Herb plants may serve your purpose of cooking or repelling insects. But despite that, you should always have the right pots to house the plants.
The best planter for herbs will give you not only the freedom to arrange your plants according to the season or their blooming time but also an aesthetical home for the plant.
But is it easy to choose a planter for herbs? Not really! But it saves you more time reading my post than researching yourself. I’m right here to make sure you get the right pot. So, please keep on reading.
Here are the best planters for herbs you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall: Mkono 3 Pack Self Watering Planter
- Best For Shallow Planting: Elongated Self Watering Planter Pots
- Best For Smaller Herbs: Watering Planter Modern Decorative Pot
- Best For Average-sized Windowsills: Barnyard Designs Succulent Herb Pot Planter
- Best For Bigger Plants: T4U 6 Inch Self Watering Planters Plastic Plant Pot
- Best For Indoor Herb Garden: T4U 4 Inch Self Watering Pots for Indoor Plants
|Top 6 Best Planters For Herbs|
|Mkono 3 Pack Self Watering Planter|
Best For Shallow Planting
|Elongated Self Watering Planter Pots|
Best For Smaller Herbs
|Watering Planter Modern Decorative Pot|
Best For Average-sized Windowsills
|Barnyard Designs Succulent Herb Pot Planter|
Best For Bigger Plants
|T4U 6 Inch Self Watering Planters Plastic Plant Pot|
Best For Indoor Herb Garden
|T4U 4 Inch Self Watering Pots for Indoor Plants|
Best Overall: Mkono 3 Pack Self Watering Planter
- Convenient self-watering
- Modern style
- Double-Layer Design
- The rope is not long-lasting
- A bit small
It’s fascinating to have a planter that waters itself when your mind is absent. The pot features a base that can contain water for the roots to access.
If you worry about over watering, this pot is made with that in mind, with the planting area sits above the water level. It uses a cotton rope to deliver water and nutrients in it to the soil feeding the root.
That gives you the freedom to leave the plant home up to 10 days per fill. No concern about placing this pot outside as it’s manufactured from durable PP plastic.
When using the pot, always keep the water level below 0.4 inches so that it won’t waterlog your plants.
|Mkono 3 Pack Self Watering Planter Specifications|
3.9"W x 3.2"H
5.2"W x 5.4"H
Durable PP plastic reinforces the structure for well withstanding when sitting outside
This planter gives you an overall option for planting your herbs effortlessly.
Best For Shallow Planting: Elongated Self Watering Planter Pots
- High-glossy surface
- Water storage for self-watering
- Well ventilation with various drain holes
- Come with a fiber soil slab
- Roots can choke out
Here is yet another self-watering pot that frees you from keeping a watering schedule. Its size is ideal for a home garden, desk, windowsill, or balcony.
With 5.5” height and less in the inner basin, the pot fits shallow planting well in the pot with many drainage holes at the bottom. The white housing will store excessive water to give your herbs the moisture they need anytime. This unit comes with a water level gauge that helps you observe to prevent soaking your plant.
The material used for this planter is non-toxic and durable, suitable for outside plants. Buying the pot, you’ll receive a bag of coconut coir soil made from natural coconut fiber. You can add that freebie to make the soil more breathable.
|Elongated Self Watering Planter Pots Specifications|
The look and its exact depth of this pot are just right for shallow plantin
Best For Smaller Herbs: Watering Planter Modern Decorative Pot
- Compact size for kitchen island
- Can stand outdoor
- Good value
- Easy to tip over
Maybe you don’t need large bushes of rosemary or thyme but a little pot on the kitchen island ready right at your hand.
The size of these pots is appropriate for smaller herbs. Three pots allow three plants in one place so you’ll have more than one herb for your cooking.
When watering, there is no need to lift the planting part. There is a mesh window lets you fill in water with ease. The outer basin will store water and then a cotton rope will transfer water to the soil. So, you don’t have to keep a watering regular.
|Watering Planter Modern Decorative Pot Specifications|
4” x 4”
Made from high-quality plastic and treated with lacquer for a shiny outer layer and durable
Look no further for a smaller herb house. You’ve got the right pots of the right size here.
Best For Average-sized Windowsills: Barnyard Designs Succulent Herb Pot Planter
- Can write on
- Easy to rinse off
- Fit average-sized windowsills
- Not long-lasting
- The material is weak
Have you got a tray of delicate spices? It’s time to get a tray of herb plants next to eat serving your cooking section.
This pack consists of 3 pots with the surface treated for being writable. You can label your plants using chalk.
With a drainage hole in each pot, it guarantees your planter won’t be waterlogged.
These pots are so cute that you can use them as caddies for tissues or utensils. The rustic look is what I love, and I remember how happy I was, looking at my herb plants getting bigger. When placing a windowsill, it just shines.
It’s easy to carry these little pots around using the provided tray. It also acts as a holder for excessive water.
|Barnyard Designs Succulent Herb Pot Planter Specifications|
4.25” W x 4” H
12.5” L x 4” W x 1” H
3 pots allow growing 3 different herb kinds with a tray holder for drained water
If you ever need something of the average size for your windowsill, this is just right what you need.
Best For Bigger Plants: T4U 6 Inch Self Watering Planters Plastic Plant Pot
- Great design
- Durable made
- Smart reservoir
- Hard to clean when it’s filled with soil
The pot gives a spacious space for your lemon balm, hyssop, or sage. You may find no drainage holes at the bottom, but there is actually a secondary bottom. This drainer plate acts as a barrier between the soil and space under. You can fill water in and leave for the plant to drink itself.
You will receive 6 pots in the package of simple and classic design. The style and color can easily blend in any decoration style.
On top of everything, you are backed with a 60-day money-back guarantee. That means feel free to use and return the items any time if you don’t like them.
|T4U 6 Inch Self Watering Planters Plastic Plant Pot Specifications|
6"W x 5"H
1.3" Tall drainer plate
Designed with a drainer plate to make a gap between soil and water to prevent waterlogging
Your bigger plants now have a new home that is ready to gather lots of attention.
Best For Indoor Herb Garden: T4U 4 Inch Self Watering Pots for Indoor Plants
- Environmental friendly
- Longtime water storage
- Smart double-layer design
- Easy to clean
- May produce mold in the soil
How about pots for making many herb plants into a small garden indoor? That’d be impressive.
This T4U set is just what you need. They are 6 elegant round-shaped planters made of new raw material free of formaldehyde. So, no poison will penetrate to the plants.
You will plant inside the pot while the outer bowl will hold water for self-watering. And the water will remain there for up to 15 days. This double-layer design is pretty ideal for an indoor herb garden that requires more care.
As you know, T4U always wants their customers happy. So, they offer 120 days of trial, or you will have your money back. Try this set now before they are out.
|T4U 4 Inch Self Watering Pots for Indoor Plants Specifications|
2.9"W x 2.4"H
3.75"W x 4”H
Made to be eco-friendly and store water in a long period
This set of planters is a confident choice that no one should miss for one’s elegant indoor garden.
How To Choose The Best Planters For Herbs?
Who cares? Herbs can make a home in any pot you give.
But that’s not true!
If you wish to grow herbs at home, you must have the right planter.
But how to pick out the best herb container? Let me share my experience with you.
- To serve your culinary objective, having a pot of herb within your reach is pretty handy. That’s why you should consider the size.
- A 6-inch pot fits dwarf herbs or shallow-rooted plants quite well if you are not a frequent chef. It gives space for a small bush of thyme or basil, enough for you to make occasional dishes. But using small pots, you should pay attention to watering more frequently.
- The perfect size of the pot, in my opinion, varies from 8 to 10 inches. A nice-looking pot is big enough to make a complimented spot in your home. This size is also ideal for restraining the growth of herbs.
- 12 to 18-inch pots seems too large to make a table pot, but if you need something of that spacious, feel free to go. However, these pots make great housing for parsley, which has a deep taproot. Lemongrass is another kind of herb you’re going to constrain in a deeper pot.
- Herb planters are available in many varieties. But the most prevalent ones are window boxes, shallow pots, hanging pots, and self-watering pots.
- Self-watering planters are pretty useful in keeping your plant hydrated without a spraying schedule. The best type to dress up your window is the window boxes without occupying much space in your home. Hanging pots are also useful in saving your living space while giving a range of room for your herbs to grow. Shallows pots are particularly made for shallow-rooted plants like chives, oregano, tarragon, or thyme.
- Herb pots can come in a number of materials. While clay and terracotta are the most affordable, resin and plastic are catching up with price and quality too.
- Growing herbs in a clay pot, you should care more about watering because its porous nature will dry out the moisture inside the pot quicker.
- Cement and stone planters are more suitable for the garden as they can be quite heavy. However, these pots will become a part of the landscaping, adding a significant aestheticism to your décor.
- If you tend to move the plant around for the sun or shade, use resin pots instead. These pots are now made to be friendlier with the environment while still giving the durability needed for both inside and outside displaying.
- Needless to mention. It’s vital for pots to have holes for water to escape, or the plant will become rot.
- Pots with a self-watering system also have drainage holes. But these holes are pretty much for water in the basin to travel through rather than escaping.
Which Brands Make The Best Planters For Herbs?
- Mkono is a brand for home decoration. The company provides planters of various styles, shapes, and sizes. Most importantly, their pots are made for high durability and appealing properties.
- Needless to say, planters from GardenBasix bear the uniqueness that is hard to find in any other brand. You can find in their list a bunch of pots for your herbs that add a highlight to anywhere it stands. The products yet come with excellent craftsmanship for the most extended lifespan.
- T4U is another brand that delivers outstanding containers for growing herbs. The brand blows to their pots, a style that is one of a kind. Not only do they look extraordinary but also elegant and exquisite, matching any decoration style.
Can you plant herbs in metal containers?
I would not. If I ever do, I do it temporarily. Metal pots absorb heat from the environment and kill the root with high temperatures.
Galvanized pots are also a kind of metal, but they involve some hazards associated with zinc. Since herbs are for eating, I don’t recommend using this kind of pot for herb planting.
What kind of light do herbs need?
In general, herbs only need six hours of sunlight every day. But if the source of natural light is not available, it’s possible to substitute artificial light. You can use LED or HID lights and provide the plant with 14 to 16 hours of light.
Can you plant herbs in shallow pots?
Most of the familiar herbs we know have shallow roots. Plants like dill, cilantro, parsley, and thyme don’t dig deep into the soil more than 3 to 12 inches. That said, it’s ok to grow herbs in shallow pots.
Are concrete pots good for herbs?
Concrete pots provide a good home for herbs except for one thing that they are heavy. You may consider planters of this type if you’re not going to move the pot anywhere. Also, I don’t a small container of concrete is a good idea for a mini pot to sit on the countertop. They may not offer a charming look like other lighter pots. However, they promise to last better than compared to other materials.
How fast do herbs get bigger?
Different herbs have different growing speed. For example, the germination of parsley takes around 14 to 60 days. That is the amount of time you allow the root to expand. Then, consider a larger container if you want to harvest from a bigger plant.
Growing herbs is such a rewarding hobby. It brings up satisfaction when harvesting the aromatic and fresh leaves for the dishes. And choosing the best planter for herbs is no less enjoyable.
With a variety of pots combining, you will have a garden full of herbs you any dish that comes to mind. If you have any problem choosing the right container for your herbs, leave me a comment. It’s my pleasure to help.