any angle - a 180-degree rotating handle
- Battery and rapid charging station isn’t included
This powerful cordless hedge trimmer will help you achieve an exciting new level of durability and performance by combining 82V lithium-ion batteries with high-efficiency brushless motors.
It has attained runtime that allows you to finish serious out to a project on a single charge.
The 2- or 4-amp high-performance batteries are interchangeable and quickly recharged in only 30 or 60 minutes with the rapid charging station. This allows you to power all Snapper XT tools with just one battery.
Regardless, it has admiring powerful performance with no compromise of safety. The blade reverse button controls and built-in cast metal tip for bump protection are two clearest proofs.
Besides, it has a 180-degree rotating handle to help you trim your hedge at any angle required.
|Snapper XD 82V Specifications|
Designed with high-efficiency brushless motors and 82V lithium-ion batteries, the Snapper XD is an unbeatable choice for consistent performance.
How To Choose The Most Powerful Hedge Trimmer?
Choosing the power source that you prefer for your future hedge trimmer is a big decision. There are two options – gas and electric:
Gas-powered hedge trimmers
Electric hedge trimmers
Able to take on tougher jobs in faster time
-Lightweight & easy to use
-Harder to use
-Less power => work more slowly and difficultly on tough tasks
-Frequent jobs that require cutting large, thick, or unruly branches
-A large yard with big hedges
-Beginners because they’re easier to maneuver and safer to use
Electric hedge trimmers are divided into two smaller categories – the corded and the cordless.
While the cordless hedge trimmer makes the trimming tasks easier because you’re able to go as far as wanted from the outlet without bothering about the trail cords behind you, it is limited in the runtime. Or, the battery performance.
The corded type, on the other hand, gives you a more powerful performance with unlimited runtime. In turn, you have to deal with extension cords while working.
There are several things relating to a hedge trimmer’s blade that you should keep in mind:
- Single or double-sided? – affect the amount of time taken for a trimming job, safety, and ease of use
- Blade teeth distance/blade gap – affect the machine’s performance on different types of branches
- Length – affect the ease of use
Start with the first element!
We highly recommend the single-sided hedge trimmer for beginners because it is safer and easier to maneuver as you can keep the machine’s side with the blade faced away from you.
The double-sided one is only suggested for pro users because it can cut on both sides at a time, which requires more skills to handle. In turn, it significantly shortens the amount of time for each trimming work.
About the blade gap, if you’re just a home user, we recommend choosing a hedge trimmer with blade gaps ranging within 3/8” to ¾”. For commercial use, it should be one inch or up.
Last but not least – the blade length. There’s a basic rule of thumb – the shorter, the easier to manage and unwieldy when working in narrow spaces yet the harder to trim hedges evenly.
If you’re a newbie, start from the shorter one. In most cases, an 18” blade is okay.
Which Brands Make The Most Powerful Hedge Trimmer?
One of the OGs in this industry, Poulan Pro, founded in 1946 in Louisiana by veteran lumberjack Claude Poulan. With over 70 years’ experience, their powerful products are outstanding for not just innovation, quality, high performance, and durability but also the low pricing.
Established in 1689, needless to say that Husqvarna is the king in this field. Their products have never disappointed us for safety, ease of use, and high performance. But what truly sets their powerful hedge trimmer lines apart is the signature anti-vibration.
Originally set up in 1910, this American manufacturer of power tools has been developing unstoppably, and at the current, they have owned some patented technologies along with a wholly-owned subsidiary of that company.
Probably one of the youngest brands in this list, Sun Joe was founded in 2004 but their product lines are never inferior in terms of innovation and quality. Plus, with an incredibly low pricing, it gradually gains more and more love from worldwide customers.
Another trustworthy brand in this list is DEWALT, founded in 1922. With a rich history of developing, it now has over 830 authorized service centers and 64 centers across the US.
Will a hedge trimmer cut briars?
Yes, it will. To control briar vines, start from late spring to early summer for the best results. Use a hedge trimmer to cut off their base and run the lawnmower over them whenever you see them come up.
Can a hedge trimmer cut long grass?
Yes, it can.
A powerful hedge trimmer can cut through long grasses efficiently without having to make fast, swinging motions.
Can you use a hedge trimmer to cut branches?
No, you can’t. It’s because a hedge trimmer doesn’t provide enough horsepower to cut through branches. You should use loppers or pruning shears instead.
Do you need to oil hedge trimmer blades?
Yes, you do.
Whenever using the machine, remember to lubricate its blades properly to keep them cleaner and safe from moisture, therefore, their longevity is extended to the extreme.
Can you trim hedges with a pole saw?
Yes, you can. But take note that it won’t give you as precision as using a specialized hedge trimmer. In fact, it just removes the intended section in an unrefined way.
That’s all for this post.
We hope that we’ve been of assistance to your decision-making process of the most powerful hedge trimmer. Thanks a lot for reading!