Many people consider that sandy soil doesn’t keep nutrients as effectively as the silt and clay soil. We won’t deny it! However, that doesn’t mean having a sandy soil garden is a disadvantage thing.
According to The Montana State University Extension service, plant roots grow faster in sandy soil and this type of garden is also easy to work with.
If you know how to feed them, this garden is golden. Below are the 6 best fertilizers for sandy soil that we’d like you to look through:
Here are the best fertilizers for sandy soil you can buy in 2020:
- Best For Annuals And Perennials: Jobe’s Organics 9621 Fertilizer
- Best For Flowers: Jobe's Organics Rose & Flower Fertilizer Spikes
- Best For Vegetables: Dr. Earth Organic 5 Tomato Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer Poly Bag
- Best For Fast Growth: Jobe's Organics Compost Starter
- Best For Acid-loving Plants: Dr. Earth 703P Organic 4 Azalea/Camellia/Rhododendron Acid Fertilizer
- Best For Seed Germination: Liquid Kelp Organic Seaweed Extract 1 Gallon Fertilizer
|Best Fertilizer For Sandy Soil: Top 6 Picks|
Best For Annuals And Perennials
|Jobe’s Organics 9621 Fertilizer||Read Our Review|
Best For Flowers
|Jobe's Organics Rose & Flower Fertilizer Spikes||Read Our Review|
Best For Vegetables
|Dr. Earth Organic 5 Tomato Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer Poly Bag||Read Our Review|
Best For Fast Growth
|Jobe's Organics Compost Starter||Read Our Review|
Best For Acid-loving Plants
|Dr. Earth 703P Organic 4 Azalea/Camellia/Rhododendron Acid Fertilizer||Read Our Review|
Best For Seed Germination
|Liquid Kelp Organic Seaweed Extract 1 Gallon Fertilizer||Read Our Review|
Best For Annuals And Perennials: Jobe’s Organics 9621 Fertilizer
- Deliver quicker results - Contains jobe’s biozome
- No synthetic chemicals – organic certificated
- Safe to use for organic gardening – OMRI listed by USDA
- The smell is a little strong
Jobe’s Organics 9621 Fertilizer is organically certified for no harmful chemicals and even OMRI listed by USDA to be capably used for organic gardening.
This product provides you with three weight options: 1.5 pounds, 4 pounds, and 6 pounds, all of which deliver fertilizer analysis of 3-5-4. This ratio makes it perfect to use during the growing season, help resist drought, insects, and disease. Therefore, soil conditions are improved significantly.
Compared between two pots – one fertilized with this product and another isn’t. We found the first one produced a bunch of new leaves and bloom while the second was smaller and didn’t grow as many flowers as its counterpart.
The secret for such superior performance lies in the jobe’s biozome, an exclusive ingredient of most Jobe’s Organics fertilizers to aggressively break down the material, giving quicker results.
|Jobe’s Organics 9621 Fertilizer Specifications|
(3-5-4) 1.5-pound resealable bag, (3-5-4) 4-pound bag
When to Apply
At planting & every 8 weeks
Use 1 ½ tablespoon per 2-inch plant
Contains jobe’s biozome
Certified organic; OMRI listed
If your organic flower gardening demands more from the soil, the Jobe’s Organics 9621 Fertilizer is worth a try.
Best For Flowers: Jobe's Organics Rose & Flower Fertilizer Spikes
- Not deliver overpowering smell
- Prevent run-off, waste, and easy to use – manufactured in the form of spikes
- Efficient – each spike works for a very long time
- Help flowers grow faster and more healthily - Contains Jobe Biozome
- Might attraction pets to find and dig them
- A bit pricey
We highly recommend the Jobe's Organics Rose & Flower Fertilizer Spikes for people who wish to give their little flowering shrubs, roses, or fruit plants a healthy boost with minimal work.
The biggest selling point of this product is it’s manufactured in the form of spikes, which hugely prevents those frustrating issues like run-off or waste to hence give no mess at all. In each waterproof resealable package, there contain 10 spikes with a fertilizer analysis of 3-5-3.
And, each spike prolongs its effects a very long time. For small plants and shrubs, a bag of 10-spike fertilizer is enough for all-year-round.
Using it during the growing stage of your plants helps deliver nourishment at the root, therefore, they’ll grow faster and more healthily.
|Jobe's Organics Rose & Flower Fertilizer Spikes Specifications|
(3-5-3) 10 spikes per waterproof resealable package
When to Apply
Early spring when new growth begins
6 sq ft coverage
Contains Jobe Biozome
Certified organic; OMRI listed
No mess and easy to use, the Jobe's Organics Rose & Flower Fertilizer Spikes are best for flowers.
Best For Vegetables: Dr. Earth Organic 5 Tomato Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer Poly Bag
- Reliable – made in the USA & Non-GMO Project, OMRI, CCOF, and Organic Transparency verified
- 100% organic and safe to use - contains no sewage sludge, chicken manure, or GMOs
- Release nutrients fast to improve plant performance optimally – have pro-biotic and 8 strains of Endo Mycorrhizae and Ecto
- Have bad smell once watering
Among an abundance of candidates for veggies, we found the Dr. Earth Organic Fertilizer Poly Bag was the most outstanding.
It is made from 100% natural and organic ingredients that contain no sewage sludge, chicken manure, or GMOs.
The ingredients contain pro-biotic and 8 strains of Endo Mycorrhizae and Ecto, which are known for decent benefits in releasing nutrients quickly, increasing plant performance, enhancing nutrient availability, and contributing to drought tolerance.
While eliminating the demands for chemical fertilizers when utilized as directed, it delivers optimum degrees of vital plant nutrients, boosting them to grow more healthily and tastily.
Each pack weighs 4 pounds which is enough for several months of feeding.
|Dr. Earth Organic 5 Tomato Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer Poly Bag Specifications|
When to Apply
during the initial planting of seeds, transplanting, and on a regular basis as a top dressing or compost tea.
60 square feet.
100-Percent organic formula
Eight select strains of Ecto and Endo Mycorrhizae
Made in the USA and Verified by Non-GMO Project, OMRI, CCOF, and Organic Transparency, the Dr. Earth Organic Fertilizer Poly Bag is a reliable option to feed your vegetables.
Best For Fast Growth: Jobe's Organics Compost Starter
- Speed up the compositing progress – Jobe’s Biozome
- Convenient and easy to use – easy pour bag
- Attract flies
- Slightly expensive
For those gardeners who have been dreaming to exponentially expedite the breakdown of your compost piles, this is it.
It is a 100% organic compost starter receiving OMRI verification and organic certification by USDA. The highlight ingredient of Jobe’s Biozome keeps it stand out this time for fast organic material breakdown to hence speed up the composting progress hugely.
We do appreciate the brilliant packaging design of Jobe’s Organics because it’s very easy to open, use, and store with no need for transforming to another jar or bottle.
About the odor, it still has a slight smell but diminishes once mixed in.
|Jobe's Organics Compost Starter Specifications|
(4-4-2) 4-pound bag; Apply every 4 to 6 weeks
When to Apply
during the growing season
3.5 ft x3.5 feet
Easy pour bag
Made from 100% organic ingredients and containing Jobe’s Biozome, the Jobe's Organics Compost Starter is a great selection to jump-start your compost as well as speed up your plants’ growth.
Best For Acid-loving Plants: Dr. Earth 703P Organic 4 Azalea/Camellia/Rhododendron Acid Fertilizer
- Safe to pets and humans – 100% organic formula
- Deliver faster results – contain pro-biotic and eight select strains of endo mycorrhizae and Ecto
- Very strong poo smell
For citrus plants in containers, hydrangeas, or anything that needs a high acid soil, this fertilizer is perfect to maintain a low pH and add essential nutrients.
As made with an ultra-premium scientific formula, it gives perfect levels of multi-minerals, micronutrients, and other primary vital nutrients for plants. Meanwhile, the ingredients are still assumed to be 100% organic containing no chemicals, GMOs, or things like that.
The special edition of pro-biotic and 8 select strains of endo mycorrhizae and Ecto is wonderful to make a leap for your plants’ growth because of the quick releasing nutrients.
Besides, as made entirely of organic ingredients, this fertilizer is extremely safe for both humans and pets when used as directed.
|Dr. Earth 703P Organic 4 Azalea/Camellia/Rhododendron Acid Fertilizer Specifications|
When to Apply
every 2 to 4 weeks during the growing season
Feeding 80 one gallon plants or 16 five gallon plants
100-Percent organic formula
Contains pro-biotic and Eight select strains of Ecto and endo mycorrhizae
If you’re finding the best fertilizer for acid-loving plants, look no further.
Best For Seed Germination: Liquid Kelp Organic Seaweed Extract 1 Gallon Fertilizer
- 100% organic & human- and pet-safe – OMRI verified by USDA
- Stimulate root growth & relieve stress from harsh weather conditions – contain Ascophyllum Nodosum
- Efficient – each bottle can cover nearly 6,000 sq. ft.
- Attract lots of animals, like mice and flies
With the special ingredient including Ascophyllum Nodosum, the Liquid Kelp Organic Seaweed Extract 1 Gallon Fertilizer is a shining contender for seed germination.
While relieving stressors in plants during harsh weather conditions – like drought, wind, and heat, it is perfect to stimulate root growth, mineral uptake, and boost plants to get ready for the blooming stage.
Like other counterparts, it is OMRI listed by USDA and compliant for use in an organic system.
You can use it alone or mix it with other fertilizers. Our recommendation is to combine with high-quality Liquid Fish fertilizer for the best results.
|Liquid Kelp Organic Seaweed Extract 1 Gallon Fertilizer Specifications|
When to Apply
during the soaking stage
approximately 6000 square feet
verified by OMRI listings
Made from the finest seaweed plant Ascophyllum Nodosum
Though we keep testing the latest and greatest on the market, we still haven’t yet to find a fertilizer for seed germination that can compete with the Liquid Kelp Organic Seaweed Extract 1 Gallon Fertilizer.
How To Choose The Best Fertilizers For Sandy Soil?
Type Of Fertilizer
- As stated above, sandy soil can’t keep water and nutrients as efficiently as the silt and clay soil because its sand particles create large spaces for water to quickly drain away.
- To avoid this, you need a suitable fertilizer that can permanently increase soil CEC while providing extra nutrients, helping plants grow healthily.
- Between organic and chemical fertilizers, the only organic meets such requirements.
- As made from all-natural ingredients with properties of being slower-acting and gentler than the chemical fertilizer, it not only delivers necessary nutrients to plant growth but also never causes harm to them if fed too much.
- Not to say that organic fertilizers can improve soil nutrient content and structure over time.
Which Type Of Plants To Fertilize
- Remember, each type of plant has specific nutrient needs to grow healthily, which requires a different kind of fertilizer to feed.
- As you can see in our reviews, we’ve categorized the top-rated contenders for different plant types, from annuals and perennials to flowers, vegetables, and acid-loving plants. To make sure choosing the right fertilizer for your plants, pay attention to its analysis.
Besides, there are some particular ingredients providing specific benefits to the plant’s growth, such as helping them grow faster or boots seed germination.
If that’s also what you are looking for, here is a quick guide:
- For faster plant growth, choose an organic fertilizer containing more nitrogen.
- For seed germination enhancing, look for products with Ascophyllum Nodosum or a 1-2-1 N-P-K ratio on the fertilizer label.
Which Brands Make The Best Fertilizers For Sandy Soil?
- This is currently a well-known brand across North America for discount stores, hardware, garden, and home improvement. But what makes it as reputable as the current is the original plant spikes and fertilizer with the signature Biozome ingredient.
Dr. Earth Organics
- Another renowned brand is Dr. Earth Organics with over 28 year’s expertise in manufacturing organic fertilizers and their products are 100% hand-crafted from all-natural ingredients. Therefore, they deliver huge, fast impacts to plants with no harm.
- This brand is quite famous on Amazon, known for its quality natural plant food with magical benefits in the plant growth while helping them prevent many soil issues. Moreover, the price is very affordable.
How do you fertilize tomatoes and peppers?
Tomatoes and peppers are two picky plants which require a bit more complicated fertilizing process. To get the best results as well as prevent any pity soil issues from improper fertilizing, you should read the instruction first and follow it strictly.
Besides, keep in mind these three tips:
- When sprinkling the fertilizer, begin nearly 6 inches from the plant’s base
- Water thoroughly after fertilizing
- During the growing season, feed them monthly
How often do you put fertilizer on tomatoes? When should I put fertilizer in my tomato/pepper garden?
Once planted them in your garden, feed them immediately. Then, during the growing season, feed them every month. Until they set fruit, reduce the frequency down to 1-2 weeks/time.
Are coffee grounds good fertilizer for tomatoes and peppers?
Yes, they are.
Coffee grounds are considered a wonderful organic fertilizer that deters some harmful pests and slugs in the garden whereas they attract earthworms.
Can too much fertilizer hurt plants?
Yes, it can.
Too much fertilizer causes the soil to be overly high of a salt concentration, leading to “indigestion” in the plant’s root system.
With the many different types of fertilizers on the market, it can be hard to know which works best in your garden. We hope that this review has answered some of your questions and helped guide you toward the best fertilizer for sandy soil.
Thanks for reading.