How do you make sure your indoor plants have enough light to grow? While some place the plants near a window to get natural sunlight, others choose to use grow lights.
If you opt to grow lights, you need to know that grown plants and growing plants have different lighting requirements.
Today, we will dig into the latter and show you how to find the best grow lights for seedlings.
Here are the best grow lights for seedlings you can buy in 2022:
- Best Overall (LED Lights): VOGEK LED Growing Light
- Best For Lettuce Seedlings (LED Lights): MARS HYDRO TS 1000W Led Grow Light
- Best For Tomato Seedlings (LED Lights): Monios-L T5 LED Grow Light
- Best Overall (Fluorescent Lights): Durolux T5 DL844
- Easy To Install - Fluorescent Lights (Fluorescent Lights): DuroLux T5 DL8048
- Best For Pepper Seedlings (Fluorescent Lights): iPower GLT5XX2
|6 Best Grow Lights For Seedlings|
|VOGEK LED Growing Light|
Best For Lettuce Seedlings
|MARS HYDRO TS 1000W Led Grow Light|
Best For Tomato Seedlings
|Monios-L T5 LED Grow Light|
|Durolux T5 DL844|
Easy To Install - Fluorescent Lights
|DuroLux T5 DL8048|
Best For Pepper Seedlings
Best Overall (LED Lights): VOGEK LED Growing Light
- Offer strong and uniform light intensity – include 144 LED beads
- Eco-friendly – removable bulbs
- Easy to control and customize - 10 brightness settings, 3 timer options, and 3 switch modes
- Extra convenience - an adjustable gooseneck & a strong clip
- A bit unstable when not clipped to something
The VOGEK LED Growing Light has everything you might need: great efficiency, easy to mount and use, long runtime, and a budget-friendly price point.
Along with that, it is created from 144 LED beads for the stronger and more uniform intensity of light, meaning for ultra-large lighting coverage and better results. Not to say that it’s eco-friendly because all the bulbs are replaceable so if one is broken, you don’t need to throw the entire light.
What we like the most is its control, including 10 brightness settings dimmable from 10% to 100%, along with 3 timer options and 3 switch modes.
For extra convenience, it’s added with an adjustable gooseneck to adjust the beam direction, and a strong clip so you can easily mount it on anywhere.
|VOGEK LED Growing Light Specifications|
380 up to 800 nm
3, 6, 12 hours
include 144 LED beads
10 brightness settings, 3 timer options, and 3 switch modes
an adjustable gooseneck & a strong clip
Designed to offer long runtime, ease of use, and great efficiency, all at an inexpensive price tag, the VOGEK LED Growing Light is our best overall performer.
Best For Lettuce Seedlings (LED Lights): MARS HYDRO TS 1000W Led Grow Light
- Ideal for lettuce seedlings - 16 hours of lighting/day & heat-dispersing aluminum material
- Infinitely close to natural sunlight - 660-665nm light spectrum
- Deliver 30% higher yield - latest SMD LED tech
- Not helpful directions
- Not for tight-budget people
Lettuce is one of the most difficult for indoor gardeners to grow because it’s sensitive to temperature.
It requires at least 10 hours of lighting daily during the seedling stage. After testing lots of candidates, we find the MARS HYDRO TS 1000W to be the best choice.
While offering a constant runtime of 16 hours/day, which meets the requirement as stated above, it reduces light loss to walls and aisles efficiently as well as increasing the intensity of light up to 20%.
That’s a big thank you to the heat-dispersing aluminum material.
Besides, the light spectrum of this LED grow light is infinitely close to natural sunlight, Red IR/3200-4200Knm/5200-6800Knm - 660-665nm.
Using the latest SMD LED tech, it’s also a perfect alternative for the single-ended 250W HPS and provides up to 30% higher yield. It, on the other hand, offers the highest PAR/LUMEN output of [email protected]".
|MARS HYDRO TS 1000W Led Grow Light Specifications|
22216lm – 22181lm
16 hours of lighting/day & heat-dispersing aluminum material
660-665nm light spectrum
latest SMD LED tech
For lettuce seedlings in the form of commercial setups or large rooms, the MARS HYDRO TS 1000W is unbeatable.
Best For Tomato Seedlings (LED Lights): Monios-L T5 LED Grow Light
- Ideal for tomato seedlings - offer the high intensity of light & give off little heat
- Reliable – backed by a 12-month money-back warranty
- Easy to install - no reconstructing or wiring needed & available in hanging or ceiling setup
- Eye-protection - 2900K color temperature
- No directions
- Flimsy reflectors
- Daisy chain wires are a bit short
For tomato seedlings, the Monios-L T5 is unbeatable. It is affordable and offers a high intensity of light while giving off little heat.
Furthermore, it is backed by a 12-month money-back warranty.
Don’t worry if you’re a beginner gardener because it’s easily installed on the ceiling or by hanging with no reconstructing or wiring needed.
The best part is that it’s eye-protective by offering 2900K color temperature and works well in many conditions. Such as greenhouses, hydroponic rooms, grow shelves, or grow tents.
|Monios-L T5 LED Grow Light Specifications|
45,000+ Rated Hours
offer the high intensity of light & give off little heat
backed by a 12-month money-back warranty
no reconstructing or wiring needed & available in hanging or ceiling setup
2900K color temperature
If you’re finding a perfect grow light for tomato seedlings with ease of installation, don’t hesitate to choose the Monios-L T5.
Best Overall (Fluorescent Lights): Durolux T5 DL844
- Reliable and safe - I-certified, UL/CUL compliant, & under a 5-year warranty
- Offer 30% more light output - 95% reflectivity German hammer-tone reflector
- Customizable & dimmable - two separately-functioned switches
- Wish the reflector was stronger
First and foremost, the Durolux T5 DL844 is Italy-made, rated for operating safely in wet conditions. It’s also I-certified, UL/CUL compliant, and backed by an industrial-leading 5-year warranty.
The package arrives with all the needed tools for installation.
Compared to other lighting systems, we find this option to offer 30% more light output, all thanks to the 95% reflectivity German hammer-tone reflector.
What we like the most is the two separately-functioned switches for dimming every two bulbs at a time. This gives you even more options to customize.
|Durolux T5 DL844 Specifications|
12 to 16 hours.
I-certified, UL/CUL compliant, & under a 5-year warranty
95% reflectivity German hammer-tone reflector
two separately-functioned switches
Italy-made, using German hammer-tone reflector, and backed by an industrial-leading 5-year warranty, what else to ask in the Durolux T5 DL844?
Easy To Install - Fluorescent Lights (Fluorescent Lights): DuroLux T5 DL8048
- Ease of assembly – includes all tools needed for assembly, good instructions, and simple construction
- Offer 30% higher of the light output amount of other systems – 40,000 lumens of brightness
The DuroLux T5 DL8048 is our top choice for beginners or low-tech people because it’s very easy to assemble while all tools needed for assembly are included in the box.
Like other DuroLux grow lights, this product is Italy-made and UL/CUL compliant to safely work in a wet environment. Plus, your purchase is backed by a 5-year warranty.
About functionality, it boasts two separate switches on the body, offers 40,000 lumens – nearly 30% higher than the light output amount of other systems. Another notable thing is you can turn on three fixtures by just one outlet.
|DuroLux T5 DL8048 Specifications|
about 12 hours per day
include all tools needed for assembly, good instructions, and simple construction
40,000 lumens of brightness
Seeking an easy-to-install grow light for seedlings? The DuroLux T5 DL8048 is your best bet.
Best For Pepper Seedlings (Fluorescent Lights): iPower GLT5XX2
- Ideal for pepper seedlings - 2000-lumen brightness & 14-16 hours/day
- Offer maximum coverage - one T5 bulb & wide reflector
- Harmless to eyes
- A bit flimsy
The setup of this grow light, combined with 2000-lumen brightness, heat-dispersing aluminum material, and a timer of 14-16 hours/day, is fantastic for pepper seedlings. You can adjust the lamp height if wanted.
Despite its construction, the light is very easy to assemble as it comes with everything needed for installation, meanwhile, no wiring required.
Rest assured that its glow isn't harmful to your eyes and its lighting technology is very energy-saving.
All-in-all, this option is best for a small indoor garden whereas still providing the maximum coverage for your peppers.
|iPower GLT5XX2 Specifications|
2000-lumen brightness & 14-16 hours/day
one T5 bulb & wide reflector
Looking for the best grow lights for pepper seedlings? The iPower GLT5XX2 might be what you’re after.
How To Choose The Best Grow Light For Seedlings?
There are many types of lights available on the market, but seedlings require a certain light spectrum, so not every type is suitable. Here are our recommendations that you can choose from:
- HID (high-intensity discharge): this type of bulb has reflective hoods to concentrate light in the needed place. They can produce different colors but are generally dependable and efficient.
- MH (metal halide): this type generates stronger blue light and emits a bluish-white light. It’s commonly used for seedlings, supporting lighting for non-blooming plants.
- LEC and CMH: these types provide full-spectrum lighting including blue and red light.
- Fluorescent: these lights generate strong blue lighting, providing the warmer wavelengths needed for seedlings. Besides, they are efficient and ideal for small areas.
- LED: this is one of the most efficient, cool-burning options available. It also produces full-spectrum lighting.
Seedlings and young plants need full-spectrum light to grow weed. This includes both red wavelengths and blue wavelengths. For example, red lighting is crucial to boost plants to flower and fruit.
In general, red light speeds up flowering and vegetable growth.
Meanwhile, blue light helps plant growth, suitable for seedlings and foliage plants. So, depending on the type of plants you’re growing, you should choose the right light spectrum.
Space of your grow
Different lights have different footprints, which indicates the area in which the entire plant gets the full lighting wavelength from the bulb. Therefore, you need to measure your growing space first, then when shopping for lights, remember to check the footprint of each product to make sure you get the right one.
Amount of light
You also need to determine how much light to use for your plants, which is related to the bulb size and number of bulbs to use.
Now that you have measured the growing space, keep in mind that each square foot requires 20-40 W. Next, multiply the area by 20 or 40 W and you will get the total amount of light needed for your plants.
For instance, if your garden measures 50 square feet, you will need 20x50=1000W.
Which Brands Make The Best Grow Light For Seedlings?
This is one of the best brands on the market. It offers products with high quality but at affordable prices.
If you want an expert in grow-lights, this is the brand for you. Its products are best-known for ease of use.
Founded in 2009, this is a leading brand in grow lights. It’s trusted by global customers for continuous improvement in technology to make better products.
Are LED lights good for growing seedlings?
Yes, they are. LEDs produce full-spectrum light for seedlings while allowing for easier temperature control.
How many hours a day should seedlings be under a grow light?
You should expose the seedlings under a grow light for 16 hours a day
What type of light is best for growing plants indoors?
There are several types of lights that can provide a suitable light spectrum for indoor growing plans, such as LED and fluorescent.
What color light is best for seedlings?
For the best growing like under the sunlight, indoor plants grow best under the full-spectrum light, including both red and blue light to replicate the natural sunlight.
How far should LED grow lights be from seedlings?
In general, LED grow lights should be mounted from 24 to 36 inches above the seedlings.
We hope that this post will greatly help you find the best grow lights for seedlings for your indoor garden. Good luck!