Outage, storm, emergencies… how to stay comfortable and safe during these events? Yes, you certainly need the best portable generator for home backup.
Look no further. Check our top picks below.
Here are the best portable generators for home backup you can buy in 2024:
- Champion 4000-Watt DH Series Open Frame Inverter
- DuroMax XP4850EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator
- Westinghouse WGen5500 Portable Generator
- Champion 6250-Watt DH Series Open Frame Inverter with Quiet Technology
- All Power America APGG10000GL 10000 Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator
- DuroMax XP12000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator
|Top 6 Best Portable Generators For Home Backup
|Champion 4000-Watt DH Series Open Frame Inverter
|Read Our Review
|DuroMax XP4850EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator
|Read Our Review
|Westinghouse WGen5500 Portable Generator
|Read Our Review
|Champion 6250-Watt DH Series Open Frame Inverter with Quiet Technology
|Read Our Review
|All Power America APGG10000GL 10000 Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator
|Read Our Review
|DuroMax XP12000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator
|Read Our Review
Champion 4000-Watt DH Series Open Frame Inverter
- Plenty of power
- Wireless remote start
- Noise level is acceptable
- The quick touch panel allows easy control
- Nice design
- You can’t use remote start for standby mode
Champion 4000-Watt is a digital hybrid inverter generator. Featuring a 224cc Champion engine. It is capable to create 4000 starting watts and 3500 running watts. At a 25% load, the machine can work up to 17 hours.
It also features a 0.6-quart oil capacity and low oil shut-off sensor. These safety features allow Champion to run reliably and durably. At 23 feet, it produces 64 dBA, a bit louder than the average conversation.
Champion 4000W comes with a quick touch panel to maximize users’ accessibility. The Economy Mode manages power consumption, fuel efficiency, and noise level. When it comes to design, I love the convenient foldaway easy-grip handle and never-flat tires.
When Champion 4000-Watt in standby mode, you can’t use a remote start, which is a big drawback to many people.
|Champion 4000-Watt DH Series Open Frame Inverter Specifications
Champion 4000-Watt DH Series Open Frame Inverter is a promising unit that brings quieter, lighter and better quality to users.
DuroMax XP4850EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator
- Cleaner burning
- Longer shelf life
- Rugged metal construction
- Little maintenance
- The folding handle is short
DuroMax XP4850EH offers plenty of power. It produces 4850 peak watts and 3850 watts. Lights, refrigerators, air conditioner or any high amperage power tools aren’t a big problem. The DuroMax 208cc OHV engine works at 69 dBA, quite noisy if you leave it close.
Thanks to MX2 Technology maximizes the power from every 120 V receptacle. There are 120V and 240V to choose from. The low oil shutoff is another highlight. It protects the generator when the oil level is low by shutting it off.
This unit is built with tough metal construction. It features 2 wheels and a foldable handle. However, the length of the handle is quite short so sometimes you have to bend down to move.
DuroMax XP4850EH is approved by EPA and CARB.
|DuroMax XP4850EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator Specifications
8.92 hours at 50%
DuroMax XP4850EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator is an absolute choice for those who value durability, flexibility and tough design.
Westinghouse WGen5500 Portable Generator
- Easy to start
- Easy to maintain
- Remote start works perfectly
- Plenty of power
- The gas shutoff is easy to access
- Quite heavy
What does Westinghouse WGen5500 have to offer? It comes with an easily identifiable yellow touch to make the most of the starting process. This unit is also very easy to maintain. It features automatic low oil shutoff and built-in fuel gauge to ease the annoyance of maintenance.
The Westinghouse also comes with a transfer switch, allowing you to utilize ready-power whenever you need it. The CFCI standard outlets also reduce fire hazards and electrical shock.
It is 6.6 gallons of the fuel tank can run up to 20 hours at 25% load. It is certainly a must-have item for emergencies. The 420cc Westinghouse 4-stroke OHV engine is made of durable cast iron sleeve, adding extra toughness.
This unit is quite heavy.
|Westinghouse WGen5500 Portable Generator Specifications
20 hours on 6.6 gallon
EPA and CARB Compliant
420cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine
Two GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter)
Westinghouse WGen5500 Portable Generator offers an ideal and affordable choice for safe use of portable power around the house.
Champion 6250-Watt DH Series Open Frame Inverter with Quiet Technology
- Easy to start
- Powerful engine
- Wide wheels for easy transport
- The recoil pull start is not friendly to left-handed users.
If you prefer a slightly more powerful generator, Champion 6250-Watt is a great option. This hybrid open-frame generator offers 50% less noise operation and 20% lighter weight compared to other units with the same price and features.
At 23 feet, the noise level is around 69 dBA, as noisy as a vacuum cleaner. The 301cc engine can run up to 13.5 hours at 25 loads, giving you plenty of power. This unit comes with Champion's signature features such as Quick Tough Panel, Economy Mode.
The wide, never-flat wheels can handle wet, mushy ground with ease. The only problem is probably the recoil pull start. It locates in a place where left-handed users find it hard to reach.
|Champion 6250-Watt DH Series Open Frame Inverter with Quiet Technology Specifications
12.5 hours run time on gasoline
Quick Drain Oil Tube
Champion 6250-Watt DH Series Open Frame Inverter with Quiet Technology is a powerful yet affordable choice for home backup.
All Power America APGG10000GL 10000 Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator
- Anti-corrosive coating
- Dual fuel
- Worth the money
- Easy to assemble
- The handle grip sleeves slide off the poles when you move the unit.
If those 6000W aren’t enough for you, let’s move to the 10000W one. All Power America APGG10000GL features a powerful 15HP 420cc OHV engine, producing 10000 peak watts and 8000 running watts. At 50% load, it can run for 11 hours straight.
You only need 15 minutes to unbox and assemble the machine. It is well-built with the open-frame design and heavy-duty tires. What’s more, All Power American has put a special coating on its model that allows the machine to resist corrosion. It is reasonably priced.
The electric start makes everything easier. It also comes with a maintenance-free battery.
You need to be careful with the handle grip sleeves. They tend to slide off the poles when you move the unit.
|All Power America APGG10000GL 10000 Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator Specifications
11 hrs @ 1/2 load
15 HP 420cc OHV air-cooled engine
All Power America APGG10000GL 10000 Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator is a heavy-duty unit to trust whenever power is lost during an outage.
DuroMax XP12000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator
- Heavy-duty metal frame
- Rugged and durable tires
- Lots of power
- Low running time
The most powerful option in the list is DuroMax XP12000EH. This dual-fuel generator features the DuroMax 457cc OHV engine that produces 12000 starting watts and 9500 running watts. It is easy to handle heavy-duty power tools and high voltage appliances.
The Idle Control helps to reduce oil usage and noise production. This unit produces 74 dBA at 23 feet, quite low compared to other smaller options. The heavy-duty open-frame design and rugged wheel kit are also a big plus.
Other features to name include low oil shutoff, power panel, and MX2 technology. This unit is approved by CARB and EPA. Compared to other similar units, this powerful beast offers a low running time. At 50% load, it lasts only 7.2 hours.
|DuroMax XP12000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator Specifications
7.2 hours at 50%
457cc OHV Duromax Engine.
DuroMax XP12000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator powers your tools and appliances with reliable performance, great fuel efficiency and surprising flexibility.
How To Choose The Best Portable Generators For Home Backup?
- If you don’t want to waste your money, choose a generator based on your power consumption. If you only want to power some lights, laptops, find or TV then a low power generator is enough. If your house is small and most appliances are low-powered, you just need a small portable 1 to 3 kW.
- However, if you want to power a large house or energy-consuming tools and appliances, you need a powerful generator to do the task.
- Who wants to hear the generator’s noise? The noise level is another important factor when shopping for a unit. You don’t want to bother your neighbors and worst the local authorities.
- Small portable generators often run at 57 to 59 dBA. However, generators with bigger capacity operate noisier. Some can even reach up to 78 dbA. Remember, 58 dBA is as loud as a normal conversation. Above 75 dBA, some people consider this annoying.
- Make sure you spend money wisely. Rugged construction is a ticket to durability. Go for anything that comes with metal construction. Rust resistance is absolutely a plus. Otherwise, High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) is great too.
- I also highly recommend any units that come with Economy Mode. Your fuel-efficient generator will save you a lot of money at the end of the day.
- Last but not least, your budget matters. The best generator’s price should not exceed your financial capacity. Finding an affordable generator with suitable size and competence is a must. Don’t chase pricy options when you can find similar units at a lower price.
Which Brands Make The Best Portable Generators For Home Backup?
- DuroMax is well-known for its powerful engine, eco-mode system, and reasonably-priced generators.
All Power America
- All Power America promises to bring generators with off-the-chart technology, sturdily built construction, and top customer service.
- When it comes to reliable power, Champion is a trusted power solution for emergencies, RV and heavy-duty uses.
- Since 1886, Westinghouse has provided a clean and safe power source for different purposes. Their generators are affordable, high-quality and well-built.
How do you hook up a portable generator to your house?
There are a few ways to make it work:
This is the cheapest way to hook up your generator. However, the downside appears when you use large generators. General extension cords can’t utilize the full power of bulky units.
What’s more, they tend to be time-consuming and quite potentially dangerous.
For mid-sized generators, you can use generator cords. Simply plug it into a 20 to 30 amp outlet on the unit and the other end into your household outlets.
The safest and most convenient option is to use power transfer systems. Most systems come with everything you need.
Do I need a permit to install a generator transfer switch?
Generally, you need an approved electrician to do the job for you. If you do it wrong, it is likely to cause unwanted damages. Plus, when you want to sell the house, having a legal, permit-issued installation will be in the buyer’s inspection list.
Is a generator interlock kit legal?
It depends on where you are. Most Interlock kits are accepted in USA markets. However, it should only be installed by a licensed electrician. That means if you, homeowner, aren’t am licensed electrician, you aren’t allowed to install the kit.
Can you plug a generator into a house outlet?
Short answer: no. Generators shouldn’t be plugged into a house outlet. It will improve the chance of overloading and overheating home wiring. This will eventually lead to a significant risk of fire.
How long can you run a generator continuously?
It depends on your standby generator. Typically, a generator shouldn’t exceed 500 hours of use. That means working continuously for 3 weeks.
Now you know how to set a proper standard for the best portable generator for home backup. It needs to fit your budget, power consumption, and noise preference. Products from Champion, Westinghouse, All Power America, DuroMax certainly satisfy your hunger for power