To have a fully functioning workshop, you must have a miter saw. There are several types and sizes of miter saws, but today, we will focus on the sliding compound type and 12-inch size.
Among countless models on the market, how can you know which one is the best 12-inch sliding compound miter saw for you?
Here are the best 12-inch sliding compound miter saws you can buy in 2024:
- Best Overall: DEWALT DWS779
- Best For Wider Cross Cuts: Bosch Power Tools GCM12SD
- Best For High Precision Cuts: SKILSAW SPT88-01
- Powerful: DEWALT DWS709
- Best For Efficient Cutting: Makita LS1219L
|5 Best 12-Inch Sliding Compound Miter Saws
Best For Wider Cross Cuts
|Bosch Power Tools GCM12SD
Best For High Precision Cuts
Best For Efficient Cutting
Best Overall: DEWALT DWS779
- Able to capture 75% of generated dust – efficient dust collection system
- Reliable - backed by the manufacturer’s 3-year limited warranty
- Powerful for the size – a 3800RPM motor
- No laser cutting guide
- Not include LED lights
Our most favorite 12” sliding compound miter saw is the DEWALT DWS779 because of its unparalleled performance and precision cuts.
Whether it is plywood or beams, its dual bevel can make the perfect crosscuts. As advertised, its dust collection system is super-efficient that can capture up to 75% of generated dust.
You’ll benefit from its exclusive back fence design that is able to cut up to 2x12 dimensional lumber at 45 degrees and 2x14 at 90 degrees.
Last but not least, this sliding compound miter saw is backed by the manufacturer’s 3-year limited warranty.
|DEWALT DWS779 Specifications
2x12 at 45 degree
2x14 dimensional lumber at 90 degree
Miter Angle Range
50 degrees to the left, 60 degrees to the right.
49º bevel left and right.
efficient dust collection system
backed by the manufacturer’s 3-year limited warranty
a 3800RPM motor
If precision cuts and decent performance equals more efficient work, the DEWALT DWS779 is the best overall option for you.
Best For Wider Cross Cuts: Bosch Power Tools GCM12SD
- Deliver better alignment and wider crosscuts yet still compact – the patented axial glide system
- Offer highly accurate cuts - bevel range of 47 degrees left and right
- User-friendly – feature roof pitch angles, marked detents, stainless steel miter scales, and a large easy to read uniform bevel
- The dust collection system needs some improvement
This saw is great! It cuts smoothly and accurately while the patented axial glide system allows for better alignment and wider crosscuts with no compromise of its compactness.
Compared to most other counterparts at the same power generated, this one is around 12” smaller. The bevel range of 47 degrees left and right make cuts with higher accuracy. If you are a beginner, rest assured, it is quite easy to use.
While its square lock release fences don’t require complicated adjustment for support, the machine itself is simple to adjust. It gives you roof pitch angles, marked detents, stainless steel miter scales, and a large easy to read uniform bevel.
|Bosch Power Tools GCM12SD Specifications
Miter Angle Range
52° Left, 60° Right
47° left and 47° right
the patented axial glide system
bevel range of 47 degrees left and right
feature roof pitch angles, marked detents, stainless steel miter scales, and a large easy to read uniform bevel
Anyone who needs a 12” sliding compound miter saw that can offer wider crosscuts should not ignore the Bosch Power Tools GCM12SD
Best For High Precision Cuts: SKILSAW SPT88-01
- Offer superbly accurate cuts - adjustable 0 ̊ and 45 ̊ bevel stop & LED shadow light
- High flexibility - dual bevel cutting capacity
- Functional & able to afford any cutting task - ultra-wide crosscut capacity & 15-amp dual-field motor
- Great maneuverability – a top handle
- No quick measurement scale
- Poor dust bag collection
- Sliding fences are a bit annoying
Highlighting adjustable 0 ̊ and 45 ̊ bevel stop, the SKILSAW SPT88-01 stands out from the rest to offer superb accuracy of cuts. Besides, it gives you extra flexibility thanks to the dual bevel cutting capacity, offering both right and left cuts.
You can easily handle any cut required for a job due to its ultra-wide crosscut capacity.
Even for extended cutting jobs, it can work flawlessly, too.
The 15-amp dual-field motor is key to keep itself from overheat issues while the worm drive offers relentless power, hence, offering longer work duration with higher efficiency and trusted durability.
We do appreciate the included LED shadow light for extra accuracy. Whenever you want to move it to somewhere or store away, the top handle comes in handy.
|SKILSAW SPT88-01 Specifications
4 x 14 cross cut
Miter Angle Range
Left 50° & right 60°
0 ̊ and 45 ̊
adjustable 0 ̊ and 45 ̊ bevel stop & LED shadow light
dual bevel cutting capacity
ultra-wide crosscut capacity & 15-amp dual-field motor
a top handle
Look no further than the SKILSAW SPT88-01 if your goal is a good 12” sliding compound miter saw for high precision cuts.
Powerful: DEWALT DWS709
- Able to handle a multitude of lumbers and cuts - a powerful and smooth 15-amp 3800RPM motor
- High flexibility degree - Adjustable miter detent plate + 10 positive stops
- Safe and easy to use - Oversized bevel scale
- No laser cutting guide
- The dust collection bag sticks out way too far off the back
DeWalt tools have a well-established reputation for durability and quality, and this one is no exception. It emphasizes a powerful and smooth 15-amp 3800RPM motor that can handle a multitude of lumbers and cuts.
Compared to other brands, this one packs a lot more power to easily tear the laminate with a sliding cut than straight down.
It is also able to cut base moldings up to 5 inches.
It can accomplish longer miters and crosscuts on up to 14”-wide boards like a champ due to its high flexibility degree. Meanwhile, the price is a steal.
|DEWALT DWS709 Specifications
2x10 at 45 degrees
2x14 dimensional lumber at 90 degrees
Miter Angle Range
60 degrees to the right and 50 degrees to the left
45 degrees in either direction.
a powerful and smooth 15-amp 3800RPM motor
Adjustable miter detent plate + 10 positive stops
Oversized bevel scale
Based on its powerful performance, the DEWALT DWS709 is more than enough for weekend warriors, and even professionals without breaking the bank.
Best For Efficient Cutting: Makita LS1219L
- Enhance the material stability level - oversized aluminum base
- Deliver dead-on precision cuts - the linear ball bearing system
- Long-lasting & easy to start - soft starts
- Made in China
For efficient cutting, the Makita LS1219L is absolutely fantastic.
It stands out from other brands by featuring an oversized aluminum base to enhance the material stability level. As a result, cutting efficiency is increased.
It also delivers dead-on precision cuts thanks to the linear ball bearing system.
Another notable thing that makes this 12” sliding compound miter saw outstanding is its soft starts. By suppressing start-up reaction, it extends the gear life while offerings smoother start-ups.
Fans of this wonderful saw also commend its portability due to the decent lightness and compact design.
|Makita LS1219L Specifications
15" crosscuts at 90
6-3/4" baseboard (vertical)
8" Crown molding (vertically nested)
Miter Angle Range
0° to 60° left and right
0° to 48° (left and right)
oversized aluminum base
the linear ball bearing system
The incredibly efficient cutting of Makita LS1219L will definitely wow you. If that is also what you’re looking for, don’t hesitate to choose it.
How To Choose The Best 12-Inch Sliding Compound Miter Saw?
Most corded miter saw motors have 10Amp, 12Amp, or 15Amp motors.
While more amps mean more power, you can handle most jobs with a 10Amp motor. On the other hand, a higher-power motor allows for cutting larger boards and they don’t heat up quickly if used constantly.
Cordless miter saws usually come with a 20V battery and can handle 150-275 cuts on average with one charge.
When talking about the blade, we mean the blade size. As a rule of thumb, a larger blade will make larger cuts. Typically, you can choose either 10 inches or 12 inches in size, but you can also find small blades of only 4 inches in size.
In addition, you need to think about the tooth count.
Larger blades tend to have more teeth and smaller ones will have fewer teeth, and with the same blade size, the more teeth the smoother the cuts.
However, if you cut thick material, you should get fewer teeth.
The cutting ability is very important as the accuracy of the cuts and the cutting angles.
- Bevel: it allows the saw to tilt and rotate the base, which helps you change the cutting angle. You should examine the bevel when browsing miter saw models.
- Reliable lock: a reliable lock maintains the lock position so that the saw won’t move out of place when you’re cutting. This will make sure the cut is accurate and ensure safety for you.
- Positive stops or predetermined positions: these factors are set to the most common cutting angles. This way, you can alter your cut for the specific angles. Some saws even have switches that let you change cuts quickly with just one touch.
There’s no denying that saws pose certain dangers to the user, which is why you must look for safety features.
- Saw guard: the name suggests what it does, helping you avoid accidents.
- Saw stand: it provides better cuts and a stable base as you cut.
- Electric brakes: they quickly halt the blade when you need to.
Which Brands Make The Best 12-Inch Sliding Compound Miter Saw?
Over the past 115 years, this brand has been specializing in electric tools. It promises the best-in-class products for you that deliver durability, performance, and power.
Founded in 1922, DeWALT has since become one of the most reliable places to buy power tools. Its products are designed to increase versatility and productivity for users.
Since 2003, this brand has been offering power tools and accessories with the aim of enhancing the user experience. It’s best known for innovation in each product.
With 96 years of experience in the industry, this is a leading brand when it comes to electric saws. It offers high-quality, efficient products for you.
Is a sliding miter saw worth it?
It’s worth an investment if you use it for the right purpose, which is cutting bevels and miters into wide boards.
Do I really need a dual bevel miter saw?
You will need it if you want to make your work easier, quicker, and more professional. If you are a regular user and don’t do projects very often, you may not really need it.
How big of a board will a 12-inch miter saw cut?
A 12-inch miter saw can cut a 2x8 board at 90 degrees.
Should I get a 10- or 12-inch miter saw?
The answer to this question depends on your own needs and preference. A 10-inch saw spins faster while a 12-inch saw spins more slowly. A 12-inch saw has more cutting power and cutting capacity, but a 10-inch saw offers smoother and faster cuts. On the other hand, a 10-inch saw costs less.
Will a 12 sliding miter saw cut a 6x6?
According to many users, a 12-inch sliding miter saw won’t cut through a 6x6 board.
We hope that this post has helped you figure out what to look for in the best 12-inch sliding compound miter saw. Apart from all the factors related to cutting performance, don’t forget to take safety into account.