Need a new metal detector to have a high-quality detecting experience for a fraction of the cost? Let us help you!
We’ve chosen the best metal detectors in the low and mid-range prices. And below, are our six favorite selections.
Here are the best budget metal detectors you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall: SUNPOW Metal Detector High Accuracy Metal Detector
- Best For Beach: RM RICOMAX Professional Metal Detector GC-1037
- Best For Gold & Silver: Bounty Hunter QSI Quick Silver Metal Detector 88
- Best Overall: Garrett ACE 300 Metal Detector with Waterproof Coil and Headphone Plus Accessories 254
- Best For Coins: Garrett Metal Detectors ACE 400 55 Year Anniversary Special, GAR1141255 386
- Best For Gold & Silver: Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro Metal Detector 259
|Top 6 Best Budget Metal Detectors|
|SUNPOW Metal Detector High Accuracy Metal Detector||Read Our Review|
Best For Beach
|RM RICOMAX Professional Metal Detector GC-1037||Read Our Review|
Best For Gold & Silver
|Bounty Hunter QSI Quick Silver Metal Detector 88||Read Our Review|
|Garrett ACE 300 Metal Detector with Waterproof Coil and Headphone Plus Accessories 254||Read Our Review|
Best For Coins
|Garrett Metal Detectors ACE 400 55 Year Anniversary Special, GAR1141255 386||Read Our Review|
Best For Gold & Silver
|Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro Metal Detector 259||Read Our Review|
Best Overall: SUNPOW Metal Detector High Accuracy Metal Detector
- Easy to use and assemble
- High accuracy detection
- Adjustable length for adults and kids
- Good depth, 7.1 inches
- Suitable for different terrains, 10-inch waterproof coil
- Non-waterproof control box
- Take a while for display setting reading and learning
SUNPOW OT-MD03 is a perfect choice if your goal is to find a useful detecting device on the whole at a budget-friendly price point.
In fact, in all areas of its strengths, the ease of use is superior thanks to its ergonomic design. The device features a large LCD to display the modes, sensitivity level, battery status, and detection depth at all.
Coupled with the ON or OFF light buttons, users can turn off the light to save power consumption on the day as well as turn on the light to have a hunt in the dark. It helps to last its operation longer with the requirement of two 9-volt alkaline batteries.
Ten inches waterproof coil and length adjustable stem is also a key plus. It allows you to discover the land outdoor on any surface without any obstacles, even under the water.
High accuracy detection is another quality of SUNPOW OT-MD03 that consumers recommended as one of the best power detection on the market.
With the capability of detecting all metal types, DISC enables you to find your targets accurately without finding junk metal that you don’t need in a straightway.
Moreover, its unique audio can alert if your coil reaches close to the target. Then, pinpoint functions to spot exactly where the object is. The high depth up to 7.1 inches makes your hunting possible and easy.
Even so, it may take time for users to learn how to use the display box smoothly before a few runs. It will be fine if you master the system to have the best performance.
|SUNPOW Metal Detector High Accuracy Metal Detector Specifications|
21 x 11 x 5.8 inches
3 modes of operation
Length adjustable from 33 to 40.6 inches
Two 9-Volt alkaline battery required
Whether it’s a thoroughly adventurous journey for treasure hunting up the mountain or on the beach, with SUNPOW OT-MD03, be confident!
Best For Beach: RM RICOMAX Professional Metal Detector GC-1037
- Waterproof coil search coil and stem
- High detection depth, 8.7 inches
- Super-large display control
- Two 9-volt alkaline batteries and a headphone not including.
RM RICOMAX GC-1037 is specifically designed for the beach.
One of the essential qualities of the product is its ergonomic design. With a large size of 48 x 10 x 10 inches and ultra-lightweight construction, the underwater metal detector is expected to be easy to use.
Following this, the stem and search coil is waterproof with an IP68 rating that allows treasure explorers to detect valuable stuff underwater with confidence.
The stem is also well-constructed with aluminum, while the 10-inch search coil is enclosed by a layer of plastic that ensures superior durability and easy maintenance.
The 20% larger control panel with nine adjustable screen brightness modes enables detectorists to be advantageous in the finding of hidden metals.
Further, three search modes of the all-metal, disc, and pinpoint settings and high depth up to 8.7 inches helps you search for your wanted objects accurately.
Despite the fact that the digital display is not water-resistant, the device is a good one to submerge something.
|RM RICOMAX Professional Metal Detector GC-1037 Specifications|
48 x 10 x 10 inches
An IP68 waterproof unit
29 adjustable screen modes
Waterproof, lightweight materials, ultra-large LCD screen, and some extra balancing features make RM RICOMAX GC-1037 an excellent metal detector for the beach.
Best For Gold & Silver: Bounty Hunter QSI Quick Silver Metal Detector 88
- Super simple to use
- Good ground balance
- High discrimination
- Easy to view LCD display
- Moderate detection depth, 7 inches
With Bounty Hunter QSI Quick Silver Metal Detector 88, we particularly like a simple-to-use design that delivers a coin detection depth up to 7 inches. One thing to note: This tool would be an excellent choice for gold and silver prospecting.
One of the secrets to refer to the product from Bounty Hunter to a golden detector comes Squelch-tech automatic ground balance. It helps to neutralize the response to the mineral content within the ground and ignore false signals as well.
Hence, users don't have the necessity of digging unwanted objects any longer, so they save a lot of time.
The next contribution of a golden detector is its very easy-to-view LCD screen with 4-segment digital target identification as well as 3-tone audio alert and a pinpointer. These features aim to identify these buried objects as well as locate them as fast as possible.
Most metal detectors for gold and silver prospecting are not complicated but simple because they focus on their power and accuracy.
Even though there are no headphones or batteries, including, many consumers are highly rated this product as the best one for entry-level detectorists.
|Bounty Hunter QSI Quick Silver Metal Detector 88 Specifications|
28.5 x 10.2 x 6.2 inches
5-year limited warranty
4-Segment digital target identification
3-Tone audio identification
Designed with a neat built-in pinpointer and tons of detection features, these excellent metal detectors from Bounty Hunter are fantastic for treasure diggers to prospect gold and silver.
Best Overall: Garrett ACE 300 Metal Detector with Waterproof Coil and Headphone Plus Accessories 254
- Good price
- High detection power
- Ease of use
- Long battery life
- No iron audio
These Garrett ACE 300 Metal Detectors are incredibly lightweight for entry-level use, and yet, they pack a ton.
First of all, Garrett ACE 300 metal detector is an excellent on-budget device with a kit of free accessories such as ACE environmental cover-up, 7 inches x 10 inches search coil cover, and Easy tow headphone with volume control.
Besides, the ease of use is another prominent highlight of these tools. With 4 AA batteries, you can use the machine in a long 40-hour operating time; moreover, you can reduce energy consumption if using a headphone.
Further, it features a multi-function control box that is superior to the Garrett ACE 200. A built-in pinpoint, and five search modes, for example. This type is also well-equipped with eight sensitivity levels and three audible alert tones that help to identify the target more accurately.
|Garrett ACE 300 Metal Detector with Waterproof Coil and Headphone Plus Accessories 254 Specifications|
10 x 7 x 51 inches
4 AA batteries required
Length adjustable (40 - 53 inches)
If you are looking for a powerful metal detector at a bargain price as Garrett ACE 300, look no further.
Best For Coins: Garrett Metal Detectors ACE 400 55 Year Anniversary Special, GAR1141255 386
- Ergonomic design
- Easy to use
- Great features for detection
- Quick target identification
- Iron audio depends on some certain ground conditions, not at all.
- It takes time to set a range of digital target ID.
If your goal is to find the best metal detector for coin hunting, Garrett Metal Detectors ACE 400 is the top-in-line of products.
This machine is listed as the top-notch one in the metal detector system, so there are many positive comments about its features and benefits. However, in this list, we just focus on its valuable qualities to make it the number one to detect coins.
Indeed, ACE 400 is a robust machine with a range of high features, such as lightweight design; adjustable stem between 40 inches and 53 inches; long battery time, three-tone audio system and a submersible search coil.
On the back, we can’t deny that the operation frequency up to 10 kHz plays an important role in hunting coins. This figure shows that the detector is more sensitive to search out small or medium-sized targets.
Plus good balancing depth and sensitivity, these features help a tool have a better coverage.
Iron audio is also the superb aspect compared to the other ACE products. It allows users to hear discriminated iron targets, so they can adjust the signal range to take them.
Last but not least, due to one of five search modes, coin mode helps you to eliminate common trash items and hunt more coins. The LCD screen also provides much useful information, like a numeric target ID, for coin hunting better than before.
|Garrett Metal Detectors ACE 400 55 Year Anniversary Special, GAR1141255 386 Specifications|
21.4 x 14.6 x 5.7 inches
An adjustable stem (40 - 53 inches),, iron audio, 0-99 digital target ID
For all these reasons above, Garrett Metal Detectors ACE 400 is excellent for professional users to hunt more coins.
Best For Gold & Silver: Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro Metal Detector 259
- High accuracy
- Easy to use
- The pinpoint button doesn’t work firmly.
Much lighter than any Bounty Hunter's products but pack a bunch, this model – with its high power – is an extremely great use for gold and silver diggers.
One of the essential qualities to confirm this model is a distinct design for gold and silver is its wide range of defection features.
It is well-constructed with an adjustable stem and an eleven-inch waterproof coil that helps to modify its length according to users' height.
As we mentioned above, most metal detectors for gold and silver are made easy to use and accessible, but this model is reverse. An LCD screen is more extensive with many function settings like V-break, Pinpoint mode, 0-99 target ID, 4-tone audio as well as 7-search-modes.
All of these features allow you to spot valuable objects precisely and make your hunting more fantastic. Moreover, a 5-year limited warranty is also a plus.
|Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro Metal Detector 259 Specifications|
45 x 8 x 14 inches
5-year limited warranty
4-tone audio ID
7-modes of operation
Looking for something ultra-lightweight, easy to use, and powerful for gold and silver prospecting? Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro is the shiniest metal detector!
How To Choose The Best Budget Metal Detectors?
- The six metal detectors above are all excellent choices that constantly let you keep in mind the question that “Which is the best for me?”.
- First, please consider what type of your targets or where you intend to be in treasure hunting. Most metal detectors are all submersible with waterproof coil and stem; remember that the control box isn’t.
- Second, it’s better for you to be familiar with the terms and features like ground balance, sensitivity, discrimination, operating frequency and target identification. It enables you to understand and read the functions and benefits of a product.
- Thirdly, there are also a wide range of control boxes from easy-to-view to multi-modes on screen that support your hobbies. Some display few modes, some stand out with various settings. They also come down with some outputs like headphone jack, audio and automatic light.
- Last but not a least, budget is an important factor to take into consideration. For the first metal detector, you can range between $100 and $400 to earn a good option with high performance that is worth your money.
Which Brands Make The Best Budget Metal Detectors?
- Even though SUNPOW is a young company, it still impresses consumers by a range of products such as packable travel duffel bags, diaper bags, resistance bands, and metal detectors. Most of them have a dynamic design with all-around qualities at a bargain price that meets many consumers’ demand and satisfaction.
- Started from a new brand, RM Ricomax has been providing the most cost-effective metal detectors for both professional and entry-level uses. Their products are available on the market from low to high end that ensures high quality and technology.
- Founded in the 1970s, an American company became a manufacturer of metal detectors for treasure hunters with the name - Bounty Hunter. Until now, having sold to the company “First Texas Products” in the 1990s, Bounty Hunter has been earning the trust of metal detectors for their reliability.
Which form of metal detector is better?
Each type has its strengths, so it’s difficult to decide which type is better.
VLF (very low frequency) detectors have a low frequency from 6-20 kHz that can discriminate the metal types.
PI (pulse induction) detectors have high frequency and pulsed signals that can detect buried objects at a lower depth than VLF.
FBS (full-band spectrum) detectors can use multiple frequencies simultaneously that helps to use several slightly differently tuned detectors at the same time.
How deep do most metal detectors go?
As far as we are concerned, a standard metal detector can detect up to ten inches beneath the ground for coin-sized targets, or up to 16 inches for large-sized objects in good condition.
How can you tell if a metal is underground?
The audio alert on the control panel sounds “beep” at any tone if a metal is identified.
How much does a really good metal detector cost?
It’s not easy to answer because it depends on many factors from the size, type of a machine to its features and function. Generally, a perfect metal detector cost from $200 above.
Can you go metal detecting anywhere?
Not at all. Some metal detectors are submersible, but some are hard to use in saltwater. One more thing to note is: the stem and coil are waterproof, but the control box isn’t.
That’s all for our best budget metal detector reviews. Remember to choose the one that best suits your needs. Thanks for reading!