Only when you give your garden enough attention, care, and a ton of heavy-duty jobs can it be as good as expected. Get rid of this heavy labor with the best tiller for breaking new ground!
Here are the best tillers for breaking new ground you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall: YARDMAX YT4565 Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller
- Most Compact: Earthquake Victory 29702 CRT Kohler 196CC Rear Tine Tiller
- Most Maneuverable: Champion Power Equipment 100380Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller
- Easiest To Start: Husqvarna TR317C Rear-Tine Tiller
- Best Overall: Schiller Grounds Care Mantis 7940 Tiller Cultivator Powered by Honda
- Easy Start: Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SFTT142 Front Tine Tiller
|Best Tiller For Breaking New Ground: Top 6 Picks|
|YARDMAX YT4565 Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller||Read Our Review|
|Earthquake Victory 29702 CRT Kohler 196CC Rear Tine Tiller||Read Our Review|
|Champion Power Equipment 100380Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller||Read Our Review|
Easiest To Startl
|Husqvarna TR317C Rear-Tine Tiller||Read Our Review|
|Schiller Grounds Care Mantis 7940 Tiller Cultivator Powered by Honda||Read Our Review|
|Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SFTT142 Front Tine Tiller||Read Our Review|
Best Overall: YARDMAX YT4565 Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller
- Seamlessly cultivate any types of soil
- Easy to use
- Allow gardeners to stand and steer from both sides of the tiller
- Powerful enough to cover more ground
- A bit difficult to handle and maneuver
Powered by 208cc 9.5 Torque Briggs & Stratton engine for performance & reliability, the YARDMAX 208cc Dual Rotating Rear-Tine Tiller excels at breaking up the uncultivated ground, sod and even clay with petit hidden roots.
This machine comes with 13" self-sharpening tines &true dual rotation in its rear part and heavy-duty chain gear transmission allowing for reverse & forward speeds, which ensures impressive results in even the hardest ground.
What matters is the fact that this tiller weighing 238 pounds making it a bit difficult for female gardeners to handle and maneuver.
Briggs & Stratton engine, Recoil Start
9.5 Torque (ft-lbs, gross)
2-Year Residential; 90-Day Commercial
Single-hand operation, improved balance & handling, 13" self-sharpening tines,7 depth adjustment, true dual-rotation, 13" pneumatic wheels with AG tread tires, adjustable serrated rear shield & side shield
The YARDMAX YT4565 Dual Rotating Rear-Tine Tiller delivers an unmatched solution for solid ground breaking or garden preparation in all types of soil without costing you much.
Most Compact: Earthquake Victory 29702 CRT Kohler 196CC Rear Tine Tiller
- Effortlessly work through sod
- Maneuverable and stable in the rows
- Better flotation and traction in tilled soil
- Full-sized power in a compact frame
- Cumbersome-to-adjust wheels
What makes Earthquake Victory 29702 CRT Kohler 196CC Rear Tine Tiller of the best rear tillers available is just how effortless and intuitive it is to use.
With the ability to cut 16 inches in width and 10 inches in depth which is about average for the rear-tine tiller variety, this machine by Earthquake is meant for small rows and raised veggie beds as well as any small-sized areas close to your property.
What makes it less appealing is its cumbersome-to-adjust hard plastic wheels. However, it is fantastic to put the tiller in its freewheel mode.
Cast iron, bronze gear drive transmission style, metal hub/rubber tire airless wheels, single-handed control, 3 height positions
Earthquake Victory 29702 CRT Kohler 196CC Rear Tine Tiller delivers full-sized power in such a compact frame making your chores much lighter.
Most Maneuverable: Champion Power Equipment 100380 Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller
- Efficient and reliable
- EPA certified & CARB compliant
- Built out of cast iron for many years of use
- Versatile and easy to maneuver
- Hard to work
This self-propelled tiller from Champion Power Equipment is perfect for those who don’t like to accomplish their gardening jobs with their muscles.
Running behind this tiller is an easy-to-adjust depth gauge that provides added balance in various tough soil conditions and allows you to work at a consistent depth.
And these four heavy-duty 13.8-inch hardened Steel tines can tackle the ground that has never been tilled with the least effort amount.
Though the Champion Power Equipment 100380 Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller is durably manufactured to work for many years to come, it is a bit effort-taking to push to go forward to start working with it.
2-year limited Warranty& FREE lifetime technical support
Convenient handle controls and counter-rotation tilling, 19-inch rear-tine tiller, 13-inch self-propelled agricultural tires, a heavy-duty cast-iron case, the cast iron, gear-driven transmission, dual-rotation tilling
How to complete your largest gardening &landscaping jobs with little effort? Go with the Champion Power Equipment 100380 Dual Rotating Rear Tine Tiller!
Easiest To Start: Husqvarna TR317C Rear-Tine Tiller
- Great for both weeding and tilling soil
- Wider design for quicker work
- Improved maneuverability and additional control
- Grip better and with added traction
- Powerful enough for heavy-duty jobs
- Wheels need realigning or airing out
We love the Husqvarna TR317C Rear-Tine Tiller for the perfect combo of all essential features immensely helping you get your soil ready for the upcoming garden planting.
This helpful garden tool possesses a sealed transmission system with a 6.5-in tilling depth & a 17-in tilling width to be able to tile even for more than 1 acre.
It comes with strong wheels and engineered tire treads delivering better traction and extra grip for applications on various surfaces including muddy & wet soil. However, you need to realign or air them out, which is a bit frustrating.
9.5 lb-ft gross torque
5 years consumer engine warranty & lifetime limited warranty on tiller tines
Counter-rotating rear tines, forward & reverse gears, easy-to-start engine for less start-up frustration, adjustable drag bar, engineered tire treads
Whether you are a nomad farmer who often does ridging, plowing, & cultivation or you just want a portable tiller for frequent uses, the Husqvarna TR317C Rear-Tine Tiller is a good investment.
Best Front-tine Gas Powered Tiller For Breaking New Ground
Best Overall: Schiller Grounds Care Mantis 7940 Tiller Cultivator
- Lightweight and easy to transport & store
- No need to mix gas & oil
- No extension cord hassle
- Built to be dependable & durable
- Spin the tines much faster than other models
- Required assembly before use
Next on our wish-list is the Schiller Grounds Care Mantis 7940 Tiller Cultivator.
While you need to assemble this machine before starting working given its convenience, power, and compact design & tilling width, there is nothing to complain.
Weighing only 24 pounds, this tiller is not only the lightest in our collection of the best tillers for breaking new ground but it is also easy to maneuver.
The maximum tilling depth of this tiller is 10 inches which works reasonably well in a small yard and flower beds. And the compact 9-in width helps it reach tight spaces around your property that bigger tillers cannot do.
9.5 lb-ft gross torque
5 years consumer engine warranty
Finger controlled throttle for infinite speed control and ease of operation, handy kickstand included for steady placement, compact, unique, curvy tines, folds for easy storage
Schiller Grounds Care Mantis 7940 Tiller Cultivator is the top pick in terms of affordability, smart design, and effective performance.
Easy Start: Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SFTT142 Front-Tine Tiller
- Quick and seamless change between till and transport mode
- EPA and CARB certified
- Durable & last longer than other models
- Small wheels
Last but not least, we highly recommend the Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SFTT142 Front-Tine Tiller. YES, it delivers less power than most products mentioned in our list, but those just wanting a light-duty tiller with all the essential features can make use of all its uses for efficiently taking on any garden challenges.
What’s a bit disappointing about this unit is these smaller yet less rugged wheels making a bit tougher to bring it around.
5.75 lb-ft gross torque
11, 16, or 21 inches
2 years consumer engine warranty
Adjustable 11″, 16″ & 21″ tilling width, manual recoil easy start fuel delivery system, gear drive system with poly-v belt system for longer life with self-sharpening forward rotating tines, and swing tail with drag stake
Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SFTT142 Front-Tine Tiller makes gardening chores an easier task.
How To Choose The Best Tiller For Breaking New Ground?
- A front-tine tiller or cultivator is meant for performance on small yards or raised garden beds while a rear-tine tiller helps you deal with heavy-duty jobs on a larger garden.
- Though both small and large tillers offer you specific benefits, going with a tiller fitted with your property size will save you much time and effort before, within, and even after the gardening seasons.
- Despite requiring an extension cord, tillers with electric engines are easier to start working, more convenient, and better for a small garden. And those with gas engines deliver more power and last much longer but need oil/gas mixture & more maintenance and come with a heftier price tag.
Who Makes The Best Tiller For Breaking New Ground?
- With such an ideal combination of performance and practicality, Yardmax helps gardeners get more “rows” for their dough. From power sweepers, power barrows, and snow removal to chipper shredders and tillers, this Illinois-based company produces the most reliable machines for not only the typical gardeners & homeowners but also professional contractors.
- Despite being in the industry for 4 years only, Yardmax has been striving to create world-class innovative devices coming at a budget-friendly price to advance the OPE industry.
- Part of the Ardisam company which has been in this industry since 1960, Earthquake has been producing the highest-quality groundbreaking power equipment for homeowner enjoying doing the outdoor jobs on their own. This Wisconsin-headquartered brand has maintained its small-scale business quality while putting all of their efforts into developing into a global brand.
- This world’s leader of outdoor power products has been manufacturing a much more formidable line of tillers on the market.
- The main benefit of this 330-year-old company is made-by-Honda motors making their products last decades.
Do I need a tiller?
If all you have to do is to till up a dirt lawn for grass seeding, just rent a tiller. But for avid gardeners who anticipate needing a tiller beyond this simple job, purchasing your own tiller might be better.
Is front-tine or rear-tine tiller better?
It depends on your specific requirements. Front-tine tillers are lighter-duty tools as they cannot cut into the ground as seamlessly as other rear-tine models. However, as front-tine tillers are easy to transport and maneuverable with less work needed, they are great for small space.
With tiller in the machine back, rear-tine units which come with metal prongs can help homeowners break up deeper soil and offer more handle for even the toughest dirt.
Can you till rocky soil?
Yes, you can. But expect to spend several days removing the obvious large rocky soil, depending on the soil amount needing amending.
How do you level the ground with a tiller?
- Step 1: Clear your soil
- Step 2: Choose the perfect depth that you need and start at the grade top.
- Step 3: Turn on your tiller, engage the tiller tines, and push your machine forward into the ground. Make a few parallel passes to the first once you have reached the yard’s end.
- Step 4: Shovel the big clumps of soil that has been broken up into a wheelbarrow.
- Step 5: Use a rake to level the ground
- Step 6: Water slightly
How to make it much easier to cultivate the garden? Let a goodtiller for breaking new ground help you!