Whether you are a seasoned eggs-pert or backyard chicken beginner, finding the best way to feed your flock is paramount. If you are trying to improve the nutritional benefits of feed to their diet, but feel overwhelmed by thousands of choices out there, why not trust the experts?
Here are the best feeders for chickens you can buy in 2021:
- Best For Over 12-week Chickens: RentACoop Chicken Feeder
- Best Hanging Feeder: Your Happy Chicks 1 Qt. Chicken Feeder
- Most Versatile: Harris Farms 1000297
- Best Overall: Rentacoop Chicken Feeder Rainproof
- Best For Full-Grown Chickens: Grandpa's Feeders Automatic Chicken Feeder
- Best For Mixed Flocks: Harris Farms Hanging Poultry Feeder
|Top 6 Best Feeders For Chickens|
Best For Over 12-week Chickens
|RentACoop Chicken Feeder|
Best Hanging Feeder
|Your Happy Chicks 1 Qt. Chicken Feeder|
|Harris Farms 1000297|
|Rentacoop Chicken Feeder Rainproof|
Best For Full-Grown Chickens
|Grandpa's Feeders Automatic Chicken Feeder|
Best For Mixed Flocks
|Harris Farms Hanging Poultry Feeder|
Best For Over 12-week Chickens: RentACoop Chicken Feeder
- Can contain 20 pounds of food at a time to feed gradually up to 30 days
- Feature a creative, more secure design to protect the food better against water, hens’ poop, or other animals efficiently
- Save more food than the traditional feeding way
- 100% food grade and BPA Free Plastic for ultimate safety to your chickens’ health
- The feeding port is a bit low and narrow for roosters. Their comb tends to touch the port, which stops them from eating
- Not work with pellets
What is the biggest problem when feeding hens? Too much wasted food left, hens spill food, or other animals – like rats, squirrels, and wild birds – get in your coop looking for feed?
Well, with this creative chicken feeder, such annoying problems will be no more.
The best thing about it is it can be placed anywhere in your backyard. No need to be under a cover nor fears of rain, water splash or anything else with significantly less food wasted.
This feeder, on the other hand, can contain up to 20 pounds of food, which is enough for 2 hens within 30 days. At a time, it can feed 6 hens without waiting in line for too long.
|RentACoop Chicken Feeder Specifications|
10 x 14 x 10 inches
Holds 20 pounds of feed! We recommend one feeder for every 6 hens so they do not have to wait inline
This RentACoop Chicken Feeder is an excellent choice for those hen owners who want a new feeding way to save more food, time, and effort but still giving the best care for their chicken.
Best Hanging Feeder: Your Happy Chicks 1 Qt. Chicken Feeder
- Prevent the food from spilling, tipping, and the poop efficiently
- Wise design to help the refilling much easier and quicker
- Made in the USA -> it ensures the quality
- It’s easy to lopsided and the water spills out so make sure to keep it centered when hanging it up
- Just come in one size – it can’t fit different bottles
Your Happy Chicks is one of really rare hen feeder manufacturers based in the USA and the notable thing is, this product is made of premium quality heavy-duty ½” nylon webbing. Compared to other imported models, this hanging feeder is much superior to stay for years.
Aside from decent quality, what makes it truly outstanding is the newly redesigned to resist spilling and tipping, therefore, it keeps the poop from your coop out of the food.
Fans of this model also praise for its wise installation, which requires no removal of the harness whenever you want to refill it, which is less confusing, especially for first-time hen owners.
|Your Happy Chicks 1 Qt. Chicken Feeder Specifications|
8.4 x 5.9 x 5.6 inches
1 Qt. Hanging Harness with Plastic Bottle and Feeder Base
"S"-hook and 12-inch long chain for easy height adjustment
In the category of hanging chicken feeder, we find the Your Happy Chicks 1 Qt. is the most prominent contender based on its newly re-designed structure with decent functionalism.
Most Versatile: Harris Farms 1000297
- Specifically designed for maximum 15 hens to eat at a time with comfort
- Adequately big capacity to feed your chickens within 2-3 days – enough for a few days off
- Translucent plastic allows for tracking how full the feeder is more easily
- No lid, you must place it under a cover to prevent food from getting wet
For a big chicken coop, this Harris Farms 1000297 performs much better than the other two counterparts.
It is big enough for a maximum 15 hens to get their heads in and eat at a time. The feeder capacity is also adequate for 2 or 3 days feed, depending on how much they eat within such days.
What we like the most is its translucent plastic material allows for easier tracking of how full the feeder is.
Besides, with highlights on the simple twist lock assembly, innovative feed ring, and an open-top, this Harris Farms feeder is very easy to refill or clean.
|Harris Farms 1000297 Specifications|
11 x 11 x 9.6 inches
an Open Top
Innovative Feed Ring
Simple Twist-Lock Assembly
Feeds 5-15 Chickens
Own a big herd of hens and are going to have a few days off? Don’t worry, let this Harris Farms 1000297 be your best assistant.
Best Overall: Rentacoop Chicken Feeder Rainproof
- Sturdier and accommodate more food than the previous version to last longer and require less refilling times (even give you two capacity options – 25 pounds and 50 pounds to choose from)
- Easily screwed to a wall or placed on a stand -> versatile
- A bit heavy
- The lid isn’t sealed so it can’t be placed under a downpour rain
Our testers particularly like this Rentacoop metallic feeder although it’s much heavier than the previous version.
That’s because its heft keeps the whole feeder stay put better so if many hens eat at a time, it won’t lopsided and spill out. In addition, the metallic material is easier to be placed on a stand or screwed into a wall, implying for more versatility.
Another thing making this outstanding is its incredibly huge capacity – up to 25 pounds - to feed a bit longer. There is also the 50-pound capacity version to choose from if you have a bigger coop.
|Rentacoop Chicken Feeder Rainproof Specifications|
9.5 x 12 x 20 inches
25 pounds or 50 pounds
Chicken Feeder Rainproof Outdoor Metallic (25 Pounds)
Works great with pellets
Grain or scratch
Can be screwed into a wall or placed on a stand
If you are into the market for a durable, versatile, and waterproof hen feeder with huge capacity, don’t hesitate to pick this.
Best For Full-Grown Chickens: Grandpa's Feeders Automatic Chicken Feeder
- Can contain 40 pounds of food at once and feed 12 hens within 10 days with no food stuck at the back
- Side guards avoid side feeding efficiently, reducing the risks of your chicken fighting each other
- Boost egg production
- The lid is not completely sealed to handle in downpour rains
For industrial use with a huge flock, it’s worth investing in this Grandpa’s Feeder.
It’s an automatic hen feeder solution using sloped back for true gravity feeding to make sure no food stuck at the back. There is also a cover on its top and two side guards to stop other hens from side feeding, which keeps them against fighting each other for food.
What really caught our attention at first was its two training bolts which limit the hens’ movement and also instruct them how to use. Such a feed-on-demand structure is a great way to boost higher egg production.
|Grandpa's Feeders Automatic Chicken Feeder Specifications|
22 x 18 x 16 inches
Grandpa's Feeders Automatic Chicken Feeder
Hold 40 lbs (18 kg) of feed
Feeds approximately 12 chickens for 10 days
Specifically designed for feeding full-grown chickens to eat more efficiently, the Grandpa’s Feeders Automatic is
Best For Mixed Flocks: Harris Farms Hanging Poultry Feeder
- The lightest out of three for easier usage
- Offer 3 height adjustments -> allow you to decide how much feed dispensed at the same time
- Wild birds still can steal the food or hens climb on top the feeder to poop on their food
- Its cover can’t resist the rain if there’re also strong gusts
This Harris Farms Hanging Feeder is another convenient solution for your flocks, especially mixed flocks because it features 3 height adjustment options for the amount of feed dispensed at a time.
But rest assured, it’s still designed for minimal food waste and the feeding can’t be easier. All you need to do is adjusting the spring-loaded clips.
This feeder can hold 15 pounds of food and depend on the height option you choose, it can feed up to 30 small birds at a time. Regardless, it is extremely lightweight so you can easily lift it up and hang on something.
|Harris Farms Hanging Poultry Feeder Specifications|
11.6 x 11.6 x 11 inches
15-30 small birds
Heavy-duty galvanized steel construction
3-position height adjustment
Feeds 15-30 birds
For those who own mixed flocks and want fast fi
How To Choose The Best Feeders For Chickens?
Age Of Your Hens
- You might be wondering why this factor is important?
- It’s because too young ones are prone to crawl inside the feeder, get stuck there, and might have some unwanted injury while trying to escape, like break their beak, wings, or worse, die.
- You should consult from the manufacturer because each product will be specifically designed for a certain group of chicken age for the highest efficiency and safety.
- This factor is decided by the number of chickens needed feeding.
- If you own a small flock and don’t plan to upscale the number, a small to the medium-sized feeder is a great choice. Start from 3 pounds would be ideal, at least for each meal.
- But in case it’s a big flock, rather than buying a big-sized feeder, we advise going for several medium-sized models. Why? This method is efficient in preventing your chickens from fighting together for food, especially when they’re starving.
- The feed capacity is also influenced by how many times you can feed your hens. For example, if you’re usually away for 2 or 3 days, the feeders now must feature the higher capacity to contain enough food during such amount of time.
- For big flocks, you should consider anything more than 5 pounds to ensure the minimum amount of food for each meal.
We are not talking about the fashion aspect, but the practicality of the feeder. The best feeder design for chickens should feature:
- Reasonably wide ports for hens to get their head or beak inside and eat
- Prevent other animals from getting into your coop and steal the food or mice biting through
- Avoid hens spilling on their food
- Waterproof ability (though this factor is also decided by its material as well)
- Easy to refill or clean
Which Brands Make The Best Feeders For Chickens?
- We are interested in the story behind RentACoop – a company founded in 2012 by the husband and wife - Tyler Phillips and Diana. What we impressed the most is how carefully they listen to their customers’ feedback to improve their products. And besides, the services can’t be better.
- We appreciate that over 40 years in the industry, Harris Farms still keeps it as a family-owned company although they’re a big brand now with over 1500 employees and 26 stores across NSW and Sydney. What makes their chicken feeders outstanding is versatility aside from good services and quality.
- The brand was founded from the same frustration of losing valuable food to rats, mice, and squirrels, like most other hen owners. That’s why their products are highly reviewed in practicality, durability, and function.
Should I hang my chicken feeder?
Yes, you should.
Compared to placing a feeder on the ground, hanging it will put an end to your hens’ spendthrift ways and help you save more food.
How many feeders are needed for chickens?
The maximum number of hens that a feeder can serve at a time will decide how many you should have for your flocks.
How high off the ground should a chicken feeder be?
You should start by placing feeders directly on the ground to educate your hens where to get food. Then, place them on one layer of 2”x4” scrap with 1.5” high and then taller. But don’t hang it any higher than 6” off the ground.
Do you put food and water in the chicken coop at night?
Yes, you do.
Hens will find food and water whenever they are awake so just ensure to provide some either indoor or outdoor for them.
Can chickens stay in the coop all day?
It’s usually when your hens are during their egg hatching stage.
Keeping your flock healthy and happy is easily made with the best feeder for chicken.
The top 6 options we’ve provided above were carefully researched, tested, and categorized by our experts with the hope to help you find out the right one.
And now, this is the end of this article. Thanks a lot for reading!