Garrett has been so far a favorite choice of many experienced hunters due to the top-notch quality of their products while the price can’t be more affordable. Above all, they always stand behind their products, under the most satisfying guarantee policies.
If you intend to invest the best Garrett metal detector whether to serve your hobby or improve the hunting results, here are the 6 highest-scoring options from our tests:
Here are the best garrett metal detectors you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall: Garrett ACE 300 Metal Detector
- Best For Silver & Gold: Garrett AT Pro 55 Year Anniversary Special Metal Detector
- Best For Beginner: Garrett Ace 200 Metal Detector
- Best For Coin: Garrett Ace 400
- Best For Beach: Garrett ACE 250 Metal Detector
- Best For Relic Hunting: Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector
|Top 6 Best Garrett Metal Detectors|
|Garrett ACE 300 Metal Detector|
Best For Silver & Gold
|Garrett AT Pro 55 Year Anniversary Special Metal Detector|
Best For Beginner
|Garrett Ace 200 Metal Detector|
Best For Coin
|Garrett Ace 400|
Best For Beach
|Garrett ACE 250 Metal Detector|
Best For Relic Hunting
|Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector|
Best Overall: Garrett ACE 300 Metal Detector
- High-quality and durable - ACE Environmental Coverup & submersible search coil
- Easy to use - intuition digital numeric display & various options
- High value – includes a headphone, a booklet, and a backpack
- Lack pf backlight
This Garrett metal detector combines ease of use and versatility in a way that is unparalleled. It highlights an ACE Environmental Coverup, Easy Stow headphones with volume control, and submersible search coil.
The machine, in general, is very sturdy and well-built with intuition digital numeric display for easy and quick changing settings. You’re allowed customizing the “Find”, too.
The machine has just enough options to make metal detecting a fun hobby, which we highly recommend for starters. With it, you can find all types of coins, jewelry, property stakes, and old toy cars.
Ah, it also comes with a backpack as well.
|Garrett ACE 300 Metal Detector Specifications|
22 x 11 x 6 inches
ACE Environmental Coverup
Designed with durability, affordability, and ease of use in mind, the Garrett ACE 300 Metal Detector stands out for its best overall performance.
Best For Silver & Gold: Garrett AT Pro 55 Year Anniversary Special Metal Detector
- Get more information about the buried targets - Pro Mode Audio, Standard Binary Audio Mode, and Tone Roll Audio
- Narrow down the search zone to eliminate iron trash and find more treasure - High-Res Iron Discrimination™
- The headphone is not waterproof
- A bit heavy
It’s no fun if your metal detectors keep detecting iron trash but little treasure. Therefore, on the occasion of its 55th anniversary, Garrett has launched this model, called AT Pro.
Making it distinctive from other counterparts at the same price ranges is the perfect combo of proportional (Pro) Audio Mode, Standard Binary Audio Mode, and Tone Roll Audio.
They allow you to “hear” and determine easily the depth, shape, and size of the buried target, as well as distinct two separate coins next to each other. By emitting variations in tones, you’ll also get more information about the targets to decide whether dig it up or leave it in the ground.
A notable thing is its High-Res Iron Discrimination™ that can be adjusted from 1 to 40 levels to limit junks and find more treasure, suitable for people who have the ambition to hunt silver and gold.
The metal detector itself is very durable and endurable because of its built-in waterproof housing and connectors that is submersible in up to 10’ water depth.
|Garrett AT Pro 55 Year Anniversary Special Metal Detector Specifications|
21.5 x 14.5 x 5.7 inches
Pro Mode Audio
High-Res Iron Discrimination
By giving ultimate control over all discrimination, but at a lower frequency, the Garrett AT Pro 55 Year Anniversary Special Metal Detector is perfect for hunting silver and gold.
Best For Beginner: Garrett Ace 200 Metal Detector
- Lightweight and easy to assemble/disassemble – weigh only 2.75 pounds & can be disassembled into 3 pieces
- Full of control and function - low battery indicator, sharp, responsive audio package, and numeric identification scale from 0-99
- Customizable - 4 sensitivity adjustments and 3 search modes
- No pinpoint function
The Garrett Ace 200 Metal Detector is more for kids because it’s very lightweight and easy to learn.
It weighs only 2.75 pounds, highlights a one-touch operation, and provides you with 4 sensitivity adjustments and 3 search modes. The package includes four AA batteries so you can use it right out of the box.
Despite the low price point, it still offers low battery indicator, sharp, responsive audio package, and numeric identification scale from 0-99 for help you narrow down the searching.
When not in use or want to travel along with it, you can disassemble the machine into 3 pieces.
|Garrett Ace 200 Metal Detector Specifications|
22 x 11 x 6 inches
Weighing 2.75 pounds
Disassembles into three pieces
Four Sensitivity adjustments
Three Search Modes
With simple construction and visual control panel, the Garrett Ace 200 Metal Detector is a good starter machine intended for the very beginner and for children.
Best For Coin: Garrett Ace 400
- Determine coins and their information phenomenally well - Coin Mode, Coin Depth Indicator, and expanded target ID legend
- Distinct between coins and trashes efficiently - Iron function
- Extra-convenient - electronic pinpointing along with 5 search modes and 8 depth adjustments
- More stable stem - cam locks
- Hard for kids to use - heavy
While the Garrett Ace 400 is designed to find most metals, it is more about detecting coins and jewelry. The reasons not just lie in the additional Coin Mode or the Coin Depth Indicator but also its expanded target ID legend including an indication of American coin denominations.
Unlike other metal detectors which are hard to tell the difference between coins and bottle caps, the Iron function of this machine is a big help to pick out a valid target that’s surrounded by trash.
A big plus of this version is the electronic pinpointing along with 5 search modes and 8 depth adjustments.
With this ideal combination, you can speed recovery as well as locate precisely the targets. We also appreciate the cam locks for the extra-stable stem.
|Garrett Ace 400 Specifications|
22 x 15 x 6 inches
Coin depth indicator
Expanded target ID legend
5 search modes + pinpoint
Enhanced iron resolution
Because of its functional Coin Mode, Coin Depth Indicator expanded target ID legend, and Iron Function, the Garrett Ace 400 is ideal for detecting coins. (There was a customer who claimed to find 100 coins within 2 days with this model)
Best For Beach: Garrett ACE 250 Metal Detector
- The waterproof – submersible search coil
- Resist to salty beach air – rugged and aggressive body construction
- Easy to use - one-touch operation, push-button controls, and lightweight design
- Wish the housing was waterproof
- No volume controls
- No headphone included
Made with a submersible search coil, the Garrett ACE 250 Metal Detector is perfect to hunt on the beach.
It’s also considered one of the most rugged, aggressive models for outdoor use in this realm.
It has many exciting features, such as the latest PROformance coils, adjustable depth and sensitivity settings, electronic pinpointing, and custom notch discrimination.
In combination with the one-touch operation, push-button controls, and lightweight design, it is great for both pros and beginners to find relics, jewelry, gold, and more. Above all, the price is very reasonable!
|Garrett ACE 250 Metal Detector Specifications|
11.1 x 22.1 x 5.1 inches
By putting an honest-to-goodness within the budget of nearly everyone, the Garrett ACE 250 Metal Detector is ideal for beach treasure hunters.
Best For Relic Hunting: Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector
- Comfortable and easy-to-use headphones – ear cushions & volume controls
- Provide high-end features at low price tag - depth of over 12 inches and multiple frequency options
- The provided headphones aren’t waterproof to be submerged
With features and depth adjustments similar to premium machines, the Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector is a fantastic entry-level option for relic hunting without flattening your wallet.
While the depth of over 12 inches and multiple frequency options are commonly provided in higher-end metal detectors, these two expensive features all included in this machine.
It also has Garrett AT Pro Iron Discrimination ranging from 0-40, which gives you better signals to find out buried targets when scanning the ground.
We have conducted some cool finds using this machine in the water and on land, some of which include silver rings, tokens, old lead toys, V-nickels, Indian head cents, and silver Barber coins.
|Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector Specifications|
22 x 11 x 5 inches
Depth of over 12 inches
Multiple frequency options
2Garrett AT Pro Iron Discrimination
We love the Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector for its high-end features at an approachable price tag. For relic hunting, this is unbeatable.
How To Choose The Best Garrett Metal Detectors?
Types Of Coils
- In the realm of Garrett metal detectors, there are four coil types – the spider, the double D, the elliptical, and the concentric circle.
Sturdier than the concentric coil
Less false signals
Double D coil
Work 70% better than elliptical and concentric circle coils in mineralized soils
have a fairly small electromagnetic field -> require more movements
hard to locate treasures that are near a wall
Good for gold buried in various fields
Hard to manipulate the pin pointer
Concentric circle coil
Good electromagnetic field
Unstable in highly mineralized soils
Metal Detecting Technology
At the current, Garrett applies either of two major metal detecting technologies into their products:
- VLF – Very Low Frequency
- PI – Pulse Technology
The biggest difference between them is PI features a single coil which emits more powerful magnetic pulse to work underwater efficiently or penetrate deeper into the ground.
The VLF doesn’t have that advanced performance, however, it can distinguish between junk and precious metals better. It has two coils embedded in a protective base and is commonly used by amateur hunters in precious metal prospecting, relic searches, and coil hunting.
Why is Garrett reliable?
- Garrett started as a metal detector seller and marketer in 1964, then begin to manufacture by themselves. By taking high-quality and low price as the first, they gained more and more loyal customers.
- What makes Garrett remain and develop their business in this toughly competitive market over 55 years is they always make sure their customers are the top priority.
- Besides, they are constantly developing technologies and improving the products’ performance and information to provide the most satisfactory products with highest services.
- This is clearly seen though the number of annual sales of Garrett as well as how their customer’s feedback or how they take care their customers if they have any trouble.
Which circuitry type is better?
Parallel circuitry! The reason is this type delivers more ease of switching on/off the individual electrical appliance while remaining constant and current devices based on the load.
How deep do most metal detectors go?
How can you tell if metal is underground?
By using a proper metal detector.
How much does a really good metal detector cost?
$150-$600, depending on the amount of additional features, brands, and accuracy.
Can you go metal detecting anywhere?
Not at all. When you detect metal in private property, it’s essential to get the owner’s permission first. Depending in where you’re about to go metal detecting, there might be some specific rules to follow and even exceptions to that rule.
The model of metal detector you choose will depend on the types of buried targets and positions you intend to detect. Just as important to consider which is the best Garrett metal detector to fit your budget. Almost every product we tested excelled in a great value or was a certain application.