No one wants their yard full of pests and weaklings, do they? To make it strong and give it the best conditions for growing, mow it regularly with the best lawn mower for the money below!
Here are the best lawn mowers for the money you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall: American Lawn Mower Company 50514 Corded Electric Lawn Mower
- Best For Tall Grass: Greenworks Corded Electric Lawn Mower MO09B01
- Most Powerful: BLACK+DECKER MM2000 Corded Mower
- Mower & String Trimmer, & Edger Combo: BLACK+DECKER MTC220
- Best For Taller Grass: DEWALT DCMW220P2 2X20V Dw Lawn Mower
- Best For Small Yards: Sun Joe MJ401C
- Best Overall: Lawn-Boy Electric Start Self-Propel Mower 17734
- Best For Light Use: Craftsman M105 Gas-powered Push Lawn Mower
- Most Powerful: PowerSmart DB2322S Self-propelled Lawn Mower
|Top 9 Best Lawn Mowers For The Money|
|American Lawn Mower Company 50514 Corded Electric Lawn Mower|
Best For Tall Grass
|Greenworks Corded Electric Lawn Mower MO09B01|
|BLACK+DECKER MM2000 Corded Mower|
Mower & String Trimmer, & Edger Combo
Best For Taller Grass
|DEWALT DCMW220P2 2X20V Dw Lawn Mower|
Best For Small Yards
|Sun Joe MJ401C|
|Lawn-Boy Electric Start Self-Propel Mower 17734|
Best For Light Use
|Craftsman M105 Gas-powered Push Lawn Mower|
|PowerSmart DB2322S Self-propelled Lawn Mower|
Best Overall: American Lawn Mower Company 50514 Corded Electric Lawn Mower
- Lightweight and easy to operate
- No tools needed for assembly
- Compact and slim frame with folding handles for easy storage
- Powerful enough to cut all types of grasses
- Factory blades should be sharper
First on our list of the best lawn mower for the money is the American Lawn Mower Company 50514 Corded Electric Lawn Mower. Powered by an 11-Amp motor, this product can be charged and impressively give rise to a cordless model when mowing.
Giving up to 90% of efficiency, it can cut through almost every single grass type and take on all even terrains with much precision and grace. Though it can work on hilly and weedy or dense areas, not as effectively as on smooth terrains.
Another issue is the dull factory blade which makes the American Lawn Mower Company 50514 Corded Electric Lawn Mower not highly recommended for commercial use on enormous yards.
|American Lawn Mower Company 50514 Corded Electric Lawn Mower Specifications|
46 x 18.5 x 38 inches
5-position easy-change cutting height adjustment from 1" to 2.5"
2-in-1 rear discharge and mulching system
9.25-gallon capacity bag
7-in easy roll composite wheels
American Lawn Mower Company 50514 Corded Electric Lawn Mower helps homeowners with small lawns get a reliable uniform cut every time.
Best For Tall Grass: Greenworks Corded Electric Lawn Mower MO09B01
- Versatile and lightweight
- Smooth operation and less noise
- Easy plug, push-to-start, and go
- Optimal maneuverability
- Only 5 position height adjustment
The Greenworks Corded Electric Lawn Mower MO09B01 is a new-age running on a strong electric 9 Amp motor.
Though the deck offers only 5 different height levels - fewer than some other models reviewed here, this unit still possesses a terrific lawn cutting capability regardless of the grass height, topographical conditions, and the thatch presence.
Expect to adjust the height range from 5/8-inch to 2-5/8-inch to cater to your machine to your specific requirements.
The 6-inch front wheels and 7-inch rear wheel coupled with its overall weight of only 33.33lbs make it a breeze to maneuver around objects and get access to any tighter spaces.
|Greenworks Corded Electric Lawn Mower MO09B01 Specifications|
50.4 x 15.8 x 40.47 inches
5 position height adjustment (from 5/8-inch to 2-5/8-inch)
7-inch rear wheel and 6-inch front wheels
Greenworks Corded Electric Lawn Mower MO09B01 offers constant, dependable power for making higher grass area a neatly cut lawn.
Most Powerful: BLACK+DECKER MM2000 Corded Mower
- Lightweight & compact for ease of storage
- Deliver powerful performance
- Flexible and reliable
- No need to recharge
- Might be a bit tedious when dealing with the cord on every single pass
Does a model with great mobility and excellent ability to work on thicker grasses as well as flexibility for clipping disposal sound appealing? Then, the BLACK+DECKER MM2000 Corded Mower is exactly what you are looking for.
The 13-Amp motor can deliver enough power to tackle just about any surface. With that said, expect slower movement on huge areas with taller grasses since the 19-inch blade starts to slow and you might be noticing unevenly cut spots.
Furthermore, this flexible walk-behind push mower even caters for up to seven different position height adjustment from low 1.5 inches to high 4 inches, offering great results achieved on any surface.
However, some complaint about the trouble they have when dealing with the cord on any passes.
|BLACK+DECKER MM2000 Corded Mower Specifications|
34.9 x 16.8 x 21.9 inches
7 position height adjustment (from 1-1/2 to 4 inches)
Convenient carrying handle
13-gallon nylon grass collection bag
10" rear wheels
BLACK+DECKER MM2000 is a hard-working corded mower that can handle almost every single lawn.
Mower & String Trimmer, & Edger Combo: BLACK+DECKER MTC220
- Compact, lightweight, & convenient
- Easy to use and maneuver
- Retain the battery’s charges 5x longer than similar 18 volt NiCd batteries
- Easily convert from mower to trimmer to edger
- Ideal property size 750 ft²
- Ultimate versatile
- It is difficult and inconvenient to reach distant areas
Mowing grass on a small lawn with a lot of small inclines and hard-to-reach spots is now a breeze with the BLACK+DECKER 3-in-1 Lawn Mower, String Trimmer, and Edger.
With the charge time at 60% within 2.5 hours and the battery’s charge that can last 5x longer than any other 18V NiCd batteries, this machine by BLACK+DECKER is the fastest and strongest in its category. It will encourage homeowners to embark & finish the job much quicker with such a perfect cut received, without having to spend hours waiting for the batteries to be fully charged.
Though the compact size allows the BLACK+DECKER MTC220 to easily access hard-to-reach areas, the lack of an extension power cord might make it a bit frustrating to reach distant areas.
|BLACK+DECKER MTC220 Specifications|
15.2 x 40.5 x 7.4 inches
2 height adjustment options 1.6 & 2.4 inches
AFS automatic feed system
3 tools in 1
Adjustable height deck & trimmer
If you have properties with a small yard as large as 1,200 square feet, the BLACK+DECKER MTC220 is such a great string trimmer, lawn mower, and edger combo to buy.
Best For Taller Grass: DEWALT DCMW220P2 2X20V Dw Lawn Mower
- Easy transport and compact storage
- Impressively maneuver around all objects and vegetation types
- Simple assembly
- Impressive battery-operated power
- Compatible with DEWALT 20V MAX and 60V FLEXVOLT Battery Systems
- No anti-vibration mechanism
When it comes to the lawn mower with the best performance on taller grass having grown in your lawn, this 3-in-1 machine by DEWALT is hard to beat.
Some weeds need mulching, but others would prefer side discharge. The ability to select bagging or rear discharging makes this 3-in-1 tool a great addition to your lawn equipment collection
The powerful brushless motor and (2) high-capacity 20V FLEXVOLT batteries not only work simultaneously for producing high-power output but also increase torque when tackling more difficult overgrowth for nice cut regardless of the ground conditions as well as your lawn height.
If not for the lack of the anti-vibration mechanism, the DEWALT DCMW220P2 2X20V Dw Lawn Mower could be ranked first on our list of the best cordless battery-powered lawn mower.
|DEWALT DCMW220P2 2X20V Dw Lawn Mower Specifications|
48 x 22 x 20 inches
Single lever height adjustment ranging from 1.5 in. - 3.4 in.
Heavy-duty metal deck
Powerful brushless motor and (2) 20V MAX batteries
7-inch front wheels and 10-inch rear wheels
DEWALT DCMW220P2 2X20V Dw Lawn Mower is a remarkable garden tool for areas up to 1/4 acre covered with fast-growing grass with hard stems.
Best For Small Yards: Sun Joe MJ401C
- Have a rounded, space-age look
- Compact and lightweight
- Suitable for households with kids
- Able to reach tiny spots
- Might struggle with thick grass
Though not being excellent at struggling with thick grass as other units reviewed today, it packs plenty of exceptional features to love.
The Sun Joe MJ401C lawn mower is powered by the 28V 4Ah rechargeable lithium-ion battery, being able to be charged and work effectively as a cordless battery-powered lawn mower. Featuring no-frills operation and a 14-inch cutting deck to ensure better traction steep banks, this cordless lawn mower enables the power and strength of a gas-engine machine with the additional benefits of being eco-friendly.
What we love most about these blades is not only how effective they are in terms of maneuvering around tricky patches like spots around flower beds but also their sharpness making them great for close quarters cuttings and edges.
|Sun Joe MJ401C Specifications|
61.5 x 21 x 16.5 inches
3-position manual height adjustment from 1.18 in. to 2.52 in.
Detachable 10. 6-gal (40l) grass catcher
28V 4Ah rechargeable lithium-ion battery
Built-in push-button LED battery level indicator
25 minutes of whisper-quiet runtime
A hefty grass collection bag
A removable safety key
Light and swift, the Sun Joe MJ401C is specially designed for use on smaller yards.
Gas-Powered Lawn Mower
Best Overall: Lawn-Boy Electric Start Self-Propel Mower 17734
- Lightweight yet durable
- Easy to start and use
- Durable and reliable
- Quickly empty
- The engine should be on a larger size
Though not featuring the largest-sized engine for taming yards over a quarter-acre, the Lawn-Boy Electric Start Self-Propel Mower 17734 still builds on the heritage with user-friendly features combined with durability and exceptional cutting performance making it a good value for your money.
Operated by a gas engine but designed with an easy-to-use electric start function, this machine by Lawn-Boy can completely replace the pull-start method. All you have to do is to turn the key on the mower’s left side and the engine will purr to life right away to achieve strong traction across any challenging terrains.
Besides the 149cc Briggs & Stratton engine with 6.25 gross torque backed by one of the best warranties possible, what’s also great is its durable 21" steel deck, 2-Point Height-of-Cut System, and Tri-Cut cutting system for amazing cut quality.
|Lawn-Boy Electric Start Self-Propel Mower 17734 Specifications|
40.5 x 22.3 x 37.7 inches
149cc/ 6.5 ft.-lbs. Gross Torque
Height of Cut
6 positions (1.25" to 3.75")
Large bag capacity
3-in-1 discharge ability
3-Year Tru-Start Commitment
2-Point Height-of-Cut System
2-Year No Worry Warranty
Lawn-Boy Electric Start Self-Propel Mower 17734 takes the 'work' out of your yard work.
Best For Light Use: Craftsman M105 Gas-powered Push Lawn Mower
- Equipped with recoil and auto choke
- Easy to navigate
- Compact yet versatile
- Light enough for pushing comfortably
- Built to last for many years to come
- Not suitable for huge lawns
This M105 model by Craftsman features a 140cc OHV gas engine equipped with recoil and auto choke. That way, there is no need to deal with choke like what users of any other units at the same price range do. Just take advantage of the auto choke to pull and begin using.
The 21" steel deck delivers a powerful cut for any small to medium-sized lawns, the Zag Treaded tires measuring 8" in the back & 7" in the front offer better traction & maneuverability for a perfect job all the time.
The minor issue you might have with the Craftsman M105 Gas-powered Push Lawn Mower is the 140cc engine - the lowest level of the average-sized gas-engined mowers making it suitable for mowing small to medium-sized lawn only.
|Craftsman M105 Gas-powered Push Lawn Mower Specifications|
34.8 x 23.9 x 17.8 inches
Height of Cut
6 different height settings
Zag Treaded tires
Dual-lever adjustable cutting height
Craftsman M105 Gas-powered Push Lawn Mower is the greatest choice for small and light-duty jobs.
Most Powerful: PowerSmart DB2322S Self-propelled Lawn Mower
- Easy to maneuver on uneven & rough terrain
- Easy pull starting
- Super powerful
- Available in a compact package
This unit by PowerSmart has the most powerful engine of all the gas-engine machines we reviewed.
In addition to the 199cc engine, its 22-inch-wide cutting swath also helps mow grass faster. Being a rear-wheel drive mower, the DB2322S can easily move on thicker turf and more difficult ground, meaning that you can achieve a fast uniform cut without much effort.
Measuring 37 x 25 x 18 inches, the PowerSmart DB2322S Self-propelled Lawn Mower comes in a compact package but the trade-off is that it is a bit heavier than other gas-powered models on our list.
|PowerSmart DB2322S Self-propelled Lawn Mower Specifications|
37 x 25 x 18 inches
Height of Cut
5-position height adjustment from 1.2 to 3.5 in
3-in-1 bag, side discharge & mulching capability
11.5 -inch rear wheels
2-year limited warranty
PowerSmart DB2322S Self-propelled Lawn Mower is the go-to solution for any large and heavy applications.
How To Choose The Best Lawn Mowers For The Money?
Gas vs. Electric Lawn Mower
Electric lawn mowers
Zero emissions and environmentally friendly
Less maintenance needed
Lighter thus easier to maneuver
No gas required, thus more cost-effective
- Not great for long or thick grass
Gas Lawn Mower
Safer to use
Can cover way more distance
Require oil & gas kept in your shed/garage
Corded Electric vs Cordless Electric Lawn Mower
Endless run time
Need a cord plugged into a power source to operate
Should not be used in wet conditions
Much cleaner and safer
Easy to transport & storage
No more messing around with gas, spark plugs and pulling my arm off
Long charge time
Batteries need replacing
- Though there is a ton of lawn mower models available out there, not all of which are suited to the same scale and purpose. It means that it might be somehow tricky to get a good mower. How to find out the perfect machine for yourself? Your decision should vary mostly depending on your yard size.
- As an average home often owns a small or medium-sized yard in its front/back, for most homeowners, it’s not a bad idea to get a small lawn mower.
- Non-powered push lawn mowers are the smallest type that can be used for small yards or residential lawns while electric-operated push-mowers are suitable for larger residential lawns or properties with complex terrain.
Which Brands Make The Best Lawn Mowers For The Money?
- Greenworks was founded in 2007 to market first-class lithium-ion technology as well as outdoor power tools created by parent manufacturer Globe Tools Group - a British sole proprietorship established in 2002. This high-tech enterprise offers a wide variety of cordless and corded electric power tools to meet any homeowners’ requirements.
- This Maryland-headquartered manufacture has had up to 109 years’ experience in producing outdoor power tools, home improvement products, hardware, and accessories. Since their very first days as a small Baltimore-based machine shop, this American brand has steadfastly devoted their time to knowing more about customer needs as well as creating quality, ingenuity, and value. Whatever Black & Decker machines you choose, you will be impressed by their performance.
- Lawn-Boy has gained its reputation for its walk power mowers. For homeowners who are looking for an affordable back to basics yet reliable machine, their lineup which is built on the quality and craftsmanship is the top pick.
How much should I spend on a gas-powered lawn mower?
It’s not hard to find reliable gas-engine mowers falling in the price range from $250 to $399. Though the overall performance and ease of use might not be as high as the mowers in the premium tier, these budget-friendly models still can be really solid options.
What is the best time of year to buy a lawn mower?
To get the best deal possible, the best time to go lawn mower shopping is in late summer or early autumn when you can find some aggressive discounts offered by dealers who want to move their old-modeled merchandise out of the door.
How many years does a lawn mower last?
The lithium-ion batteries can be fully charged in as little as 20-30 minutes for providing ample power while the battery-operated cordless lawn mower itself can easily last for more than 5 years.
How many times can you sharpen a lawn mower blade?
It is recommended to sharpen the blades of your motorized lawn mowers every 20-25 hours. If it takes approximately 45 mins to finish mowing your lawn, then you should sharpen their blades every 26-33 mowing session.
What is considered high hours on a mower?
For some models, 500-750 hours is considered as high hours while others with 1,000 hours would be called a high miler. However, instead of all wearing out, your lawn mower will still go on and one if being well-maintained.
Effortless to use, fuss-free, and cost-effective, the best lawn mower for the money should be a good solution for your yard.