Planting succulents is addictive, but choosing pots for the plants is even more enjoyable. The best planter for succulents would make your cacti happier besides giving you a place to display your plants in a more aesthetically way.
But why you need this article?
Even you have a particular taste for planters; there are still options out there that bear pros and cons. That’s why I’m bringing my own preferences here, hoping to help you decide the next pot for your succulents. Let’s get started.
Here are the best planters for succulents you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall: 11.1 inch long rectangle White Ceramic Succulent Planter Pots
- Best For Windowsill: OAMCEG 2.75 inch Mini Succulent Plant Pots
- Best For Dining Table: Sun-E Modern Style Marbling Ceramic Flower Pot
- Best For Breathability: Terracotta Pot Clay Ceramic Pottery Planters
- Best For Tight Budget: DeElf 15 Colorful Succulent Planter Pots
- Durable: HOMENOTE 5.2 Inch Plastic Planters Indoor Set
|Top 6 Best Planters For Succulents|
|11.1 inch long rectangle White Ceramic Succulent Planter Pots||Read Our Review|
Best For Windowsill
|OAMCEG 2.75 inch Mini Succulent Plant Pots||Read Our Review|
Best For Dining Table
|Sun-E Modern Style Marbling Ceramic Flower Pot||Read Our Review|
Best For Breathability
|Terracotta Pot Clay Ceramic Pottery Planters||Read Our Review|
Best For Tight Budget
|DeElf 15 Colorful Succulent Planter Pots||Read Our Review|
|HOMENOTE 5.2 Inch Plastic Planters Indoor Set||Read Our Review|
Best Overall: 11.1 inch long rectangle White Ceramic Succulent Planter Pots
- Smooth finish
- Well-made ceramic
- Come with a bamboo saucer
- Fit most place in the home
- Tiny drainage hole
Planting in a rectangular shape is always ideal for an exhibition of cacti. It gives a generous length for a line of plants.
With this planter, you have 11.1 inches long ceramic pot simplified to be completely white to boost the beauty of your succulent set.
It looks perfect when standing by your window. The size is ideal for any location in the home, in case you want the pot in your bathroom or on the kitchen counter. Otherwise, feel free to use this pot to hold your bits and pieces.
There is a drainage hole for water to travel out. What’s great is it comes with a bamboo saucer to contain excessive water.
|11.1 inch long rectangle White Ceramic Succulent Planter Pots Specifications|
Made from ceramic
White and heavy for not moving around.
Nice-looking bamboo saucer
This planter is a cute little pot to display not only succulents but also other short-rooted plants.
Best For Windowsill: OAMCEG 2.75 inch Mini Succulent Plant Pots
- Easy to match any decoration style
- Stylish hexagon shape
- Ultra-hard quality
- Thin wall
These pots look so intimating whether standing alone or in a set. When I received the set, I rushed to prepare the plants and place them right on the windowsill in my office.
It was the minimalist design that caught my attention. The white finish looks so elegant, fitting any of my décors. Each pot makes a nice home for a single succulent. With this set, you can combine succulents or plants of many kinds and pile them a handsome setup.
The set comes with 6 pots with separate saucers. Measured 2.17 inches in height, each planter gives sufficient space for the succulent’s root to grow to its max.
With the simple style and design, these pots are easy to blend in any home’s style. This set will make a perfect gift choice for anyone you love on any occasion.
|OAMCEG 2.75 inch Mini Succulent Plant Pots Specifications|
2.75”W x 2.17”H
6”W x 3.15
Great workmanship for the pots a long useful life
These little pots are in the right size for windowsill and more places like on the desktop, kitchen, bathroom, or office.
Best For Dining Table: Sun-E Modern Style Marbling Ceramic Flower Pot
- Made from durable clay
- Wonderful surface patterns
- Can stand alone or in collection
- Artificial Looking
- Small drain hole
The exceptional design imitates stones in nature will deliver a fresher vibe to your dining table.
These pots come in unique shapes and patterns to brag any decoration setting they sit in. They are made to have a marble-like appearance carrying an elegant and luxurious ambiance.
You can either make a collection of different plants for an eclectic feel or display them individually. Anything you do with these pots will further add a refreshing view in your home.
SUN-E, the company behind these planters, produced their products with high-quality clay baked in high temperatures. That elongates the lifespan of the pots, allowing you to show off your plants longer.
You will receive 4 pieces in the package, ideal for giving as a gift.
|Sun-E Modern Style Marbling Ceramic Flower Pot Specifications|
3.35”L x 3.35”W x 2.56”H
Created from top-quality clay with exceptional surface promoting any décor it sits in
Time to give your dining table a new impression and get ready for lots of compliments.
Best For Breathability: Terracotta Pot Clay Ceramic Pottery Planters
- Premium quality
- Insoluble in water
- Can stand under direct sunlight
- Some pots may get broken during delivery
Each pot in the set is delicate work. They are crafted from premium clay then processed under 1796°F high temperature. That makes them stronger than any normal clay pot I’ve seen in the market. These nursery pots yet feature great durability and crack resistance.
These tiny planters feature good air permeability, allowing the roots to breathe. But in case you don’t want to plant in the pots, it’s possible to make them decorative items. The pots have a color applicable surface. That means you are free to paint the new color or any patterns of your creativeness.
There are 32 pieces in the set, perfect for exhibiting your succulents. Not only that, the set comes with 10 waterproof plant tags for you to label your pots.
|Terracotta Pot Clay Ceramic Pottery Planters Specifications|
2.1”W x 2”H
4.3 pounds whole set
Superior-quality clay baked under high temperature for durability and crack resistance
These pots make a great breathable home for succulents and other tiny pot plants.
Best For Tight Budget: DeElf 15 Colorful Succulent Planter Pots
- Vibrant colors
- Easy to clean
- Very affordable
- Made from plastic
For those who love the vibrant colors for their place, these pots are the right choice. It is a set of 15 colorful plastic pots with removable saucers. You are free to mix the head of this pot with the end of the other.
I got this package from a friend of mine and really enjoyed switching among the two halves. That gives me a new look over my collection almost every day.
Plastic made is lightweight. The top planting bowl gives you an area of 3 inches, suitable for succulents with shallow roots. There are drainage holes allowing well breathability. I also used the pots to grow wheatgrass and saw their roots shooting out.
The saucers that hold water are easy to remove with one spin. You can discard the drained water clean the bowl with no hassle. What’s great is in the price tag. With less than 10 bucks, you have a perfect gift package for anyone you love.
|DeElf 15 Colorful Succulent Planter Pots Specifications|
9.3 x 8 x 3 inches
9.3 x 8 x 3 inches
Made to be lightweight
These pots will let you know planting is so joyful and make you love the hobby.
Durable: HOMENOTE 5.2 Inch Plastic Planters Indoor Set
- Eco-friendly material
These were just the right pots I needed to promote an eco-friendly lifestyle to my colleagues. They are made from biodegradable plastic material but are quite durable and sturdy under the damage of the sun.
I placed one of these planters on the windowsill in my living room and exposed it to direct sunlight for a while. And I haven’t seen any damage sign to it. That’s quite impressive.
In the set, you’ll get 5 pots and the same amount of saucers. They are suitable for many plants, not only succulents. The drainage system will ensure your plants don’t drink too much water.
|HOMENOTE 5.2 Inch Plastic Planters Indoor Set Specifications|
5.12"W x 4.72"H
Make use of durable
Eco-friendly material that stands the test of natural damage
This durable set is great to get your plants a long-term home.
How To Choose The Best Planters For Succulents?
In the art of succulents, the pot part is also essential. Choosing the right planter can be fun and very satisfying if you know how to combine different pots.
There are actually a few things about the pot you need to keep in mind. Let’s start with the most important factor.
- You can’t plant in a closed housing that gives no way for water to leak out. Since succulents are native to arid climates, they don’t need that much water feeding once in a while. If you have too much wetness in the soil, the roots can easily become rotten. But you do have to sprinkle them sometimes.
- However, controlling the water is unnecessary if the pot has a drainage hole. The water will be drained out, leaving the dry soil succulents and cacti like.
- In fact, a majority of pots come with drainage holes at the bottom. But if you do a DIY project to make your own pots, don’t forget to drill in some holes.
- For small, tiny pots, you don’t need a lot of holes. But if the size is up, more holes give better ventilation. It depends on the kind of succulent too. Some kinds require holes all around.
- Planters for succulents are available in many materials. The most popular one is clay. You can find clay pot everywhere. They have a decent appearance suitable for any plant.
- Clay pots are breathable. In the structure, clay pots don’t have a dense surface, but it tends to be rough, allowing micro-sized holes that sucking up moisture from the soil. That gives water another way to escape rather than from the drainage holes.
- However, clay pots can be heavy if you have a huge set sitting in a large pot. This can be good or bad. But as long as I’m sticking with tiny little clay planters for my desk, I’ll be fine.
- This kind of pot is also limited in color. People seldom sell painted clay pots but will leave the creative work to the buyer. For me, the original color looks just as good as it is, and it means to be like that as a clay pot. So, you can paint anything you like.
- Glazed ceramic
- Glazed ceramic is also clay but treated with a coating giving a smooth surface. Using glazed ceramic, you need to control watering. It is because its treating has sealed the surface, blocked the way for moisture to evaporate.
- Porcelain pots have the same characteristics. However, these planters are better looking for their artistic nature. Porcelain pots usually cost more than ordinary clay pots.
- Glass containers are probably the most expensive pots, but they give a transparent look to the soil. But it trades off the breathability and worse if it doesn’t come with drainage holes.
- Size is also a critical factor. Larger pots are not always good; smaller pots are not the ideal choice also. So, which size is best?
- There is no best size. But it’s vital to plant succulents in shallows planters. The reason is the moist in the soil can harm the roots.
- In case you can’t reject the beauty of the pot, try to increase the draining medium percentage. Besides, you can improve drainage by placing gravel at the bottom of the pot.
- The Harworthia succulent is an exception that has a reliable root system that can tolerate excess moisture. That’s why it can do well in pots with poor breathability.
Which Brands Make The Best Planters For Succulents?
- It’s not a surprise when mentioning SUN-E. The brand is popular in providing quality and unique home accessories. Succulent containers from SUN-E all bear the characteristics of durability, lightweight, and also stylish.
- DeElf is pretty famous in selling decorative items that are superior in quality and affordable in price. They have a variety of planters available in different sizes and shapes. All of their products aim to make your home a more vivid and lively place.
Can you plant succulents in metal containers?
Yes, you can. But it’s definitely not a long-term option for planting succulents. As metal absorbs temperature, it can change the environment inside the soil, thus hurting your plant from the root. If you ever have to use a metal planter, only consider it temporary.
What kind of light do succulents need?
It is sunlight that succulents naturally need to grow, but the plants only require about 6 hours of brightness every day, indirectly. The alternative can be fluorescent light from tubes and bulbs or LED light.
Can you plant succulents in shallow pots?
Succulents are shallow-root plants. That’s why it’s ok to display them in a bowl or dish. Therefore, a shallow pot is just right for succulents to house in.
Are concrete pots good for succulents?
Concrete pots are porous. It has several holes in the structure similar to clay, that allow water to evaporate. That means concrete planters are ideal for succulents. However, it can be heavy, even more than clay pots, due to the density of the material. But in exchange, it gives you a fortified construction that stands with time for your succulents.
Do succulents get bigger?
That depends on the kind of succulents. While some can grow bigger if placed in a larger pot, others remain its tiny and adorable size. So, if you deal with succulents that grow in size, pay attention, and transfer them to a more prominent planter before they outgrow their old home.
Planting succulents is such a recreational hobby, but you can make it more enjoyable. Choosing the best planter for succulents plays a critical role in stepping your succulent joy to the next level.
With more options for plant containers, you can combine, design, and play with your creativeness to create a unique collection of succulents of your own.
I hope you’ve got what you want, and please come back with the chosen pots; I can’t wait to know.