Early September to late November is the best time to fertilize a lawn. So that grass application for fall helps to reduce summer stress and store food for the winter as well as encourage root growth in the spring.
Therefore, proper lawn fertilizer can boost grass growth around the year.
Check out our top selections of the best fertilizer for grass in fall to help in achieving your goal of a perfect lawn.
Here are the best fertilizers for grass in fall you can buy in 2023:
- Best Overall: Scotts Turf Builder Triple Action
- Best For Thick Turf: Scotts Turf Builder Thick'R Lawn Sun and Shade
- Easy To Use: Advanced 16-4-8 Balanced NPK - Lawn Food Natural Liquid Fertilizer
- Best For Dark Green Color: Scotts Green Max Lawn Food
- Best For Weed Control: Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food for New Grass Plus Weed Preventer
- Best For Root Growth: Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food
|Best Fertilizer For Grass In Fall: Top 6 Picks|
|Scotts Turf Builder Triple Action||Read Our Review|
Best For Thick Turf
|Scotts Turf Builder Thick'R Lawn Sun and Shade||Read Our Review|
Easy To Use
|Advanced 16-4-8 Balanced NPK - Lawn Food Natural Liquid Fertilizer||Read Our Review|
Best For Dark Green Color
|Scotts Green Max Lawn Food||Read Our Review|
Best For Weed Control
|Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food for New Grass Plus Weed Preventer||Read Our Review|
Best For Root Growth
|Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food||Read Our Review|
Best Overall: Scotts Turf Builder Triple Action
- Easy to apply
- Enrich the soil environment
- Perfect for cool-season grass
- Fertilization on windy days is not recommended.
Scotts Turf Builder Triple Action has got the features that landscapers have been looking for. The focal point of this kind of fertilizer is a three-in-one formula or known as Triple Action.
The product can kill the weeds like Dandelion and Clover as well as prevent Crabgrass for four months. The fertilization can help lawn growers promote a thick green lawn for a whole year.
To justify, according to a customer’s review, after three treatments, there weren’t any dandelions in their lawn that made it a fantastic outlook. And another one claimed his grass looked thicker and reduced weeds to two-third.
Many users highly recommended the product as quick weed control and fertilizer. That gave them a beautiful and healthy lawn, as the manufacturer promised.
The one more thing to make a note of is that the plant food is formulated for Northern grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Perennial Ryegrass, Tall Fescue, and Fine Fescue.
With slow-release action, the fertilizer, which referred to a weed pre-emergent, enables to strengthen grass root growth and nourish the soil before the arrival of cold or hot weather.
Despite the fact that its fine granules are very easy to spread, home users are not supposed to apply them on their lawn if there is any breeze or on windy days.
|Scotts Turf Builder Triple Action Specifications|
When to Apply
Early spring to late fall, twice a year
10,000 sq. ft.
16-0-1 NPK ratio
An innovative 3-in-1 formula
Scotts Turf Builder Triple Action is a great option for your lawn with many significant benefits.
Best For Thick Turf: Scotts Turf Builder Thick'R Lawn Sun and Shade
- Formulated for thin lawns
- Double thicker grass after an application
- Improve the soil quality and root growth
- Easy to apply
- Vary results in different conditions of the lawn
- A bit expensive
With those who don't have enough time on lawn care continuously throughout the season, using Scotts Turf Builder Thick'R Lawn Sun and Shade is a must.
The best benefit of the product is that feed to help growers change a thin grass with a light color to become a thick and lush lawn. In general, it is up to the condition of every yard, the results are different. Landscapers should keep the soil moisture with water at the beginning and wait for 2-3 weeks to get a new outfit.
Another interest of lawn food is enhanced soil development. The high nitrogen of the NPK ratio enables nutrients to boost root growth and make the soil quality increased.
There is also efficiency for new grass for the reason that seeds fill gaps in their lawn. Even if they have a huge bald spot without being capable of planting, the yard will be different significantly after two weeks.
Fall is the best time to apply this turf builder in a lawn if the climate is warm around 60-80°F. The seeds tend to grow better without the danger of frost. Conversely, if the weather is colder, applying in spring is a better choice.
|Scotts Turf Builder Thick'R Lawn Sun and Shade Specifications|
When to Apply
Spring and fall, every 28 days
1,200 sq. ft.
9-1-1 NPK ratio
3-in-1 solution for thin lawns
Scotts Turf Builder Thick'R Lawn Sun and Shade is highly recommended to anyone who wants a dense, lush green yard.
Easy To Use: Advanced 16-4-8 Balanced NPK - Lawn Food Natural Liquid Fertilizer
- Easy to use
- Better long-term effects
- Used for all seasons
- Not a solution for insect preventing
Advanced 16-4-8 Balanced NPK comes packed with a great mixture of macronutrients along with all organic ingredients. It helps to nourish a lawn for a better long term effect as well as strengthen turf and promote a robust root system.
For the reason that the lawn food is made up of natural components, it provides clean and pure nutrients for all grass types in a whole year.
The ease of use is another highlight of the liquid products. It is packed in its dispenser that attaches a water hose. A task-to-do is to turn the tube on an appropriate level, then turn the nozzle from off and past water on all the yard.
According to some reviews from users, they found the fertilize was well made with a sturdy container. With the easy directions in the bottle, the valve was smooth to open, and the nice-pattern nozzle was accessible to control when applying.
The only thing for lawn carers to consider is that they can cause a burned lawn because of over-fertilization and not enough water to ensure the absorption.
|Advanced 16-4-8 Balanced NPK - Lawn Food Natural Liquid Fertilizer Specifications|
When to Apply
All season, every month
16-4-8 NPK ratio
No harsh chemicals
Used for all grass types
Advanced 16-4-8 Balanced NPK is the best liquid lawn fertilizer with the ease of use for lawn caretakers.
Best For Dark Green Color: Scotts Green Max Lawn Food
- Quick green-up
- Handle dry or burnt-out grass areas
- Fast-release absorption
- Safe for any types of grass
- Require more water
- Easy to burn a lawn
If lawn growers need a kind of fertilizer that enables them to treat the poor soil conditions like drought, bare spots, and burning out, Scotts Green Max Lawn Food is the best option because of its quick greening.
As a synthetic fertilizer, it comes down with high nitrogen with 5% iron supplement to promote a quick release and fast result in three days from the first application.
After being provided with macronutrients, a lawn becomes healthier with root and new blades’ growth in a deep green color. Besides, the kind of product can reliably be applied with any other type of fertilizers users already have in place.
Despite the requirement of proper watering after application to make sure the nutrients broke down through moisture application, the product is safe and friendly to children and pets.
|Scotts Green Max Lawn Food Specifications|
When to Apply
Spring, summer, fall; every six to eight weeks
10,000 sq. ft.
Feeds for deep greening
Apply to any grass type
Scotts Green Max Lawn Food is a must have for any who wants to have a fast acting lawn with a dark green color.
Best For Weed Control: Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food for New Grass Plus Weed Preventer
- Perfect for new grass
- Protect against weed
- Easy to use
- Quick growing
- A bit pricey compared to the other fertilizing system
Unlike the other seed starter fertilizers, Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food gives a rise of high quality with a dual action of seeding grass and preventing weeds.
With an ideal combination of crucial macronutrients, it promotes 70% blade development and 35% faster root growth. Only by a few weeks, a lawn will be well-covered by dense green grass.
Moreover, the blend is absorbed through roots to make weeds fail to develop and die shortly after that without damaging the grass.
As a chemical fertilizer, it has a quick-acting effect on a lawn that can meet gardeners’ demand for the seeds. Its granules are so small and full of nutrients that can be dispensed evenly around the yard by a spreader.
|Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food for New Grass Plus Weed Preventer Specifications|
When to Apply
For new grass, every 2 months
5,000 sq. ft.
24-25-4 NPK ratio
A 2-in-1 formula
Lawn caretakers regarded Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food as perfect for new grass and weed control.
Best For Root Growth: Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food
- Thicken grass for a better turf
- Promote a healthy root system
- Weed and stress control
- Easy to apply
- Could burn grass
For any lawn owners who have a little knowledge of lawn care but desire to have a healthy and attractive lawn, Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food is a perfect selection.
High nitrogen and free of phosphorus can result in a faster grass growing without continuously watering a lawn. The nutrients leak into the soil to strengthen roots and also stop weed development.
The root system is promoted and let it push out pests like Crabgrass and Weeds. The high-quality soil, moreover, prevents the unfavorable effects of the bad weather or drought on a lawn as well.
One more caution from over-applying, users can burn grass or damage their lawns. That’s why they need to follow the direction of fertilization.
|Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food Specifications|
When to Apply
Any season, every 2 months
5,000 sq. ft.
30-0-4 NPK ratio
All-in-One Particle technology
Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food is highly recommended as a lawn food for enhanced root development.
How To Choose The Best Fertilizers For Grass In Fall?
Fall lawn fertilization treated adequately will keep your grass healthy during winter and have a quick start in the spring.
Instead of pushing grass growth on your lawn, fall fertilization plays a different role that is to increase sugar storage in the grass crowns. Hearty sugar-filled tops are disease-resistant during the winter as well as able to green-up fast in the spring.
Regarding the stimulation of crown building, lawn owners need to take into consideration two things: the proper fertilizer and the right timing.
Types Of Fertilizer To Apply
- As a basic knowledge of fertilizer, NPK ratio, which indicates three main ingredients, stands for Nitrogen - Phosphorus - Potassium.
- Nitrogen is an ingredient that enables grass blades to increase sunlight-harvesting chlorophyll. More chlorophyll blades have more sugar stores in the crowns. So, the ideal fertilizer should contain a high level of nitrogen to build up a healthy lawn.
- Phosphorus is an essential factor in having a beautiful and lush lawn. However, most experts recommend that we should avoid using high-phosphorus fertilizer to prevent it from running off into the water supply. It can cause water-pollution and harm the environment.
- Potassium is functioned as a stomata located within the grass cell solution. It keeps the grass from wilting and allows water to deliver through cells. So that potassium is mobile within the plant, deficiency symptoms appear on dry or yellow grass as necrotic edges.
- In brief, a high level of nitrogen and potassium with low amounts of phosphate fertilizer is an ideal option for fall application.
Time To Apply
- Following the different soil conditions and types of grass, a fall fertilizer is supposed to apply from September to November.
- For early fall or early September, you should apply fertilizer to revitalize the green blade color after the heat stress of summer. At this time, overseeding a lawn is better because of the high nitrogen source. It also needs a regular watering schedule.
- At mid-fall, about late October, it’s time to apply lawn food for well-balanced nutrition to build a robust root system and improve soil quality.
- For late fall or late November, it’s high time as suggestions from experts for fall fertilization because the roots have many nutrients delivered at the right time. It can help your lawn to fight against the freezing weather of winter.
Which Brands Make The Best Fertilizers For Grass In Fall?
- Founded in 1868, Scotts is a leading brand of lawn and garden products in the USA. The company’s presence covers Canada and many European countries. The manufacturer produces a wide array of high-quality products such as grass seed, spreader, and fertilizers. Their scientists develop technologies to benefit a lawn as well as fit lawn owners’ needs.
Simple Lawn Solutions
- Simple Lawn Solution has built a brand name of home lawns and gardens for 27 years. The company has a long story from the origin of a Canadian family-owned company. To satisfy and meet lawn owners’ expectations, the company launched various kinds of lawn products with the best innovation.
Is it OK to fertilize a lawn in fall?
Yes, fall is the best time to fertilize a lawn. It helps to recover from the heat stress in summer and provides nutrients to the roots for cold-resistance in winter. Fall fertilization is also responsible for a quick green-up in spring.
When should I fertilize my lawn in the fall?
You should fertilize your lawn from early September to late November, before the freezing weather.
How late can you apply fall fertilizer?
The final fall fertilization should be made within November when the grass has stopped growing.
What should I do for my lawn in the fall?
You should mow your lawn first, then apply fall fertilizer in the yard. Remember to deliver moisture to help turf absorb the fertilizer.
Can you over-fertilize a lawn?
If you over-fertilize your lawn, it can not only burn the grass but also harm the turf. It fails to grow fast and balance the PH of the soil. You need to maintain the lawn to deal with future troubles from weeds and diseases. That’s why you need to follow the directions to apply the fertilizer precisely.
Using the right lawn food is a perfect choice for the health and appearance of your grass. We believe the list of the best fertilizer for grass in fall to help you get yourself lawn fertilizer to achieve the most beautiful yard in your neighborhood.