A ceiling fan is not only a fan to cool down the room temperature but also a decoration and a light for your place. An outdoor ceiling fan for salt air in coastal areas should be damp or wet rated, and made of materials that are resistant to salt air.
Here are my top picks for the best outdoor ceiling fans for salt air in coastal areas:
Here are the best outdoor ceiling fans for salt air in coastal areas you can buy in 2021:
- Classic Design (Outdoor Ceiling Fan): HUNTER 59420 Coral Bay
- Contemporary Design (Outdoor Ceiling Fan): Minka Aire F624-WHF Roto XL
- Premium (Outdoor Ceiling Fan): 3, Matthews Donaire 316 Marine Grade
- Palm Leaf Fan Blades (Outdoor Ceiling Fan): Honeywell 50510-01 Inland Breeze
|4 Best Outdoor Ceiling Fans For Salt Air In Coastal Areas|
|HUNTER 59420 Coral Bay|
|Minka Aire F624-WHF Roto XL|
|Matthews Donaire 316 Marine Grade|
Palm Leaf Fan Blades
|Honeywell 50510-01 Inland Breeze|
Classic Design (Outdoor Ceiling Fan): HUNTER 59420 Coral Bay
- Beautiful classic design
- Quiet performance
- Dimmable LED light bulbs
- Universal handheld remote
- 2in and 3in downrods included
- Only damp rated
HUNTER 59420 Coral Bay has a beautiful classic design. The body is made of steel with a noble bronze color. The five wooden blades and the LED Edison bulbs encased in a seeded glass for a vintage appearance. This ceiling fan is a perfect complement to your classic and cozy decor.
HUNTER 59420 Coral Bay deliveries 3,550 CFM, which is an average airflow. The speed of the blades and the brightness of the LEDs are adjustable with a universal handheld remote. Moreover, the fan operates quietly.
HUNTER 59420 Coral Bay is damp rated, which is perfect for porches, patios, sunrooms, or indoor use. The fan is not suitable for outdoor places without a roof. A 2in down-rod and a 3in down-rod are included. You can also purchase a 36in down-rod for an angled installation.
|HUNTER 59420 Coral Bay Specifications|
LED light bulbs; Universal handheld remote; Damp rating
HUNTER 59420 Coral Bay looks classic with plywood blades & LEDs encased in seeded glass.
Contemporary Design (Outdoor Ceiling Fan): Minka Aire F624-WHF Roto XL
- Flat white finish - Modern style
- Larger blades
- Four-speed wall control
- 6in down-rod included
- Wet Rated for outdoor use
- No light kit option
Minka Aire F624-WHF Roto XL is super large with three 62-inch blades. The whole fan has a flat white finish, which looks pretty sleek and beautiful, ideal for modern style. The large blades help deliver a bigger amount of airflow, from 2,600 to 5,800 CFM. You’ll have four options of speed on the wall control. There is no remote control, which is considered a drawback.
Minka Aire F624-WHF Roto XL is wet-rated, so you can be confident to install the fan outdoor, even in coastal areas with salt air. Besides, the fan comes with a 6in down-rod. However, this fan offers no light kit option. So you have to install a separate ceiling light.
|Minka Aire F624-WHF Roto XL Specifications|
2,599 - 5,774 CFM
Wall control; Wet rating
Minka Aire Roto XL is super large with 62-inch blades, suitable for a modern decor.
Premium (Outdoor Ceiling Fan): Matthews Donaire 316 Marine Grade
- Designed for Coastal & Oceanfront
- Gloss white finish
- Massive amount of airflow
- Quiet and smooth operation
- Beautiful and durable
- Higher price
Matthews Donaire is my pick for the premium choice. It operates quietly and smoothly, and creates an airflow up to over 6,000 CFM. This ceiling fan is not only ideal for outdoor places but also for rooms that need quietness like bedroom.
Matthews Donaire is rated as marine-grade with stainless steel and ABS construction - it is specially designed for coastal and oceanfront. The gloss white finish adds modern and luxury flavor to your decor. The fan looks beautiful, is pretty functional, and very durable.
Matthews Donaire can be down-rod mounted or wall mounted. It features a LED with a total lumen up to 725 lumens, which is bright enough to function as a ceiling light. The color temp is about 3,000K, which is yellow-white in color.
Nothing to complain about this fan, except for its higher price.
|Matthews Donaire 316 Marine Grade Specifications|
1,775 - 6,013
LED Light & Remote; Downrod Mount or Wall Mount
Matthews Donaire adds modern and luxury flavor to your decor, especially for coastal areas.
Palm Leaf Fan Blades (Outdoor Ceiling Fan): Honeywell 50510-01 Inland Breeze
- Beautiful, especially for tropical beaches
- Affordable & Easy to install
- Quiet reversible motor
- Built-in LED light
- 100% satisfaction guaranty
- Output airflow is not much
Nothing is as perfect as a ceiling fan with palm leaf blades near a tropical beach. That's why Honeywell Inland Breeze is popular. Moreover, the cost of the fan is pretty affordable - no reason to not like this fan.
Honeywell Inland Breeze is compatible with three types of mount, down-rod mount (4" down-rod included), angled mount, and close-mount. The motor is pretty quiet, and the built-in LED light is decent. Moreover, you’ll be backed by a 100% guaranty, so you can buy the fan with 100% confidence. However, there is a big drawback that the output airflow is not much.
|Honeywell 50510-01 Inland Breeze Specifications|
350-450 square feet
LED Light & Remote; Tri-mount compatible
Honeywell Inland Breeze features beautiful palm leaf blades, ideal for tropical beaches.
How To Choose The Best Outdoor Ceiling Fan For Salt Air In Coastal Areas?
When choosing an outdoor ceiling fan for salt air in coastal areas, here are something you may want to look for:
- Damp or wet resistance & Resistance to salt air: Since it’s coastal areas, the air is full of salt. If the fan is made of steel or metal that is not resistant to salt, your fan will get rusted soon. Moreover, you need the fan to be damp or wet rated in order to place it outside. Besides, a certification of UV-proofing is also a desired criterion.
- Powerful output airflow: The ceiling fan’s main purpose is not to create a direct cool airflow, but to circulate the air in the room. However, it still needs a high CFM to get the job done. An output of at least or above 3,000 CFM should be fine.
- Quiet performance: Not only powerful but the fan must also be quiet. An outdoor ceiling can be a bit squeaky; however, if you use it in your bedroom or reading room, it must totally quiet.
- The ability to run clockwise and counter-clockwise: In the winter, you’ll want to run the fan clockwise. In the summer, you’ll want to run the fan counter-clockwise.
- Built-in LED light: A ceiling fan can be a ceiling light. Your ceiling probably does not have enough space to install a ceiling fan and a separate ceiling light, so a ceiling fan can work as a ceiling light would be a perfect choice.
- Remote control or smartphone compatible: A traditional ceiling fan tends to come with a wall control. However, you can easily get a ceiling fan with remote control today; moreover, some ceiling can be connected with your virtual assistant or smartphone, for an even more convenient experience.
Which Brands Make The Best Outdoor Ceiling Fan For Salt Air In Coastal Areas?
When it comes to ceiling fans, Hunter is one of the most popular brands. They provide ceiling fans, ceiling lights, and related accessories like downrods, glass shades, controls, and remotes. Hunter is well-known for its classic design, which adds a vintage flavor to your decor. Moreover, their innovations are pretty remarkable, such as SureSpeed for a powerful air movement while staying quiet, WeatherMax to withstand salt air in coastal areas, SIMPLEconnect app to work with virtual assistants or for remote control via smartphones. With more than 100 years of experience, Hunter is a brand you can trust.
Honeywell is my picked brand for quality yet affordable ceiling fans. This is a pretty young company that focuses on online shopping, which is also the reason why its price is lower than other brands. Despite the lower price, the quality of Honeywell's ceiling fans is impressive. Besides ceiling fans, Honeywell also provides heating and cooling solutions, and home security solutions. All of Honeywell's products are backed with a 100% satisfaction guaranty, you can buy them with total confidence.
Matthews Fan Company
When you want a premium fan, Matthews is the to-go brand. They provide ceiling and wall fans, from vintage fans to modern fans and luxury fans. Fans of Matthews are well-known for their beautiful and stylish design in every smallest detail, moreover, they are also pretty functional - quiet and high-speed performance. The materials used to make the fans vary a lot, from wood to steel, bronze, and ABS.
What direction should my ceiling fan be in the summer?
It is widely recommended to run the ceiling counter-clockwise in summer to push the room air down, creating a cool airflow. A good ceiling fan can turn the room temp down a few degrees.
Should ceiling fan switch be up or down in summer?
You'll want the switch to be in the down position for the fan running in a counter-clockwise direction, pushing the air down in a column and making the room cooler.
Should ceiling fans be left on all the time?
I don’t recommend this. Turning on your fan when nobody home is a waste of energy and money.
Do outdoor ceiling fans for coastal areas use more electricity?
No. But they tend to cost higher than normal fans since the materials used to make the fans must be resistant to damp and salt air.
Do ceiling fans improve air quality?
No. Ceiling fans only move the air around the room, creating air circulation, providing fresh air to the room. The air won’t get rid of pollutants though.
For vintage decor, I recommend the HUNTER 59420 Coral Bay (No. 1 above). For modern decor, I recommend the Minka Aire F624-WHF Roto XL (No. 2 above). For luxury decor, I recommend the Matthews DA-WH-BB Donaire (No. 3 above). And the Honeywell Inland Breeze (No. 4 above) is a perfect choice at a reasonable price for an open place near a tropical beach.