Growing vegetables in containers can bring a lot of benefits. It doesn't come with the hassle of root issues and concerns about pollutants; especially you can control weeds better. However, the best soil for vegetable garden in raised bed is the foundation of a healthy garden.
Below are our top picks for the best soil for vegetable garden in raised bed:
Here are the best soil for vegetable garden in raised bed you can buy in 2021:
- Best Overall: Burpee soil
- Best For Fast Root Development: FoxFarm Ocean Forest Potting Soil
- The Best For Warm Weather: Organic Plant Magic Soil
- Best For Weed Control: Miracle-Gro Raised Bed Soil
- Light Textured: Micracle-Gro Expand'n Gro soil
- Best For Sturdy Growth: Black Gold SUGRBG 16QT soil
|Best Soil For Vegetable Garden In Raised Bed: Top 6 Picks|
|Burpee soil||Read Our Review|
Best For Fast Root Development
|FoxFarm Ocean Forest Potting Soil||Read Our Review|
The Best For Warm Weather
|Organic Plant Magic Soil||Read Our Review|
Best For Weed Control
|Miracle-Gro Raised Bed Soil||Read Our Review|
|Micracle-Gro Expand'n Gro soil||Read Our Review|
Best For Sturdy Growth
|Black Gold SUGRBG 16QT soil||Read Our Review|
Best Overall: Burpee soil
- Instant feeding
- Environmentally safe
- Useful for seedlings and indoor houseplants
- Good water retention
- Takes long to absorb water
The price of the Burpee is not low. So, why should you buy this product?
Let us show you the reasons why you will get what you pay for:
First, this soil is enriched with fertilizer to grow different kinds of plants: from healthy vegetables and herbs to beautiful flowers without needing to use harmful pesticides.
With Burpee, gardening every single day is in the past. This soil features a slow-release plant food, which will nourish your plants throughout the growing season.
This kind of plant food is encased in a protective coating, which will slowly release nutrients to feed your plants at frequent intervals. Therefore, there is no need to feed your plants for up to 3 months.
|Burpee soil Specifications|
All container sizes
Feeds up to
Slow-release plant food
Burpee is an ideal choice for people who don't have much time for gardening.
Best For Fast Root Development: FoxFarm Ocean Forest Potting Soil
- Good aeration
- Easy to use
- A bit hot for seedlings
The development of roots plays a vital role in the overall growth of your plants. And FoxFarm can provide your plants' root with a perfect environment of growth.
According to most gardeners, the ideal pH level for growing vegetables is 6.0-6.8, which provides a slightly acidic level. This FoxFarm soil has a pH level of 6.3-6.8, which is suitable to grow any kind of vegetables. This pH range is optimized for fertilizer uptake, creating a perfect environment for rooting and growing actively.
Want to know the best part?
This soil includes worm castings, which is known as the multivitamins for plants - the most potent manure because it has a high level of nutrients. Worm castings contain good bacteria, supporting plant growth effectively, especially, the development of leafy foliage and root. What's more, they can make contribution to protect your vegetables from different diseases and pets for a long time.
|FoxFarm Ocean Forest Potting Soil Specifications|
Earthworm castings and bat guano, forest humus, sandy loam, and sphagnum peat moss
All container sizes
Feeds up to
At least 2 weeks
Ideal pH level
FoxFarm Ocean Forest Potting Soil works best for growing root fast.
The Best For Warm Weather: Organic Plant Magic Soil
- Easy to carry
- Fast and lush to grow
- If you follow the instructions on the label, adding 3 gallons of water into the soil, it will cause a mess.
How is the weather in your place now?
Is it warm without rain?
This kind of weather is unfavorable to your plants because they will require a higher amount of nutrients and water. You can consider Organic Plant Magic, which is the best soil for warm weather.
This soil contains coconut coir, which is one of the most effective growing contents for moisture and water retention because of absorbing up to 10x the weight in water. Moreover, the majority of garden pets hate coconut coir, so this is a great way to protect your plants.
Furthermore, this is also a worthy investment (a 2-pound bag). When adding water, the soil will expand to 7 times its size.
Unlike chemical-based soils, this compressed soil is organic, which is healthy for your plants, pet-friendly, and safe for use around humans.
|Organic Plant Magic Soil Specifications|
Coconut coir, worm castings & beneficial bacteria
All container size
Feeds up to
Expanding to 7 times the size
Organic Plant Magic works well in warm weather without rain to retain water.
Best For Weed Control: Miracle-Gro Raised Bed Soil
- Possible to resist diseases and insects
- Not suitable for flower beds
Although a raised bed vegetable garden can bring a lot of benefits like overcoming poor soil to offer maximum yields of food crops in a small container, it can't prevent the development of weed seeds completely.
Thus, you should consider Miracle-Gro Raised bed soil, which works as an organic mulch to control weeds.
Its organic ingredients and certified mulch give you a significant advantage to control weeds. As you might know, mulch is one of the wonderful weed suppressants because it prevents the development of weeds in the first place.
Please take a look at another outstanding feature of mulch:
It can retain moisture in the soil for growing healthy vegetables. In particular, the mulch is also a good solution for winter injury, mechanical injury and erosion.
|Miracle-Gro Raised Bed Soil Specifications|
Any container size
Feeds up to
100% organic formula
Miracle-Gro Raised Bed Soil is a great choice to manage weeds for your raised beds vegetable garden .
Light Textured: Micracle-Gro Expand'n Gro soil
- Better air-flow
- Possible to feed your vegetable in 6 months
- Mold problem (harmless but uncomfortable for some people)
Micracle-Gro Expand'n Gro is a worthy and long-term investment. In spite of only one bag of light-textured soil, it will grow to the amount of 3 bags when adding water. This product helps you save a lot of money.
Micracle-Gro is specially designed for growing plants in containers:
Compared to potting soil, the particles of this planting mix are lighter in weight and larger in size. Thus, it offers better aeration and drainage. In particular, this soil provides the roots of your vegetable with enough space to germinate and grow easier.
It has great water retention, holding moisture. This soil helps your vegetables grow stronger because it can extend thicker, deeper, and healthier roots. No matter how unpredictable the weather is, your vegetables can grow taller and healthier.
|Micracle-Gro Expand'n Gro soil Specifications|
Compressed coir and fertilizer
Feeds up to
Holding 50% more water
As I mentioned, Micracle-Gro is specially designed for raised beds because of the great water retention, aeration, and drainage.
Best For Sturdy Growth: Black Gold SUGRBG 16QT soil
- Flying around your containers sometimes
What do your vegetables need for sturdy growth?
A healthy root and water retention.
Black Gold contains two coarse: perlite and pumice. Mixing them into soil is useful for the aeration and water drainage of roots. The lightweight Perlite is not compressed, so it can provide permanent drainage. Meanwhile, both Perlite and pumice can create more spaces in potting mediums for the water and airflow.
Besides, this soil comes with earthworm castings, which can improve a plant's yield, keep both soil and your vegetables from diseases, and retain moisture in the soil.
|Black Gold SUGRBG 16QT soil Specifications|
Earthworm castings, perlite, pumice, and organic fertilizer
All container sizes
Feeds up to
All critical ingredients are useful for the sturdy growth of your vegetable.
How To Choose The Best Soil For Vegetable Garden In Raised Bed?
After finishing the review part, if you haven't made your decision, keep reading the following considerations:
Type Of Soil
- Check the label to know the type of soil. Usually, there are 4 types as follows:
Raised bed garden mix
- While topsoil includes dirt only, garden soil is the combination of topsoil and forestry products like wood. Meanwhile, the potting mix is the mixture of topsoil and garden soil, including various soil amendments such as perlite, humus, and peat moss. Finally, raised bed garden mix has many similar features to the potting mix, but their weights are different.
- Which one works best for your case?
- The topsoil is a great ingredient to make your soil mix at home.
- The garden soil, including dirt and forestry products, is also a perfect solution for making soil mix at home. In case you need a soil mix to use in your garden directly, pick up one with amendments such as perlite, humus, and peat moss.
- Compared to dense garden soil, the potting mix is lighter and fluffier, resulting in better water drainage. Thus, it's best to use a potting mix for growing your plants in containers both indoors and outdoors.
- You can use either potting mix or raised bed garden soil for raised garden beds. But, the latter works better because it is medium weight.
Various soil amendments usually offer enough essential nutrients for your plants. The price range of soil mixes varies based on the level of amendment and nutrient. It is because these ingredients affect the development speed of the plant, the yield, and water retention. Below are some primary nutrients:
- If you want to grow vegetables, you have to pay attention to the pH level of the soil mix.
- This feature dramatically affects the quality of your soil, impacting the plant growth and the ability to gather nutrients.
- The pH level is from 0 to 14. While pH level under 7 is acidic and pH level above 7 is alkaline. For healthy vegetables, the ideal pH level is 6.0 - 6.8.
- In case your soil mix has a low level of pH, you can adjust it by adding limestone.
Which Brands Make The Best Soil For Vegetable Garden In Raised Bed?
- Burpee company has operated since 1881. It is the first one, which provides yellow seed corn in the world. Moreover, the company has introduced an improved carrot - Long Orange and a new cabbage - Surehead. Recently, they have some innovations: "Snackpack" and seedless tomatoes.
- This brand also provides many specially formulated soil mixes and amendments. All of them can enhance the health of your plants.
- Since 1984, FoxFarm has produced the finest soil mixes and fertilizer as well as micro-brewed liquid plant foods.
- All FoxFarm formulas have been greenhouse tested to make sure consistency and quality. Besides, they also deliver supreme customer service.
Organic Plant Magic
- Although the Organic Plant Magic brand is only a family-owned company, it can offer an organic fertilizer solution, bringing high-performance results. They have a positive attitude to working, for example, fulfilling all customers' orders on time.
- Miracle-Go is a plant food brand made by Scotts Miracle-Gro company. It has a lot of different fertilizer mixes, and most of their products are formulated for acid-loving plants.
- Since 1985, Black Gold has been famous for potting soils and garden amendments everywhere. All their products are formulated in a professional way with high-quality ingredients to make sure a successful gardening process.
Can potting mix be used for vegetable gardens?
Yes. The potting mix is well-aerated and well-drained, especially, it has a close-to-neutral level of pH. In particular, this type of soil comes with organic matter such as bark chips, compost, and peat moss. All of them offer enough nutrients and a great pH balance for the development of your vegetables.
Do you need fertilizer to grow vegetables?
You should use fertilizer to grow vegetables. It provides enough essential nutrients for a healthy harvest.
Can you reuse potting soil for vegetable gardens?
The short answer is yes. But, you need to perk it up and replace some nutrients before reusing. Follow step by step below:
Remove your old plant matter, including roots, leaves, and twigs.
Fluff your old soil.
Add essential nutrients to the soil and mix them well.
Make room for your plants.
How long is potting soil good for?
The useful time of potting soil will depend on whether or not you use it currently. Without using, your potting soil can last around 6 months. After this time, the quality of the soil will decrease gradually. You should replace your soil every 1-2 years.
How often should you water vegetables?
Growing your vegetables in any kind of soil requires watering when it's dry to a depth of two inches. On hot days, you should water your vegetables every 4 days.
When growing a vegetable garden in raised beds, the soil is an important element. It helps the root develop better, improves aeration and drainage, and provides more nutrients. So which above product works best for you? Please let me know your idea by leaving a comment here.