Fruit trees require the right amount of nutrient to grow healthily and maintain the best fruit production year after year. Feed them with the best fertilizers for fruit trees below and your trees will be getting exactly what they need.
Here are the best fertilizers for fruit trees you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall: Jobe's Organics 09224 Fruit & Citrus Fertilizer
- Best For Mature Fruit Trees: Fox Farm Liquid Nutrient Trio Soil Formula
- Best Liquid Fertilizer: FoxFarm FX14002 Big Bloom Liquid Concentrate
- Best Slow-Release Fertilizer: Jobe's 100046754 1612 Fertilizer Spike
- Best For Transplanting: Schultz All-purpose Plant Food Plus
- Best For Mango & Avocado: Miracle-Gro 1048291 Shake 'n Feed Continuous-release Plant Food
|Top 6 Best Fertilizers For Fruit Trees|
|Jobe's Organics 09224 Fruit & Citrus Fertilizer||Read Our Review|
Best For Mature Fruit Trees
|Fox Farm Liquid Nutrient Trio Soil Formula||Read Our Review|
Best Liquid Fertilizer
|FoxFarm FX14002 Big Bloom Liquid Concentrate||Read Our Review|
Best Slow-Release Fertilizer
|Jobe's 100046754 1612 Fertilizer Spike||Read Our Review|
Best For Transplanting
|Schultz All-purpose Plant Food Plus||Read Our Review|
Best For Mango & Avocado
|Miracle-Gro 1048291 Shake 'n Feed Continuous-release Plant Food||Read Our Review|
Best Overall: Jobe's Organics 09224 Fruit & Citrus Fertilizer
- OMRI-listed for organic gardening by USDA
- Safe for the environment
- Can be used around pets and kids
- Help resist disease, insects, and drought during the growing season
- Bad smell
The Jobe’s Organics 09224 Fruit & Citrus Fertilizer is the fast-acting granular fertilizer for fruit and nut bearing trees; both new and established trees.
By using USDA-approved all-natural ingredients that ensure aggressive material breakdown, this product increases the nutrient uptake for faster massive benefits spotted on your plants’ healthiness.
The secret to 09224’s performance is the Jobe’s Biozome - a proprietary blend of Mycorrhizal fungi, microorganisms Archaea, and other beneficial bacteria specially formulated to help with fruit production. Moreover, since Jobe’s Biozome improves the long-term soil conditions, prevents the depletion of precious nutrients, and decreases the risk of drought, insects, and disease, you will see massive benefits for many seasons to come.
The minor issue we have with this product is its bad smell.
|Jobe's Organics 09224 Fruit & Citrus Fertilizer Specifications|
When to Apply
Apply every 4 or 8 weeks or as needed
Apple, avocado, peach, pear, plum, cherry, lemon, lime, citrus, fruit, and all nut trees
Promote root growth; improve nutrient absorption & soil quality;
help fruit & citrus trees resist disease, insects, and drought
1.5 pounds, 4 pounds, 6 pounds, 8 pounds, 16 pounds
Organic granular fertilizer
Jobe’s Organics 09224 Fruit & Citrus Fertilizer ensures long-term benefits and encourages your trees produce more abundant fruits without harming your gardens and our environment.
Best For Mature Fruit Trees: Fox Farm Liquid Nutrient Trio Soil Formula
- Ultra-potent, fast-acting, and high-phosphorus
- Ideal for all flowering and fruit-bearing plants
- Perfect for both hydroponics and conventional soil setups
- Easy to use
- 3 different bottles in one package
Next we have the Fox Farm Liquid Nutrient Trio Soil Formula, which is highly recommended for those looking for consistency in the way they farm their plants.
The coolest thing about this product by Fox Farm is that it comes with a pack of three 1-gallon bottles that should be used in sequence for luscious fruits all season long. Though some might find it a bit complicated to follow the feeding schedule to know exactly which bottle to use, it still perfectly works as an all-in-one solution.
Begin with Grow Big to provide the uptake of advanced nutrition to your plants. At the first sign of flowering or after the few first weeks into the growing season, switch to Tiger Bloom that is high in nitrogen and phosphorus for glorious flowering of all plant kinds. To deal with any root systems and optimize nutrient cycling, apply Big Bloom throughout all growing cycles.
|Fox Farm Liquid Nutrient Trio Soil Formula Specifications|
When to Apply
Apply them in sequence
All types of fruiting trees
Build blossom; heal root systems; produce more fruits; and improve soil environment
Big Bloom 0-0.5-0.7; Tiger Bloom 2-8-4; Grow Big 6-4-4
1-gallon Big Bloom, 1-gallon, 1-gallon Grow Big, 1 Twin Canaries Chart & 1 Pipette
A three-pack of favorite liquid fertilizers from FoxFarm
Fox Farm Liquid Nutrient Trio Soil Formula is specially formulated for mature, late-season fruiting trees.
Best Liquid Fertilizer: FoxFarm FX14002 Big Bloom Liquid Concentrate
- 100-percent natural and organic biologically alive formula
- Great medicine for sick plants or transplant fertilizer
- Safe for use around tender young plants
- Easy to apply
- Small size
This water-soluble plant food incorporates all-natural elements including castings (earthworm waste), guano (bat waste), Norwegian kelp, and a lot more high test organic ingredients so your trees can easily absorb a large amount of nutrients essential for their strong growth.
Norwegian kelp improves the uptake of nutrients and aids in better yields. Rock phosphate transfers energy to every single part of your plants for dramatic improvement in fruit flavors.
However, as this micro-brewed formula is available in 1-quart bottle, you have to use it sparingly.
|FoxFarm FX14002 Big Bloom Liquid Concentrate Specifications|
When to Apply
Use every time you water
All types of fruiting trees
Enhance flavor and fragrance of fruits
100-percent natural and organic biologically alive formula
FoxFarm FX14002 Big Bloom Liquid Concentrate enhances the flavor and fragrance of any kinds of fruiting trees.
Best Slow-Release Fertilizer: Jobe's 100046754 1612 Fertilizer Spike
- Pre-measured fertilizer spikes nourishes at the roots
- Easy to install
- Last all season long
- Safe to use
- Might kill the grass surrounding the tree
This time-release fertilizer by Jobe's for all kinds of fruit and citrus plants is the best pick for those who are tired of following manufacturer’s instruction to mix balanced fertilizer every day during the growing season.
Insert one of these spikes into the soil around each tree's drippings in the early spring when your trees start to grow and reapply in the late fall. Doing this means that all you have to do this season is to provide your greens with the suitable amount of water.
Jobe's 100046754 1612 Fertilizer Spike is potent enough to kill the grass surrounding your fruit trees.
|Jobe's 100046754 1612 Fertilizer Spike Specifications|
When to Apply
Early spring and late fall
All fruit and citrus trees
Provide the nutrients needed for delicious, robust fruit
(9-12-12) 5 spikes in traditional packaging, (8-11-11) 5 spikes in clear package, (8-11-11) 9 spikes, (9-12-12) 15 Spikes, (8-11-11) 160 spikes
5; 9; 15; and 160 spikes
Active ingredients: Nitrogen
Jobe's 100046754 1612 Fertilizer Spike provides your plants with all the nutrients required for tasty, robust fruits without any mixing hazards, stink smell, mess, and wasteful runoff.
Best For Transplanting: Schultz All-purpose Plant Food Plus
- Suitable for all indoor and outdoor plants
- Not burn even when used as directed in the hottest weather
- Easy-to-measure dropper
- Easy to apply and mix in water
- Packaging could be better
Regardless of your plant species, you can expect great results when using this all-purpose plant food from Schultz.
This fertilizer dissolves vital micronutrients & vital life-giving minerals and distributes them evenly to your trees, thus stimulating their healthy root formation & growth - the key to their long-term healthiness.
This super-concentrated product has the famous 7 drops 10-15-10 formula, where you have to add only 7 drops of this product per water quart to feed everything you grow and help them thrive.
The only downside that this product needs to fix is the disappointing packaging.
|Schultz All-purpose Plant Food Plus Specifications|
When to Apply
Just 7 drops of water every time you water
All indoor and outdoor plants
Encourage new growth
Famous 7 Drops formula
Schultz All-purpose Plant Food Plus encourages the seeds’ growth or boost the seedlings’ health while transplanting, rooting, or repotting.
Best For Mango & Avocado: Miracle-Gro 1048291 Shake 'n Feed Continuous-release Plant Food
- Contain added potassium, magnesium, sulfur and iron to improve common nutrient deficiencies
- Feed up to 3 months
- No mixing required
- Prevent overfeeding or burning when used as directed
- It might take a while to see positive results
Those don’t have neither much free time nor the know-how of mixing plant food should pick the Miracle-Gro 1048291. Attainable in a 4.5-lb container, this Shake 'n Feed Continuous-release plant food lasts for up to 3 months. ALso, it delivers necessary nutrients instantly and directly to new in-ground or existing avocado, citrus, and mango trees, which allows them to flourish.
Though it might take a while for these positive results to be seen, the Miracle-Gro 1048291 Shake 'n Feed Continuous-release Plant Food is worth your wait.
|Miracle-Gro 1048291 Shake 'n Feed Continuous-release Plant Food Specifications|
When to Apply
Citrus, avocado, and mango trees
Encourage new growth
Contain added potassium
Sulfur and iron
Miracle-Gro 1048291 Shake 'n Feed Continuous-release Plant Food does wonder for citrus, avocado, and mango trees.
How To Choose The Best Fertilizers For Fruit Trees?
- Liquid and granulated are the two major types of fertilizers for fruit trees. Effective yet easy-to-prepare, liquid fertilizers are highly recommended for most gardening applications thanks to their convenience. However, they tend to cost more than granulated fertilizers. Moreover, if you are in search of plant food that nourishes your trees for all season long without having to reapply, slow-release granulated organic fertilizer is a better choice.
- Most fruit tree fertilizers consist of a blend of NPK, referring to nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium. However, the NPK ratio printed on each fertilizer’s package indicates the nutrient percentage per pound of product, not the exact amount. N, P and K. For instance, if the NPK listed on the bag is 7-10-12, meaning 7% nitrogen, 10% phosphorous, and 12% potassium, then there is 0.07 pounds of actual nitrogen, 0.1 pounds of actual phosphorous, and 0.12 pounds of actual potassium for every pound of this fertilizer.
- The best fertilizer for fruit trees should contain a balanced ratio of these three ingredients. For example, 12-12-12 and 10-10-10 make the safest fertilizer to use on most fruit trees.
- Let’s take a closer look at these trace elements that help your fruit trees properly develop!
- Most fruit trees prefer organic fertilizer high in nitrogen that makes their leaves green which is essential for green growth, photosynthesis, and general growth. The best time to feed your trees with a high-nitrogen fertilizer is in early spring when the buds haven’t broken and only if they don’t grow satisfactorily. Note that too much nitrogen can burn the plants and encourage more leaf formation than fruit production.
- Phosphorus helps transfer energy to all tree parts for strong root and flower development. As this ingredient cannot spread through the plant ground fast, it should be included in all fruit tree fertilizer.
- Another essential ingredient in plant food is potassium which supports water regulation water inside and outside the tree’s cells.
Which Brands Make The Best Fertilizers For Fruit Trees?
- Knowing that only beautiful, healthy trees can create your yard’s spectacular look, this Texas-based company has been manufacturing and distributing more than 200 products of fertilizers and plant spikes to top garden & lawn retailers across North America. With 50 years’ experience in this industry, Jobe's Company delivers the highest-quality landscape edging, sunscreen fabrics, landscape fabrics, shade fabrics, tree care products, and fertilizers.
- Schultz is part of United Industries Corporation with over 70 years’ experience in the lawn and garden care and insect control markets. Its product line of grass seeds; plant food; and rich, productive soil mixtures are the perfect solution for growing spectacular, bountiful gardens.
FoxFarm Soil & Fertilizer Company
- This company established and developed in Humboldt County has been crafting the professional-grade soil mixes, micro-brewed liquid plant foods, and fertilizers since 1984. Whether you want to grow vegetables, flowers, or fruits, you can trust that FoxFarm Soil & Fertilizer Company products can bring success.
What is the best time to fertilize fruit trees?
The late winter and early spring, which are right before the growing season, are the best time to fertilize fruit trees. That’s when your plants can get all the extra nutrients needed for their growth. Apply a half-strength fertilizer for older, established fruit trees in the autumn.
How much fertilizer do fruit trees need?
1lb of actual nitrogen is the maximum amount to give your fruit tree per year.
Are coffee grounds good for fruit trees?
If the nitrogen level of your soil is already high, the growth of your fruit trees could be stunted by the extra boost from coffee grounds which are highly acidic.
What is the best fertilizer for apple trees?
Like other fruit trees, apple trees prefer an organic fertilizer which is high in nitrogen.
Are eggshells good for fruit trees?
Eggshells work as a good source of calcium and other minerals for a strong cellular structure development.
Fertilizing is one of the most important requirements of flavorful fruit production without blemishes. Feed your trees with one of the best fertilizers for fruit trees above, then you will your own freshly delicious fruits soon.