If you are skeptical of the capabilities of cordless outdoor power tools, the best self-propelled electric lawn mowers listed below will change your thinking on these products.
Here are the best self propelled electric lawn mowers you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall: Greenworks MO80L410 Pro Brushless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- Best For Light Use: Sun Joe iON16LM Brushless Cordless Lawn Mower
- Most Powerful: Snapper XD Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- Mower & Blower Combo: WORX WG960 Cordless Lawn Mower + Blower
- Best For Tall Grass: CRAFTSMAN V60 Cordless Self-propelled Lawn Mower
- Longest Run Time: Snapper Electric Cordless Lawn Mower Kit 1687966
Best Overall: Greenworks MO80L410 Pro Brushless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- Use up to 70% less space in your garage
- Operate quietly
- Easy to use
- Built to last
- Support inside discharge, mulch, and rear bag disposal
Though on a more expensive side, the Greenworks MO80L410 Pro Brushless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower outperforms other competitors in the electric machine market, making it among the best ones to purchase today.
Greenworks’ 80-volt mower is equipped with Innovative Smart Cut Technology that helps it detect and automatically deliver the right powered required for maintaining an optimal cutting speed, which results in maximum running time - 45 minutes on a fully-charged single 4Ah battery and the best cut possible.
In addition to its 3-in-1 design allowing users to mulch, rear bag, or side discharge, this unit also boasts a durable 21" steel deck, seven deck height adjustment options, and a vertical storage feature.
|Greenworks MO80L410 Pro Brushless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower Specifications|
62.6 x 37.8 x 22.1 inches
7-position single-handle height adjustment
4Ah Battery Included
Innovative Smart Cut Technology
The Greenworks MO80L410 Pro Brushless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower is such a perfect choice for those in search of a simple yet durable and efficient battery-operated self-propelled lawn mower that can easily get the job done.
Best For Light Use: Sun Joe iON16LM Brushless Cordless Lawn Mower
- Compact design
- ETL approved
- Energy Star certified
- Easy to maneuver in tight spaces
- Deliver maximum performance
- An extension cord needed for a bigger yard
While some might spend an arm and a leg on a lawn mower, you can still get a high-quality machine at a fraction of the cost of other electric lawn mowers.
The Sun Joe ION16LMCT iON16LM-CT 40-Volt 4.0-Amp 16-Inch Brushless Cordless Lawn Mower
Though being on the lower-priced side, this lawn mower by Sun Joe still has a small 16-inch deck and includes six different deck height adjustment positions. Moreover, it comes with a 9.25-gallon grass bag and discharge chute, allowing you to collect clippings and easily discard them.
The only downside noted by a lot of Sun Joe iON16LM Brushless Cordless Lawn Mower’s users is the lack of an extension cord for performance on any bigger yards.
|Sun Joe iON16LM Brushless Cordless Lawn Mower Specifications|
48.4 x 17.7 x 42.9 inches
Cutting height from 1.18 to 3.15 Inch
Extended motor life (up to 2000 hours)
Exclusive EcoSharp technology
9.25-gallon grass bag
Sun Joe iON16LM Brushless Cordless Lawn Mower is a go-to solution for those wanting to keep their small garden neat and eye-catching.
Most Powerful: Snapper XD Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- Super powerful
- Extremely quiet
- Require less maintenance
- Have vertical storage capabilities
- Heavy for an electric-powered lawn mower
In terms of its industrial design and power output, the Snapper XD 82V MAX electric cordless self-propelled lawn mower is most like a gas-powered machine. Like any excellent gas-engine lawn mowers, it cuts a generous 21-inch cutting path.
Though this unit is a bit heavier than its electric-operated counterparts, the 10-inch rear wheels make it better deal with washboard surfaces as well as dual batteries. Also, you can mount it on a three-function capability steel mower deck including side discharge, bags, and mulches.
You can take advantage of single-point height adjustments with up to seven levers to raise or lower your preferred cutting height as best suits any lawn’s conditions.
|Snapper XD Self-Propelled Lawn Mower Specifications|
44.5 x 21.5 x 19 inches
82V Lithium ion 2.0Ah Battery kit
Rear Wheel Size: 10 inch
Snapper XD Self-Propelled Lawn Mower closely matches its gas-engine brethren for mowing without tiring ourselves out.
Mower & Blower Combo: WORX WG960 Cordless Lawn Mower + Blower
- Require just little to no assembly
- Produce up to 360 cfm of air volume to tackle any job
- Compact and lightweight
- Portable and flexible
- Durable over rough terrain
- Offer a quiet and smooth operation
- Short battery life
Next on our list of the best self-propelled electric lawn mowers is the WORX 20-inch 40V Li-Ion Cordless Mower that is tough enough to handle any jobs.
Unlike other lawn mowers whose decks are made of aluminum or plastic, this 20-inch cutting deck is made of solid steel thus being durable over any type of terrain even the roughest ones.
This 2-Speed TURBINE Cordless Blower produces forced air at either 75 or 60 MPH, depending on the setting chosen and deliver either 360 or 225 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) of air volume.
While most users prefer full power all the time, lower speed actually can ensure a better performance on hard surfaces such as driveways or sidewalks.
The only issue we have with the WORX WG960 Cordless Lawn Mower is its short battery life.
|WORX WG960 Cordless Lawn Mower + Blower Specifications|
37.5 x 22.5 x 14.5 inches
20V 5.0Ah Li-ion batteries
3-in-1 rear discharge
WORX WG960 Cordless Lawn Mower + Blower combo allows you to mow your lawns and clean them up with only one single machine.
Best For Tall Grass: CRAFTSMAN V60 Cordless Self-propelled Lawn Mower
- Easy to transport
- Reduce user fatigue
- Backed by Craftsman® 4-year limited warranty and 90-day money-back guarantee
- Long charge time
Those who’ve got a relatively small lawn (no more than 1/3 acre) and grass that is ridiculously tall thick will find the CRAFTSMAN V60 Cordless Self-propelled Lawn Mower an excellent alternative to their old gas guzzler.
You can adjust its height with up to six options raising it from 1.5 inches all the way up to 4 inches for custom controlled cutting.
Spinning its blades is a 7.5AH motor, powered by a 60V lithium-ion battery with a variable-speed self-drive mechanism providing nice cuts and long run time. At a normal operating setting, Craftsman estimates this product’s run time as 70 minutes.
However, it takes from 1.5 to 2 hours to get the CRAFTSMAN V60 Cordless Self-propelled Lawn Mower fully charged.
|CRAFTSMAN V60 Cordless Self-propelled Lawn Mower Specifications|
33.8 x 21.9 x 15.1 inches
Vertical folding position
Variable-speed self-drive mechanism
60V MAX 7.5AH lithium ion batteries
3-in-1 rear discharge
CRAFTSMAN V60 Cordless Self-propelled Lawn Mower is among the sturdiest and strongest self-propelled lawn mowers that can tackle taller and thicker branches.
Longest Run Time: Snapper Electric Cordless Lawn Mower Kit 1687966
- Easy to start and use
- Require less maintenance
- Battery might be overheated
For those with a tight budget but still wanting a battery-operated mower that can match the performance of a gas-engine model, the Snapper Electric Cordless Lawn Mower Kit 1687966 is our top pick.
We really appreciate its long running time.
You can get up to 1.5 hours of clean cut time with a 5.0 battery under light loads per full charge. Moreover, the Snapper HD 48V MAX Electric Cordless lawn mower comes with a rapid battery charging station that can easily juice up the battery so you can even power it through longer grass and accomplish one chore to another.
The only issue is the battery that might be overheated.
|Snapper Electric Cordless Lawn Mower Kit 1687966 Specifications|
59 x 21 x 42 inches
Up to 90 minutes of run time with 5.0 Battery under light loads
7 levers between 1 3/8"-3 3/4"
Vertical storage capabilities
48V Max 5.0 Battery
Intelligent load sensing technology
3-in-1 rear discharge
Briggs & Stratton Lithium-ion Technology
1.6 bushel bagger
Snapper Electric Cordless Lawn Mower Kit 1687966 saves your valuable time and room for storage in your garage while still promising complete freedom of movement.
How To Choose The Best Self Propelled Electric Lawn Mowers?
- Different models might have different types of batteries, and each of which might have different voltages. The most popular ones are forty-volt batteries and some manufacturers can go even much larger, as is the case with Greenworks’ 80-volt; CRAFTSMAN’s 60-volt; and Snapper’s 82-volt options.
- Every single thing being equal, smaller-voltage motors cannot be as efficient as a larger-voltage one, thus not making the best use of the battery’s energy storage.
- Here’s useful advice. If you have a yard no more than 2,000 square feet, there is no way to go wrong with a machine in the 36- to 40-volt range. Those who have to deal with tougher cutting conditions or thousand square feet of weeds should step up to a self-propelled machine with a higher voltage, though.
- If you have a large-sized lawn (up to, and sometimes more than, 1/2 acre), then you should invest in a machine which has such a high battery allowing for a longer run time whereas someone with a smaller lawn (up to 1/8 acre) may need a unit with shorter running time.
Adjustable Cutting Height
- Each type of grass might need cutting at a specific height, so adjustable deck height is to users’ benefit. The more height adjustment levers your machine offers, the more grass type it can tame.
- Gas mowers are not the only choice for those who want larger cutting width in the 20" to 22" range. The wider the cordless lawn mower deck, the fewer passes made on your grass.
Which Brands Make The Best Self Propelled Electric Lawn Mowers?
- This American brand has gained a reputation for providing not only DIY-consumers but also landscaping professionals with reliable battery-operated outdoor power equipment. The advantage of a full line of the right tools for every single job is the power and excellent performance of any comparable gas-engine tools.
Snow Joe + Sun Joe
- Over 16 past years, this American company has been putting much effort in producing innovative products to help every single customer easily find smart lawn & garden care solutions for their specific requirements. With a robust line of Snow Joe + Sun Joe-branded tools including snow blowers, trimmers, tillers, and lawn mowers, you can keep your property looking gorgeous all year round, whether in falling snow or the scorching heat.
- This company formerly based in Georgia specializes in manufacturing residential and professional snow-removal and lawn-care tools. The key to its success is the rely on extensive customers’ research to create the best devices available to simplify their yard routine.
Are electric lawn mowers any good?
Electric lawn mowers are suitable for the small lawns, which is not over 8,000 square feet.
How long does an electric lawn mower battery last?
Depending on the model chosen, your electric-powered lawn mower battery can last up from 40 mins to 1.5 hours before needing recharging. While the battery’s lifetime is approximately 5 years, some electric mowers even might last up to 10 years.
Are electric lawn mowers better than gas?
Gas-engine lawn mowers: more durable; more powerful; perfect for mowing tall grass & large lawns yet more expensive & heavier.
Electric lawn mowers: Environmentally-friendly with relatively low maintenance required yet potential for electrical shock & deliver a narrower cutting swath.
Do electric lawn mowers use a lot of electricity?
No, they don’t. In fact, electric motors are way more energy-efficient than gas-engine models, meaning that it costs less to run these environmentally-friendly machines. Expect to spend approximately 11 cents each hour on electricity to charge a cordless mower battery or run a corded lawn mower.
Is it safe to cut wet grass with electric mower?
Obviously, using an electric mower to mow wet grass is never safe.
Tired of oil & fuel as well as maintenance required by a gas-engine mower? It’s time to get your outdoor chores done with the best self-propelled electric lawn mower!