Find a big buffet under a dead patch of turf?
Don’t fret, we’ve got your back. Below are the best grub killers for a lawn that our experts had tested and side-by-side analyzed for over 3 years in more than twenty candidates in the market. They’re also well-categorized to make sure to fit most to your needs.
Without further ado, let’s get into it:
Here are the best grub killers for lawn you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall: Scotts GrubEx1
- Ready-To-Spray: BioAdvanced 700280B Complete Insect Killer for Soil & Turf
- Best For White Grubs: BioAdvanced 700740M 700740S 24-Hr Grub Control
- Best For Spider Grubs: BioAdvanced 700288B Complete Insect Killer
- Best For A Long-Lasting Result: Roundup for Lawns Bug Destroyer Granules
|Best Grub Killer For Lawn: Top 5 Picks|
|BioAdvanced 700280B Complete Insect Killer for Soil & Turf|
Best For White Grubs
|BioAdvanced 700740M 700740S 24-Hr Grub Control|
Best For Spider Grubs
|BioAdvanced 700288B Complete Insect Killer|
Best For A Long-Lasting Result
|Roundup for Lawns Bug Destroyer Granules|
Best Overall: Scotts GrubEx1
- High efficiency – kill 25% more grub and insect types than the original GrubEx
- Long-lasting effect – last up to 4 months
- Safe for bees
The Scotts GrubEx1 will be your try and true method to protect your lawn from vole damage over the winter.
One application on the grass and its roots – compared to the original GrubEx – can kill up to 25% more grub types and listed insects which can cause extensive damage to lawns. Furthermore, this effect lasts for 4 months.
The product is also reviewed to work effectively on those yards/lawns with a really bad grub problem. After applying it for 2-3 days, you’ll find a whole difference.
One last bonus is this product doesn’t cause harm to bees.
|Scotts GrubEx1 Specifications|
When to Apply
during spring or early summer
10,000 square feet
Kills 25 percent more grub types vs original GrubEx
Work as phenomenally well as advertised on killing grubs and insects within the shortest time, the Scotts GrubEx1 deserves to be the best overall grub killer for a lawn.
Ready-To-Spray: BioAdvanced 700280B Complete Insect Killer for Soil & Turf
- Kill grubs optimally – a two-way formula
- High efficiency – last up to 3 months and every 32 ounces can treat 5,000 square feet of coverage
- No chemical odors
- It took forever to dry
- The hose connector could be higher quality
BioAdvanced 700280B is the best ready-to-spray bug killer for yards!
It is made from two-way formula to control both soil insects (for up to 3 months) and surface insects (within 24 hours). This formula efficiently kills crickets, spider grubs, ticks, fleas, and more.
Very easy to use, no chemical odors and our plants don’t seem to be too stressed. The product promotes its effects super-fast, only after 2-4 days.
The price for this ready-to-spray grub killer is under $14 for 32 ounces – equivalent to 5,000 square feet of coverage - and one application lasts for several months. Therefore, it’s worth every single penny.
|BioAdvanced 700280B Complete Insect Killer for Soil & Turf Specifications|
When to Apply
during rain and new grass growth
Treats up to 5,334 SF
32 oz Ready-to-Spray treats up to 5,000 Sq Ft
Out of many ready-to-spray bug killers on the market, the BioAdvanced 700280B – with its superb grub killing performance with no chemical smell or stress on the plants – entirely stands out.
Best For White Grubs: BioAdvanced 700740M 700740S 24-Hr Grub Control
- Kill white grubs and other harmful insects within 24 hours - Excellent turf Rescue formula
- Easy to use
- Kill beneficial insects
Similar to other counterparts, the BioAdvanced 700740M 700740S works fast and effectively but on white grubs, sod webworms, Armyworms, chinch bugs, ants, and even raccoons.
They are advertised to work within 24 hours and our testers have endorsed that true fact.
One treatment watered-in and the grubs were gone. Raccoons and moles also find elsewhere to find foods, leaving a flush and green lawn.
We also find this bag of grub killer is very economic. Every 10 pounds cover around 5,000 square feet of area and you just need to re-apply every spring to maintain its effect.
|BioAdvanced 700740M 700740S 24-Hr Grub Control Specifications|
When to Apply
5, 000 Square feet
Excellent turf Rescue formula
What you really need is something to kill white grubs, not “prevent”, right? Well then, try this!
Best For Spider Grubs: BioAdvanced 700288B Complete Insect Killer
- Work efficiently and fast – a two-way formula
- No dust issues when spreading granules – they produce no dust at all
- Not friendly to pets and humans unless it’s dried completely
The operation principle of this grub killer is as same as the BioAdvanced 700280B – using two different pesticides to kill listed insects and bugs. But in this case, it’s, particularly for spider grubs and mosquitoes.
Take note that the product isn’t in the form of liquid or powder, but firm granules, meaning that they only go on the soil once you water them in or it rains.
The biggest selling point of this product is you don’t get any dust blowing up into your face or onto your clothes when spreading granules because it doesn’t produce dust at all.
|BioAdvanced 700288B Complete Insect Killer Specifications|
When to Apply
every two weeks during the height of the season
10,000 Sq Ft
Can be used as a home perimeter treatment
If you’re in research for the best spider grub killer for lawn, this is our recommendation.
Best For A Long-Lasting Result: Roundup for Lawns Bug Destroyer Granules
- Require less re-application – keep on killing bugs for 3 months after one application
- Effective – kill over 100 listed grubs
- Instant results – within 24 hours
- Not safe for kids and pets
For those gardeners who are looking for an effective way to kill grubs with little re-application required, try this.
Aside from the capability to kill over 100 listed grubs, such as cutworms, sod webworms, white grubs, ticks, fleas, spiders, and ants, it can keep on killing for three months.
Same as other counterparts here, it gives instant results after a day with no living pests to be seen. The dual-action formula is intended to kill grubs above and below the surface.
|Roundup for Lawns Bug Destroyer Granules Specifications|
When to Apply
all the time
2,500 sq ft
Won't harm lawns
Keeps on killing for up to 3 months
Kills 100+ listed insects
One application to keep on killing for 3 months, the Roundup for Lawns Bug Destroyer Granules is perfect for people who are in need of a long-lasting grub killer.
How To Choose The Best Grub Killers For Lawn?
Determine Grub Problems
- If you luckily detect grubs in the early stage before it goes to anything more serious, the easiest way to kill them is by using the ready-to-spray grub killers.
- They’re convenient and specifically made for slight grub problems.
- This liquid-formed insecticide is also dried out quickly, which is suitable for houses with pets and they usually play around in the lawn.
- Usually, it just takes one or two days to completely dry out to not cause harm to humans or pets. The odors are acceptable. Some models even don’t have a smell at all.
- Now with the bad grub problems, you’ll need something quick-acting, fast killing active. It’d be best if these grub killers have long-lasting results. However, take note of their probably bad smell and the fluid needs more days to dry out.
- Some heavy-duty products even chase off or kill useful insects so you should determine whether the one you choose has that issue or not before making a decision.
Types Of Grub
- Insecticides nowadays are improved to be more versatile. Most of them can kill a wide range of grub species, however, you still have to make sure the one you choose to cover all of the grubs existing in your lawn.
- Before choosing one, dig up several die turf samples at a depth of 2 inches to find out the total number of grub species and which are the majority.
- The most common grubs you might find are Japanese beetles and grub worms and don’t worry, most grub killers can handle them.
Sizes & Coverage Area
- The choice of size depends mostly on the size of your lawn.
- The bigger the lawn, the bigger the insecticide’s size. Besides, pay attention to the amount of area it can cover to ensure you don’t have to buy too many times.
- These two features are easily found on the product label.
Which Brands Make The Best Grub Killers For Lawn?
- Scotts is quite a well-known brand in the USA that is dedicated to insect controls and grub killers. This is the Best Choice of the brand on many e-commercial websites like Homedepot and Amazon due to the high efficiency, the less harmful performance of their products.
BioAdvanced® Science-Based Solutions
- Providing new ways to fertilize and protect lawns effectively from insects, pests, and weeds by combining the best-in-class, science-based solutions with innovative advancements and cutting-edge biology.
- Such science-based solutions are exploited from the expertise and knowledge of a global network of scientists, researchers, and more. BioAdvanced® Science-Based Solutions is completely outstanding.
- Roundup is originally one of the most renowned herbicide manufacturers in the USA, produced by Monsanto, and founded in 1976.
- In this realm, Roundup is like an OG with years of experience in developing, producing, and distributing a wide range of herbicides and grub killers.
What is the best product to kill grubs?
If there are high numbers of grubs found in the crop, garden, or lawn before May, the best products to kill them are trichlorfon and carbaryl.
These two insecticides are short-lived compounds that work as curative treatments to kill all life stages of grubs.
When should I treat my lawn for grubs?
Early spring or fall.
How to apply a grub killer?
The water around ¼ to ½ inch on the garden/lawn a day before spiking it to force grub to move higher in soil. On the day after, apply your grub killer.
What is the best way to get rid of grubs in my lawn?
The best to kill all grubs in a lawn should combine the perfect timing, the right grub killer product, and the proper application. The best period of time to apply curative pesticides is in early spring and fall, and before May.
Remember to water your lawn thoroughly one day before applying the grub killer.
The most effective curative pesticides we’d like to introduce to you are trichlorfon and carbaryl.
Does soapy water kill lawn grubs?
Yes, it does. But take note that this method is only workable for slight grub issues when there are just larvae on your lawn.
Using a mixture of 1-qt of water and 1 tsp liquid dish soap is the best homemade grub killer, preventing larvae from thriving to a buffet of your lawn.
Killing grubs is a hard task, especially for beginners, because there require a particular product and application method for different grub situations on the soil. And that needs you to thoroughly observe and understand the “health” and the “problems” of your lawn.
This review is here to help you find the best grub killer for lawn, depending on your specific needs.
We want you to have all the information you need to make the right choice to improve your lawn situation. That’s all for this post.